• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Real Life Turbo Reliabilty

I had a Lovefab Stage Two System installed this past winter and after a month or so of street use it was time to take it to the track and find out not just how fast it was but also how reliable it actually was!

The car-
is a 91, w/ a 2004 stock 3.2, stage two w/9.5 lbs. of boost, meth/water injection, AEM EMS, RPS Stage 1, around 480 WHP. Advans 8"&10" with 215/40/17 and 275/35/18's w/Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's. Stock suspension with stock geometry.

The track-
a three and one half hour test and tune session with twenty minutes of track time every twenty minutes at http://www.gingermanraceway.com/track-layout
a 1.9 mile long, 11 turn track in South Haven, Mi.

The day -
94 degrees temp, 90% humidity, no cloud cover, with asphalt temps over 100 degrees.

The results -
Drove the car 60 miles to the track with the air conditioning on.

I was new to the track so first session was more about determining lines and braking points. Second session began hot laps but still more about driver education than car performance. Sessions three through seven where hard hot laps trying to find both driver and car limits.

After approximately sixty laps, finally reaching sub 1:38 times, no overheating, no mechanical difficulties, and nothing but more performance and better handling than I expected. The stock brakes were pushed to the limit and by the last session brake fade was a problem. The temperatures caused some tire greasing and the combination certainly hurt some times.

The really unbelievable part - I turned on the air conditioning, some good tunes, and drove home!!!

My objective with this post was share with others my reluctance to turbo-ize my car for fear of losing reliability. Having purchased my 91 new the only fault I found was it was underpowered. Well believe me it is not underpowered now and reliability has not been compromised!

Thanks all for allowing me to share,

Charlie

WOW that's impressive!!! Did you say 480WHP with a Completely stock 3.2???

Excellent report! Must of felt like buying a whole new car again too. Too bad in CA we have to deal with smog certification otherwise my choice would also be TURBO.

So with the increase in hp, it sounds like you could benefit from a BBK upgrade and track suspension next:biggrin:

WOW that's impressive!!! Did you say 480WHP with a Completely stock 3.2???

Charles,

Bone stock engine with approximately 10 lbs. of boost. Suspension other than tires and rims also unaltered. I had enjoyed the street performance but was concerned with all that horsepower on the track as to how it would change the handling. I had tracked the car many times before the turbo and the handling was better than any other car I had owned and tracked (Ferrari, Porsche, and many Corvettes). But, as I mentioned before it just needed more kick than the 270hp. The handling w/the new horsepower was great. I have a youtube clip now if I only knew how to attach??

Excellent report! Must of felt like buying a whole new car again too. Too bad in CA we have to deal with smog certification otherwise my choice would also be TURBO.

So with the increase in hp, it sounds like you could benefit from a BBK upgrade and track suspension next:biggrin:

NSXAMG996TT

Right on w/the new car feeling. To bad about the CA smog issue - I have read that a decent tuner would take care of that problem.

As with so many others on Prime the slippery slope begins brakes, suspension, etc,etc. I will do the brakes but I cannot emphasize enough how well the stock suspension tracked. Besides the wife is already complaining about the ride w/the Advans and Direzzas!

Back