• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Racing Gloves recommendations

Hi I need a pair of racing gloves for my next track day, wondering which one will be good for me? (Cost-effective wise)

I'm a little concern that if the cheaper gloves will scratched my beloved momo steering wheel? Am I thinking to much?:eek:

I never drive anything with gloves, so I'm a little worry of the feeling of it, and being the track day on Thursday, I basically had no time to adjust it... anyone had any good idea of what kind of gloves I needed? the local racing shop had the ALINESTARS & Sparco...

Please help.

OK. Don't laugh. If you want real, honest-to-god, full coverage, fire-retardant, safety certified racing gloves, I can't help.

However, if you aren't concerned with those issues, I use Footjoy StaSof golf gloves. For grip, feel, and comfort, they make SUPERB "driving" gloves. In terms of pure functionality, you'd love them. For official sanctioned racing use, they would no doubt be frowned upon. I wear at least my left one at all times, considering it an outright safety issue due to the huge grip advantage for a given amount of effort. I'm sure it's saved my hide more than once. I don't hit the twisties without them.

Like I said: Don't laugh. If you try them, you'll be hooked. But again, definitely not fire retardant "racing" gloves.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

I've used simpson and now the "no fear brand" and both work fine and don't scratch anything.For hpde though pretty much any natural material glove would work.

Hello,

I have tried various ones, and I like Sparco Super Kart gloves the best. They are excellent gloves, and do not cost much since they are not fire proof.

The fit and finish are amazing.http://store.redtipracing.com/spsukagl.html

I'm using Bell's gloves as they're nomex lined, so I can use them for more than just some events. They feel great, fit very well and stick to the wheel like glue. The palms are suede and will not scratch your wheel. They retail for @$100. And they're red!

I use the sparco with the seams on the outside and love them. I prefer swede over smooth leather. Especially on a swede steering wheel! There not cheap, but are very comfortable and meet all standards.

Need grip or protection?

When I was doing driving events and not wearing full nomex, I preferred football receiver gloves over the nomex racing gloves. My first thought when I got racing gloves is that these are about protection, not grip on a normal round steering wheel that allows your hands to slide/slip on the wheel. After I used them in a race car with a formed grip racing steering wheel, I realized "grip" is not the same concern as a street car.

And while we're drawing that distinction, cheap wrestling shoes (Thanks Hrant) feel and work as good as the expensive racing shoes. But of course, they don't look as cool and that may be a factor if you're :cool: (like some who shall remain nameless)

Last edited:
Can't believe I'm the only golfer on the forum to try the FootJoys. Whoda thunk? Just can't beat the feel, dexterity, comfort, and grip. I promise, you don't even have to wear knickers or funny-looking plaid pants or anything:) After all, if you're wearing cotton jeans / T-shirt, the fire protection of your gloves is a moot point. Of course, they don't have the cool racer labels.

docjohn, thanks for your recommedation

I had purchased the NOFEAR gloves, they are nice, the nomex actually keep my hands cool, and the shifting is more effortless... only that because I still trying to get used to it, I mis-shifted couple times... :eek: oh well..

Back