• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Really angry at Honda right now.

Honda builds most of their own transmissions...

nsxtasy said:
Honda produces its own transmissions, including one million per year at their plant in Russells Point, Ohio, where transmissions have been built since 1996 (more than nine million transmissions were previously built at the
Actually, I read an article in Car & Driver a while back about the upcoming Pontiac Solstice, which said the transmission was going to be sourced from Aisin, the same company that builds the S2000's 6-speed. I was rather surprised to read that, but I guess it makes sense in some ways, since Honda doesn't have any other "typical" RWD cars to use it in to help justify the cost.

http://convertibles.autoblog.com/entry/2241572047181236/

nsxtasy said:
The problems are only with the previous generation Odyssey. I'm quite confident that the 2005 Odyssey, including its transmission, will be absolutely bulletproof. So should the Sienna...

I'm really counting on this!
We just decided to get the 2005 Odyssey Touring (blk on blk) today
and should be here on Wed. We're getting pretty excited.
The big thing for me was the cylinder management system.
We are not mini van people but with a 7, 5 and 2 month old kiddie's,
it's the smart thing to do. We looked at the Sienna, Pilot and MDX
and Odyssey was the smartest choice for us.
If we're getting a mini van, might as well go all out on the Odyssey.
AWD is not an issue, we live in So Cal but we do go to the mountains
for skiing but cables (or cables) on tires on heavy snow will suffice.

Perry

A friend of mine had the same transmission problem on his Accord V6. He was driving along one day and the transmission locked up on him, nearly causing him to lose control. He had it towed to the dealership and they tried to tell him they couldn't find anything wrong with it (!).

Needless to say he was furious, but eventually he was able to contact Honda and they instructed the dealership to replace the tranny. He absolutely loved his Accord before this whole ordeal, but he sold it shortly thereafter for an IS300. I can't blame him really.

It's sad that Honda can't seem to fix this problem, it eems very un-Honda like to let a major issue like this go unresolved for so long. I was hoping to buy a TL auto in a few years, but I'm really thinking twice about it now.

beeker16 said:
I don't know where to start, so I guess I'll just get to it.

My Accord transmission will die.
It started with excessive revving, and then slipping, and now jerking.
This certainly doesn't make me feel any better, but at least confirms my suspicions as true:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9664

I have come to a general consensus that Honda sucks at making automatic transmissions. (Or transmissions in general if you count the snap ring issue)
What's worse is they can't handle any additional power,

(I read when the CTSC came out for the V6 Accord it came with a pulley designed for approx 6.5-7 PSI. Turns out 40 extra horses at the wheel are just too much for a Honda automatic transmission to handle, so Comptech pulled the part in favor of a more restrictive unit.)

I don't like the idea of having a rebuilt tranny put in, knowing it could possibly fail again. I honestly think selling my car before it gets any worse is the best option, with a new rebuilt tranny if possible just to be nice.

I just don't want to deal with the hassle of 1) searching for a new car I like and and can afford right now, set up financing, set up new insurance or 2)Deal with the even bigger hassle of finding a good used car I like, and new insurance.

I drive A LOT so I like having a good mileage car like the Honda, and Love that it's a 2+2 coupe. I can't think of anything right off the top of my head that is a 2+2 automatic that falls in that category and is a sub 25K car. :confused:
I don't think I could deal with a standard for daily (bumper to bumper, rush hour) traffic.

Needless to say I'll be calling Honda Monday morning, and plugging in new insurance rate estimates online to see what might work for a new beater and get a head start. :mad:

hlweyl said:
Now the 4 speed autos have not had a recall but Honda did extend the standard 3 yr/36,000 mi warranty to 100,000 miles due to the high failure rate of the 4 speeds.

I inquired at Acura last time I had the NSX in for service about trading the 92 Legend in for a new TL. I asked them about all the transmission problems I had heard about and if they had been fixed as of yet. He stated almost word for word what was said above. Basically that they will all be covered under warranty "should" anything happen, although he assured me that the problem had been updated and fixed.

I have read on other forums where you would be merging on the freeway at 50 - 60 mph, and the transmission would just lock up. That scares the bejesus out of me just to think about. I could care less if they warranty the damn transmission for a million miles, I am sure I will not purchase one until the word is that these new trannys are bulletproof.

On one of the Legend forums I visit, there is an Acura tech who spends most all his work week doing warranty work on the newer Acura and Honda transmissions. Not good! :mad:

I read this thread with alot of interest. I have recently learned that my old NSX ('92 auto) has blown its tranny. I am geniuinely sad and feel badly for its new owner. I hope he keeps the car and converts it to a manual. I spoke with a local Honda tech and he too thinks that many (not all) Honda automatics are not durable. I would shy away from any power-increasing mods (even intake, headers, etc.) on any Honda equipped with an automatic! Regarding your present dilemma, I'd highly recommend the Accord 6-speed, learn to embrace the joys of frequent shifting around town.
Best of luck to you!

I can't speak about the new generation transmissions, but using Honda ATF and changing it every 15,000 miles was a big help in extending the longevity of the older ones. It certainly couldn't hurt with new generation transmissions either, but I have no idea whether it would make any difference with the problems they are having with the units

had my 98 prelude with sport-shift tranny go out on me at 23k miles, dealer said they wont warranty it because of "abuse" I Kicked, bitched and moaned for about a month until i met a service manager from another honda dealer who said he would pass it under warranty for me. Price tag was over $5k, but i was lucky to get it done for free.

Back