• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Rear Ended

Yellow Rose

Suspended
Initial inspection appears to be that the bumper will need to be repainted. I'll look at it tomorrow in the daylight, but I expect to see the scratches too deep for simply a repaint. If his insurance adjuster offers only to repaint, how do I insist on a new bumper? IOW, is there a "procedure" that Acura deems prudent to replace vs repaint? Are there any "buzz words" I can use to enhance the prospect that the insurance adjuster will authorize a new bumper?

What happened was something we see all the time. Light turned yellow so I stopped. Afterwards I asked him why he was in such a hurry. Se said he thought I was gonna run the light so he was gonna try it to. As we ended the exchange of information I asked him if trying to beat the light was worth it. The pathetic look on his face said it all.

If his insurance adjuster offers only to repaint, how do I insist on a new bumper? IOW, is there a "procedure" that Acura deems prudent to replace vs repaint? Are there any "buzz words" I can use to enhance the prospect that the insurance adjuster will authorize a new bumper?

My recommendation is to take it to the best body shop in town (which is where you probably want to get it fixed - I would) and seek their advice. The body shops seem to know how to deal with insurance companies. The good ones are good in large measure because they know the difference between doing the job and doing it the right way, and they can tell you how to go about getting it paid for (to the maximum extent possible, if not in full).

I'm not a body shop but I would think that the appropriate repair depends on the condition of the bumper, not the paint. If the bumper isn't creased or ripped, it can be repainted, and it will be every bit as good as a new bumper (which would have to be repainted anyway). I don't think the depth of scratches would make a difference - but again, talk with the experts.

Sorry to hear about it. I'm sure your car wishes he were Saint Elsewhere.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Per NSXTASY, I would check with the best & reputable body shop for the work that would be required to get your NSX in "like new condition". Check with a reputable Acura dealership as well. The way we all baby our NSXs, I'm assuming that your rear bumper was in prestine, like-new condition before you were rear-ended. Also, body shops deal with insurance adjusters all time, so check with them for advice as well as "buzz words" to use.

As a last resort, if the adjusters are being difficult, tell them that you were rear ended with no fault of your own and that you will get a lawyer to ensure that you will be represented fairly.

I like Ed's buzz words
smile.gif
Actually, this topic
reminds me of an insurance question I've been wanting to post: Most of us take such good care of our cars, and add personal enhancements that make the intrinsic value of the car worth way more than book value, or actual value, to us, and value well beyond the age of the cars.How can we insure this intrinsic value, and is that something that can be cost-effective, especially in this time when pre-owned NSX prices are falling? I guess I'm asking if there is a way to actually insure our investment in the car, not just the value the insurance industry would place on it? Andy, sorry for your dilemma.

Generally, yes.

If modifications have been made, and you can provide receipts indicating their value, the insurance company will usually adjust a settlement value upward to reflect their value (although probably not on a dollar-for-dollar basis, and possibly not for the installation labor). As a general rule, no extra coverage is needed, but it's best to check with your insurance agent/company to verify.

Insurance companies can, and do, take into account the condition of the car in calculating a settlement in the unfortunate event that it is totalled. However, they will still only pay the amount that an excellent-condition car is worth, with adjustments for installed mods; they won't adjust for sentimental value or an owner's opinion that his car is worth more than a similar condition car is worth on the market.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 06 February 2002).]

Andy - Sorry to hear about your car!! That stinks. Unfortunately I don't have any advice that would be ethical or possibly even legal, though "sore neck" was a pretty funny response!

To answer NSXLNT's question - You can insure anything for any amount you want, really, it's just a matter of what you are willing to pay for. You have to go to companies that specialize in such things in many cases, but it can almost always be done. Businesses insure weird things all the time, from a musician's hands to insurance against too many people winning an open-ended contest.

Fairly common among classic, rare or exotic cars is something called Agreed Value insurance. You can get this from most of the same major companies that write your standard home/life/auto policies.

Basically you come up with a dollar figure you want for the car if it is declared a loss for some reason and the insurance company will calculate a premium. You can insure your NSX for whatever you want using this type of policy.

However, agreed value insurance will almost certainly cost more than you are paying for normal insurance. Also, it only pays you that amount if the car is considered a total loss (heavily damaged, stolen, etc.)

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 06 February 2002).]

When you insure aircraft it works very similiar to agreed value insurance. Basically you tell the company what your plane is worth and they price the insurance at that value.

You need to come up with a realistic value though, because if you put too high of a value on the plane they will always repair it because it is cheaper to do so then pay off the high buyout.

The same works with cars if you say your NSX is worth 50,000 and in reality can be replaced for 40,000 if you have 40,000 dollars worth of damage they will repair the car. Good Luck trying to sell that car in the future!

The agreed-value policy is a good answer to my question. Anyone here have that type of insurance? My neighbor is my insurance guy, so I'll ask him about it.

I've insured my cars at a specific value.

I would be scared to have it any other way.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I know some people who have been very satisfied with the settlements they have received from insurance on totalled NSX's.

I also know some people who have not been very satisfied with the settlements they have received from insurance on some other cars; I don't know if that's because they were with a different insurance company, or if the NSX settlements tend to be higher than for other cars.

A friend of mine recently totalled his Y2K SC'd NSX and was paid every cent of his "agreed value" by his insurance company with, from what I understand, hardly a question being asked. I'm currently considering changing my insurance to the same "agreed value" type.
Check out Grundy.com (I am not affiliated in any way with them and have no financial stake) and check out their agreed value worksheet.

[This message has been edited by ChopsJazz (edited 06 February 2002).]

Sorry to hear about your rear-ending, Andy. :-(

On a lighter note: welcome to the Club. :-) I've been rear-ended in my NSX 4 times! And EVERY time it has happened, I have beet sitting at a light...and the person behind me jumps the light because "your car is so small I didn't see it..."...right, you saw it well enough to stay put behind my *ss for 30 seconds, but I magically disappeared from you vision when the light turned green...likely story!

Andie

Back