• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

R&P question

If i were to have to drop down my tranny to replace some of the synchros, would I get much of a benefit of installing the R&P 4.55 set with the config i have? I only have a DALI chip and Comptech exhaust..(would probably add intake and headers at that time too) Also does the R&P set make the RPM range shorter as in the gears dont last as long? I know that when my friend put 4.10 gears in his cobra he gained a little acceleration, but lost top speed... same principle right? thanks for the info -E

There's discussion of the benefits at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/gears.htm

Briefly, the principle is the same as your friend's Cobra, with quicker acceleration at the expense of top end and fuel economy. The rpm's don't change; the engine still runs at the same speeds as before. But the gearing changes, so that those engine speeds occur at a slower road speed than with the stock R&P.

So the R&P set is going to make my NSX accelerate faster off the line but reduce the top speed? and with the short gears, that just makes it so that when u shift, it puts you in the best place in the next gear rather than changing ratios right? are there any other down sides to the short gears or R&P other than the obvious? just so i'm clear... thanks

So the R&P set is going to make my NSX accelerate faster off the line but reduce the top speed?

Yes.

and with the short gears, that just makes it so that when u shift, it puts you in the best place in the next gear rather than changing ratios right?

The short gears put you in a better place when accelerating and upshifting from first to second. They do this at the expense of putting you at a worse place for the upshifts at higher gears.

are there any other down sides to the short gears or R&P other than the obvious?

Well, there's the obvious one, the cost of the upgrades. Also, they may not give you as much value as spending the same money on upgrades that will give you more power. This is written up in the "What are the Numbers?" part of the "Gears" section of the FAQ. Compare the acceleration of gearing changes with those of adding 20 hp, for example.

Also, look through this same section for other downsides, like increased noise with the 4.55 R&P, as well as the previously-mentioned fuel economy decrease.

I replaced my stock gears with the Japanese short gears and the Japanese 4.23 R&P. The transformation of the car is fantastic.
First, because the R&P is a Honda part it makes no noise. Not like the Comptech 4.55 (from what I've heard and read).
Second, the shift points keep the engine right in the fat part of VTEC when shifting at the red line. For example, whereas the old 1-2 upshift used to drop the engine down to about 4400 RPM it now is at about 5800. What is the hp curve like on most NSXes? I can tell you that the differnce in hp from 4400 RPM to 5800 RPM for my car, with moderate mods, is about 65 hp!!!
Wouldn't you like to add 65 horses to your 1-2 upshift?

Back