• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question

Just bought a new 2017 outback Subaru is there anything I can do to get rid of the new car smell my wife is allergic to it, and if you're wondering I bought it for its off-road capability Bill thank you

How are you doing I haven't spoken with you since the Expo but no I don't want to go out and hit a skunk too funny but I need to get rid of that new car smell I like it but my wife is allergic to it and the O-Zone machines are pretty pricey I'm reading up on them now didn't know anything about them, how's your photography coming, I've taken a couple of shots of Yosemite scoping out some areas and can't wait for the first snow so I can get back up to Yosemite you have a great day and thanks for the advice Bill.

- - - Updated - - -

King, I've been looking at O-Zone machines and there's a small one that fits into your cigarette lighter do you know about that one and if so how well does it work Bill...

I'm not familiar with the small 12V ozone generators. I guess I was thinking that you may be able to borrow or rent a good size one. Doing a thorough wipe down of the interior before using the ozone machine would be a good plan, as suggested here. Just being able to leave the windows or doors open for some time on a nice day may help. I heard that activated charcoal, I think it is, that's used in aquariums is supposed to absorb odors. Never did find any of that to try myself. Check out www.ammonyc.com sometime. There are a lot of great detailing tips on this site. I don't recall Larry dealing with new car smell exactly, but you could shoot him off an email and get his thoughts. He probably would have some good tips on dealing with this.

I'm not familiar with the small 12V ozone generators. I guess I was thinking that you may be able to borrow or rent a good size one. Doing a thorough wipe down of the interior before using the ozone machine would be a good plan, as suggested here. Just being able to leave the windows or doors open for some time on a nice day may help. I heard that activated charcoal, I think it is, that's used in aquariums is supposed to absorb odors. Never did find any of that to try myself. Check out www.ammonyc.com sometime. There are a lot of great detailing tips on this site. I don't recall Larry dealing with new car smell exactly, but you could shoot him off an email and get his thoughts. He probably would have some good tips on dealing with this.

King, as it is right now I bought the car on Saturday 17 September and all I have done is research with everyone's help here and left the windows open that doesn't really help much but with your suggestion and I will contact Larry the charcoals a good idea I haven't found a place to rent an ozone machine but I think that's a good idea it doesn't bother me I kind the smell but I have to say thank you to everyone for your help frankly it's priceless thanks Bill...

Heat is your best option. Leave the car in the full sun with the windows just down slightly for a full day. Then drive with your windows fully down to disperse the gasses released by the new carpeting/seat covers. Once in the garage, leave the windows down. You should have a noticeable difference in the interior smell.

Back