• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho
  • ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

R-Type Hood question?

Hello,

I want to install the R-type hood on year 2000. I don't know who would be the best to buy for the perfect fitment and no vibrations on freeway. Oh, also reasonable price.
I looked at:

science of speed.com; Downforce; Daliracing. I have no ideas which is the best fitment and no vibrations on freeway for my car. One is more expensive than others, but it does not mean better.

Please recommend. Thank you

Thank you for your input. Science of Speed has a carbon hood for $799 and he claims that he has no complaints of fitments from his clients, but more complaints from Taitec which is 2x more expensive. Is that true, if any of you have bought it from them?

I'm on the fence about the Type-R hood myself, but have read good reviews about the VIS hood being one of the better fitting ones at a very reasonable price. Hope that helps.

I just purchased an used VIS two weeks ago, the hood was made in 04 and the fit is good. :cool:

i asked vip for 02+ type r hood. VIS only produces fiber glass which is sad. i wish they would make a CF for 02+ type r hood.

for fixed headlights, you definitely gonna go VIS. best fitment and reasonable price.

Do you want the Type R "Style" hood for the look or for functionality?

If you just want the look, don't care for the ugly bottom side, that's why when they advertise the hood, they never show the underside; with 95% fitment, VIS will do just fine. It is the cheapest option.

If you planning on doing the under cover, DF is your hood. The duct is the exact replica of the Type R Hood. The fitment is 99% with "proper" skeleton underside. You get the same with Procar, but it is not within your appointed price range.

There is the replica by Synergy, it is cheaply priced, but also cheaply made (from the look of it, it is a Procar or DF knock off). The upside is, you get replication of the functional air duct. From the pictures presented from another thread, the gaps are fairly substantial.

Good luck.

Thank you. I will get Vancehu's suggestion. I will get DF and I will be happier everytime I open up the hood.

Thank you , all

There are several different options for the DF version. FRP Top, CFRP bottom version will give you a smooth top side and beautiful CF underside if you desire to have the top painted. It will also save you some moola. If you opt to get the CFRP top and bottom, they can have it candy clear coated for you if you have a black car, it looks sharp!!!

BTW, if you're within the driving distance to DF (S. Cal), go there and see how it is made. You will be impressed. If you need it shipped, talk to Erick/EVOF575GTC. He will take care of it for you.

I have Taitec hood for 02 headlamp. The side to side fit is not too bad about 3-5mm gap which can be fix by moving the fenders a bit in. The hood to bumper gap is about 7mm.

Thank you for your input. Science of Speed has a carbon hood for $799 and he claims that he has no complaints of fitments from his clients, but more complaints from Taitec which is 2x more expensive. Is that true, if any of you have bought it from them?

There are several different options for the DF version. FRP Top, CFRP bottom version will give you a smooth top side and beautiful CF underside if you desire to have the top painted. It will also save you some moola. If you opt to get the CFRP top and bottom, they can have it candy clear coated for you if you have a black car, it looks sharp!!!

BTW, if you're within the driving distance to DF (S. Cal), go there and see how it is made. You will be impressed. If you need it shipped, talk to Erick/EVOF575GTC. He will take care of it for you.

Vance, you daman! Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to SD in Oct. and I might have a chance to see them (DownForce).

Hello,
Just wanted to offer you a free test fitment and quality inspection if you come to our new facility in Anaheim. And Vance come on by to our new shop I think you will like it alot better =):wink:

spend the extra money and get all the options that's offered.
a little money goes a long way on the nsx.
mine looks way better than vance's nsx-r clone. :biggrin:

DSCN0967_copy.jpg

11497cruise136_1_.jpg

hands downs - Downforce has the best looking and fitting NSX-R hoods.
11497100_3042_copy.jpg

Last edited:
spend the extra money and get all the options that's offered.
a little money goes a long way on the nsx.
mine looks way better than vance's nsx-r clone. :biggrin:

I will be down there in Oct. 2 or around that weeekend. Can you elaborate "Spend the extra money and get all the options that's offered". Do you mean that I would get a better deal?

A lot of people are satisfied with the VIS hood especially for the cost including myself. If money was disposal to me then yes I would have the DF hood and my car would look better than Eric's and Vance's:biggrin:. I would prefer the deeper scoop of the DF, and FWIW, get the radiator duct as well. I have the Dali RHD duct. Yes you lose the spare but you have a functioning hood.:wink:

As Vance quoted, the bottom side of VIS is ugly, not functional and it is mainly for the look. My car does not have a spare tire when I bought it. So I guess it would not matter to me.

Again thank you for all the suggestions.

Just curious, putting aside the fact that the underside may not be esthetically pleasing on some hoods, when reference is made to a hood being "nonfunctional," exactly what is being referred or meant by the person who is posting this claim?

Less volume of air directed out of the vent compared to what benchmark? The actual Type-R, another aftermarket hood copy of Type R? If so how does the other compare to the original Type R? With or without the radiator duct - which radiator duct? Etc. ...........

Just curious, putting aside the fact that the underside may not be esthetically pleasing on some hoods, when reference is made to a hood being "nonfunctional," exactly what is being referred or meant by the person who is posting this claim?

Less volume of air directed out of the vent compared to what benchmark? The actual Type-R, another aftermarket hood copy of Type R? If so how does the other compare to the original Type R? With or without the radiator duct - which radiator duct? Etc. ...........

Vance, Can you please answer the questions? I am not very familiar with these hoods and that is why I posted the thread.

The depth of the duct.

The reason why the real Type R hood/replica cannot support the spare tire is the fact that is goes down much further. The purpose if for venting if you also do the type R front bumper and battery tray under cover. With the under covers system, without proper venting, you may/will run into over heading problems.

Let me know if you need visual.

I have the DF Type R underbody and DF battery undertray with the OEM hood, OEM radiator. But I do have an oil cooler in the rear passenger fender well for my CTSC.

On street driving there is no change in both the oil and water temps, so no overheating. However, I do have an issue with the design of the battery undertray since I don't think it was designed with a 97+ battery tray in mind; it doesn't allow for any drainage as the OEM tray covers most of the punched holes! As posted elsewhere, I suspect the real Type R has the pre 97 tray without the tire pan otherwise those punctured holes in the battery undertray make no sense to me. Sam@DF is checking on this for me. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111415

We are talking about vented hoods. The issue in these comments should not be how deep the hood cut must be to be "functional" but how effectively it gets the air flow out. One can easily design an air duct that would achieve the same air volume out of the hood with a less deep cut in the hood (perhaps such as the VIS and DaliRacing's air duct scoop) than the Type R or copies of it. The Type R eliminated the spare because of weight considerations and hence having a deeper cut hood would make sense for the scoop they designed, and perhaps it offered more downforce, or rigidity to the hood, or esthetically was deemed more pleasing. Who knows, we are all guessing re the depth angle of the cut.

The track is a different scenario and most who are buying the higher end hoods don't track their cars regularly - if any. At the track, my experience with ambient temps no higher than low 90s, using the OEM hood as noted above, I didn't see much difference except perhaps 10F more but that can be due to many other factors as well - perhaps running longer at higher RPMs, perhaps there was less breeze, perhaps ........ My water temps got to 215F and oil up to 265F and I was hauling for several laps at the limits - then I eased off just to cool things down. I have come close to those temps before without the undertrays.

Having said this, yes definitely a vented hood will help; common sense physics would say that air must go someplace. But to say the other hoods are "nonfunctional" instead of putting a qualifier stating "perhaps less effective" (efficiency has to do with cost/benefit) is quite a subjective stretch. We still don't have any data analysis supporting either comparative air volume displacement out of the hood or actual back to back readings re temps from the track to say they are "nonfuctional." YMMV.

Now, do the DF or ProCar hoods "look" better that the cheaper aftermarket ones when looking under the hood, or have better fit and finish when price is not an issue? Well dahhhhhh, we don't need to debate that one .........

Hrant, the deletion of the spare may have been a "convenience" thing to have. Honda could have made the duct higher, instead, they took the spare off and add a channeling bucket connect directly to the hood.

NSX WILL over heat if you track it hard in a hot day without the proper air duct with bottom cover.

I have the DF Type R underbody and DF battery undertray with the OEM hood, OEM radiator. But I do have an oil cooler in the rear passenger fender well for my CTSC.

On street driving there is no change in both the oil and water temps, so no overheating. However, I do have an issue with the design of the battery undertray since I don't think it was designed with a 97+ battery tray in mind; it doesn't allow for any drainage as the OEM tray covers most of the punched holes! As posted elsewhere, I suspect the real Type R has the pre 97 tray without the tire pan otherwise those punctured holes in the battery undertray make no sense to me. Sam@DF is checking on this for me. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111415

We are talking about vented hoods. The issue in these comments should not be how deep the hood cut must be to be "functional" but how effectively it gets the air flow out. One can easily design an air duct that would achieve the same air volume out of the hood with a less deep cut in the hood (perhaps such as the VIS and DaliRacing's air duct scoop) than the Type R or copies of it. The Type R eliminated the spare because of weight considerations and hence having a deeper cut hood would make sense for the scoop they designed, and perhaps it offered more downforce, or rigidity to the hood, or esthetically was deemed more pleasing. Who knows, we are all guessing re the depth angle of the cut.

The track is a different scenario and most who are buying the higher end hoods don't track their cars regularly - if any. At the track, my experience with ambient temps no higher than low 90s, using the OEM hood as noted above, I didn't see much difference except perhaps 10F more but that can be due to many other factors as well - perhaps running longer at higher RPMs, perhaps there was less breeze, perhaps ........ My water temps got to 215F and oil up to 265F and I was hauling for several laps at the limits - then I eased off just to cool things down. I have come close to those temps before without the undertrays.

Having said this, yes definitely a vented hood will help; common sense physics would say that air must go someplace. But to say the other hoods are "nonfunctional" instead of putting a qualifier stating "perhaps less effective" (efficiency has to do with cost/benefit) is quite a subjective stretch. We still don't have any data analysis supporting either comparative air volume displacement out of the hood or actual back to back readings re temps from the track to say they are "nonfuctional." YMMV.

Now, do the DF or ProCar hoods "look" better that the cheaper aftermarket ones when looking under the hood, or have better fit and finish when price is not an issue? Well dahhhhhh, we don't need to debate that one .........

I have a similar setup as Hrant.
The difference being I have the VIS vented hood and the driving ambitions dual pass radiator.:smile:

On the track the coolant temp is around 185 and Oil is 220. :rolleyes:
This is with ambient temp's in the mid 90's

I have a similar setup as Hrant.
The difference being I have the VIS vented hood and the driving ambitions dual pass radiator.:smile:

On the track the coolant temp is around 185 and Oil is 220. :rolleyes:
This is with ambient temp's in the mid 90's

True, but as we have been saying .......... either your gauges are faulty or you are not driving hard enough to keep up ......... :tongue:

Back