• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Radio Head Unit DOA

My 1991 standard Bose stereo system appears to have died during winter storage. No lights, no sound or static noise. All fuses are good. Power is reaching fuse 38 which means the system is active. 10 am radio fuse is not blown. When the exterior lights are on, the lights in the tuning buttons illuminate. Yet, no display and no sound. Power antenna does not activate, either.

Is my head unit dead? Any suggestions??? Did I miss a fusible link in the wiring or some other fuse??

If head unit is dead - is my best bet to have it rebuilt or to look for substitute units?

Thanks in advance for the advice -

you have to think that Alpine didnt build these radios to last 20 years. lucky you that its lasted this long.

its probably dead

the dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for a new one. i think 2500

if you buy one off e-bay 70% chance it was removed because it was failing. and they are tring to sell it.

I have got 2 radios off e-bay AS-IS kinda thing and both lasted about a month 400 bucks each time wasted.

now BrianK I heard can fix them. but I am not sure.

goodluck

I read that removing the 7.5 amp clock fuse would clear the radio memory and reset it. I did this both alone and in conjunction with removing the radio 10 amp fuse. The radio remains dead. Any suggestions??

if you radio doesnt turn on how would clearing the memory allow it to turn on.

the only thing removing the fuse would do would be to erase the preset stations on the radio.

now if you have checked every fuse actually removing the fuse and looking at it, and they are all good. then the radio is dead.

if you have another honda vehicle ( civic, prelude, accord, crx, legend, Integra) from 1989 -1997 you can plug it into that cars harness and see if it turns on. if not then again its dead.

the only honda vehicle that retained that same radio harness after 1997 was the NSX.

Best option is to contact BrianK and see if he can fix it for you.
http://nsxe-repair.com/index.html

goodluck

+1 Send it to BrianK.
He can also fix the Climate Control and speaker units too.

I agree that Briank is a great possible source, but don't know if he'll work on the head unit. If so, I'd trust him to do a good job.

I didn't think Briank handled the head unit. so I had my head unit analyzed and repaired last fall at Willman's Electronics in Garland, TX. (617-414-8016; willmanselectronics.com) It took quite a while to get done, but it was fixed for a reasonable cost. It might be worth a look.

Good luck.

Back