• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Range Rover HSE or Porsche Cayenne

I am thinking about buying a used SUV, probably a 2005 or 2006. I am looking at the Range Rover HSE or a Porsche Cayenne S. Has anyone owned either or both vehicles that can give me some imput on reliability, off roading ability and performance? I will probably buy something in the next few weeks so any input would be greatly appreciated. I also want to tow a trailer with my NSX on it for racing so that has to be considered also.

Rob

I've had an 06 RR HSE for about 3 months now. I actually really like it. As far as reliability, I've had to take it in once for the PDC (Park Distance Control) malfunctioning and the steering wheel motor acting up (wasn't self positioning when I entered the car). Other than that, it's been a great car. Plus, free maintenance until 50k miles is nice. I've put on 22" Stormers and they fit the big HSE really well, and the drive is just as comfortable.

I like the Porsche, but for some reason it almost looks like a minivan to me. As far as interior goes, the RR def. outdoes the Cayenne.

If you end up getting an RR, be sure to get an '06 as they updated quite a few things in the car that year.

A range rover looses more value then any car I have ever seen.

If bought new, then Y E S! Brand new our RR was somewhere ~80k, we picked it up with 17k miles or so for about 60k. If you pick one up after its already taken the inital hit in depreciation, it shouldn't be too bad later on.

It's your call on which to choose. If I had to choose for myself I would go with the RR, only because you cant throw a rock without hitting a Cayenne in Southern California. Nothing against the Caye, just I'd rather have something you don't see everyday, hence my ownership of an NSX.

Last edited:
My friend has a Range Rover and he wish he had gotten a Cayenne S. He thought it was much quicker after test driving one at a dealership. However, the Cayenne does not have a tow hitch as a dealer installed option. It needs to be factory ordered. Most of them are ordered without the hitch. I'm not sure if it is still true for the 2008 models.

I personally I have a Cayenne Turbo S (with some extra Gemballa add-ons), and I couldn't be more happy with it as a daily driver. I can't tow anything with it though since it doesn't have a hitch.

Regards,
Ryan

I am looking at all of those as well. The ranger rover has the nicest interior of them all. But basically comes down to how you want the car to handle. With all the off road capabilites the RR is heavy and will handle/accelerate like it. While the Porsche will of course give you a sportier ride. I am leaning towards a X5 as that has the same engine as the RR but is basically give up some off roading for better on road handling.

A friend of mine that owns a dealership had a 2005 RR in mint condition, but it has high mileage. It has 82k on it, but has a warranty up to 100k. I can get it for $33.5 I am going tomorrow night to test drive it, I will let you know how it is.

Are you seriously going to take either of these off road?! You should take a 1992 Jeep off road, do you really want to damage either car? if it's some light duty gravel road stuff then really... a RAV4 is probably good enough. So that leaves you with on-road which is what it might see most of the time, and there the Porsche is a better vehicle. It depeciates less, its better built, and if you put serious tires and wheels on it, it will crawl through mud and the boonies as well as anything.

I personally like the looks of the RR better. To me it's the best looking SUV out there, whereas the Cayenne is just OK at best. But when you are behind the wheel everyday, I think you will appreciate the Cayenne's dynamics better. By the way I have spent a lot of time in both cars.

I have the Cayenne S. I absolutely love it. Before buying the Cayenne, I test drove the new X5 (I used to have the 4.4 - 4 years back), Range Rover, Mercedes ML500, and Acura MDX. I already owned the Touareg V8, which was in the shop every other week. The BMW was by far the best interior, comfort wise. The Range Rover was very bumpy. It felt like a truck to me, but nice interior, not as fast as I was anticipating. The Mercedes was alright, but again rode like a truck. MDX was quite nice, but slow as a dog. The Cayenne had a quick pick up, handled like a Porsche (obviously), and the interior functions were perfectly placed for the most convenience. I think the Cayenne can be quite bumpy on back roads, but highway driving is very smooth and comfortable. I have owned the Cayenne S, new since 2006. I have only had it in the shop for oil changes and scheduled maintenance. I did wear the original tires out pretty quickly and had to replace those after 11,000 miles.

I believe the RR has the BMW 4.4 engine in it. My friend also has a Cayenne S at his dealership also and I will test drive that as well. Does anyone know if the Cayenne has the problem with the rear main seal that my 911 had? That is the main reason I am leaning toward the RR as I got a bad taste in my mouth from having to replace my engine due to the rear main seal leaking twice without any assistance from Porsche even though it was a design flaw.

Rob

I absolutely hate SUV's.

That was until i saw the HSE Sport ...omg, that thing is beautifull.

So you want on road handling, off road capabilities, and overall comfort and convenience correct???

I have 3 words for you.

RANGE ROVER SPORT!

Supercharged and handle very well I have had a couple come threw my dealers over the past year and they are great suv's.

Seriously if you haven't driven one DO IT before you buy the cayenne or a HSE

He's right, the Sport S/C is a great car, I took one home for a few days. However, don't expect to get the same smooth ride and interior quality as the reg. HSE. We found the Sport to be not as comfortable and kind of cramped. Also, after driving back to back the S/C and the HSE, you really can't tell much of a difference in performance.

i havent owned any of the two ... but have driven both for a good period of time
and i have to say I absolutely love the RR and if I ever need an SUV in the Future .. thats what I will be buying...
looks, performance, interior + over the Porsche

A while back (couple of months ago?) somebody on here posted a list of the most expensive vehicles to own, and I remember being disappointed that RR was very close to the top of that list (I don't own one yet!). Having said that, I would still take the RR over the Porsche. I have never cared for them, and quite frankly don't understand them (It would be like Ferrari or lamborghini making an SUV). Def go with the RR IMO... :wink:

I believe the RR has the BMW 4.4 engine in it.
Rob

No, that was for only one year. BMW then sold to Ford and that was that. I am fairly certain only one year RR was BMW powered.

and quite frankly don't understand them (It would be like Ferrari or lamborghini making an SUV). Def go with the RR IMO... :wink:

really.... how many RR owners take their 70K car off road? maybe the beach parking lot has some sand on it but come on.... I have asked 3 cayenne owners to show me hot to operate their diff locks... none knew what it even was. Same with RR owners. FWIW a cayenne can probably crawl through whatever any RR can with good tires. You can even get a cayenne with electronicaly disconnecting sway bars for more wheel travel (rock climbing) and rear and center locking diffs. It can be a serious off road car, but its on-road performance is better than almost any SUV out there including the I-can't-handle-a-dirt-road Infiniti FX's. I think Porsche did an AMAZING job with the Cayenne, its just that its not nearly as good looking as a Range Rover.

He's right, the Sport S/C is a great car, I took one home for a few days. However, don't expect to get the same smooth ride and interior quality as the reg. HSE. We found the Sport to be not as comfortable and kind of cramped. Also, after driving back to back the S/C and the HSE, you really can't tell much of a difference in performance.

Cant tell a performance difference????????

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2006-land-rover-range-rover-sport-5.htm

This shows 80 hp difference.... I can only imagine what bigger brakes lower tighter suspension etccc. does to the vehicle.

I personally saw a very large performance difference overall...:biggrin:

[/B][/I][/U]

Cant tell a performance difference????????

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2006-land-rover-range-rover-sport-5.htm

This shows 80 hp difference.... I can only imagine what bigger brakes lower tighter suspension etccc. does to the vehicle.

I personally saw a very large performance difference overall...:biggrin:

80 HP at the crank, losing 20% easy through the slushbox makes it 64 to the wheels, in a six thousand pound car (two NSX's)... I can see why he would say "not much difference".

I have never cared for them, and quite frankly don't understand them (It would be like Ferrari or lamborghini making an SUV). Def go with the RR IMO... :wink:

Lambo SUV you say?

The old LM 002 (aka "Rambo Lambo")

Lamborghini_LM002_offroad.jpg

OR

The new one??

11404_ZCUFZJIPAYQRB.jpg

Please tell me thats just some computer generated picture. It's hideous.

The LM carries a large fan base, but wouldn't people rather just have an H1?

Back