• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recaro Pole Positions & SOS Sliding Seat Rails

Hi Guys!

I have a problem with fitting some Recaro Pole Position seats onto SOS sliding seat rails and I hope someone can help me please?

I'm 6'3" and need the seats mounted as low as possible.

I can only fit the seats on the highest side hole settings?

Any lower and the bottom of the seat touches the rail.

I know these rails will fit a range of seats including the narrower SPG's. But is this as far as I can go? I'm very disappointed :frown:

Any suggestions?

Mark

Hey Mark.
I'm also 6'3" and have the same set up. I'll check which setting my seats are on, but I believe mine couldn't go on the lowest setting either. But it did lower enough compared to the OEM seats to allow me to wear a helmet.
I'll get back to you on my set up. Have you spoken with Chris at SOS?

Brad

Hi Brad,

Thanks for checking your setup. I really appreciate it.

My setup is currently higher than OEM...maybe almost 1"?

I have e-mailed Chris at SOS several times but he has not replyed? this surprises me because I usually get great service.

Mark

I am very interested how your seat mounting turns out. Please keep us posted. I am thinking of getting a similar setup myself.

You can try to mount it one notch lower but the rails will definitely scratch your seat bottom.

I also have the recaro mount and I can tell you the sos rails are a little bit lower, but not by much.

Good luck!

Henry.

OK I haven't spoken to Chris yet (8 hours difference) but I will.

Thanks Henry. You're correct...the seat hits the inner side of the rails and when I originally tried the next notch lower, it did scratch the seat bottom alittle. It looked too tight and I went for the top hole.

My seats are currently away getting recovered in leather and I should get them back in the next couple of days. If I could get them on the second notch...maybe I'll be happy?

This height business is bugg'n me abit! I've also considered the Recaro side mounts and it's interesting that the SOS rails are abit lower! although the Recaro mounts would be fixed and without the sliding rails so I presume the seat would definitely mount lower to the floor.

Maybe I'll modify the SOS rails or buy some Recaro side mounts?

I'll keep you guys up-to-date and post some pictures.

Mark

Just spoke to Chris & he assures me I should be able to mount the seats on the second hole down from the top at the rear and the top hole at the front. But that's as far as you can go with the wide Pole Positions because of the rails. He also tells me they should sit approx 3/4" lower than OEM.

Let's hope so. I'm going to install my seats this weekend.

Henry...I didn't know Recaro did an NSX slider?

Where did you get these from...Hong Kong?

Mark

Fwiw, I bought a sparco adjustable side mount. It might add more adjustability but I haven't installed it yet.

Henry.

Attachments

• 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 528
Armando,

Do you mean the rails from the Yahoo Japan? Yes, they are. Mine look exactly the same as the picture. Trust me! ;)

Rgds,

Henry.

nsxhk said:
Armando,

Do you mean the rails from the Yahoo Japan? Yes, they are. Mine look exactly the same as the picture. Trust me! ;)

Rgds,

Henry.

Unless you are drilling out new holes for the front bolt, on the NSX rails the front bolt hole is angled down.

Armando

Well I finally re-installed the seats and I'm very happy. I'll just confirm a few things for you guys.

1) The lowest setting at the back of the rail is the second slot from the top. The seat cannot physically go any lower because it hits the rail and frame.

2) You can choose slots at the front of the rail. I took the top slot to recline the seats back alittle. The second front slot gives you a straight upright position.

3) I measured the seat height and Chris at SOS is correct. They are about 3/4" lower than OEM.

I just had to be patient and re-align the rails with the seat.

As other people have discussed before, the Pole Positions are a good road seat being wide and comfortable. Recaro SPG's are a superb track seat. The narrower profile would give you more options using the SOS rails.

Yeba! Yeba!!

Speedy Gonzales said:
Here's some photos! :biggrin:
Nice work. You answered a lot of questions that I have in regard to racing seat installation. THANKS.
Are the red stitches a custom order or standard? How do you install the seat belt and the buckle? Do they go on the seats or the SOS rails? How does it feel sitting in it, do you have much improved head clearance, and does 3/4" clearance make much difference?

Again, beautiful seats.

Thanks for the compliments :cool: ...OK you've asked a few good questions...

The red stitching is not a Recaro custom order or standard. I have had these seats recovered by the main UK Recaro reseller who also have a retrim shop. They are factory approved and can replace logos to company spec.

I originally bought these in black ambla leather (vinyl) on the bolsters and red dinamica suede (alcantara look-a-like) centre panels with black shell. You can choose between black, red, blue, beige or silver centre panels and black, gun metallic or silver metallic painted back shells. There is a plain white logo on the headrest. These look very similar to Type-S seats and I've attached a photo. Once the seats were originally mounted in my car, I decided against the red! :confused: ...in my opinion it was too much for a red car.

The seat belt and buckle mount directly to the top of the seat rails. When you slide the rails the belt mounts also move with the seat. There are only four mounting points on the seat shell. Two bolts either side.

One thing to mention...I purchased Recaro Pole Positions with ABE which I believe might only be available in Europe?

http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=730&L=2

You can download the PDF Prospekt Motorsport (1,37MB) brochure to view all options although it is in german:

http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=738&L=2

In Europe this is the only 'shell seat' on the market from any manufacturer with TuV certification for road use as the lower side-bolster belt apperture has been specially designed to allow a standard 3 point seat belt be inserted into the seat, improving both comfort and safety.

As far as I am aware, the Recaro Pole Position (FIA) seat is identical in dimensions except for the hole size and position. This model would suit a racing harness better.

In the SOS installation reference guide, it states "depending on the seat used, it may be necessary to slightly bend the seat belt retainer to match the curvature of the seat base". I had to mount the L shape clicker bracket differently to suit the ABE seat. I presume that it would mount as per the installation instructions with the FIA (USA) seat.

How does it feel?? it feels goood!!!! excellent lateral support especially at the shoulders. They're very comfortable on long trips. I mainly use my car on the road, although I do some track days. Personally I don't think that there is anything wrong with the original seats. They are very comfortable if lacking alittle support. But they are also as heavy as hell with the electric motors. These new ones would blow away in the wind if you weren't careful!! :tongue:

I've never had a real issue with headroom before. 3/4"...what's that 19mm? it's not alot and I won't tell you that it feels black and white against the original seats. The highest setting however felt very high. You definitely feel more in the car now. As long as I wasn't higher than OEM then I'm happy.

Hope I haven't bored you guys to death with all this seat talk! :wink:

Back