• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Redline Oil getting super black

I just changed my oil myself (second time)
Its been about 4,800 miles and 2 track events on the last 800 miles. When I dumped the oil, I noticed how black the oil was... I don't think my oil was so dark before...
The car has 59,700 miles on the Odometer now and I plan to take it in for the 60,000 anytime now. Just wondering how dark your oil is when you change it...

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
Its been about 4,800 miles and 2 track events on the last 800 miles. When I dumped the oil, I noticed how black the oil was... I don't think my oil was so dark before...
The car has 59,700 miles on the Odometer now and I plan to take it in for the 60,000 anytime now. Just wondering how dark your oil is when you change it...

Probably normal but you could always send a sample for analysis to give yourself some peace of mind!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

I use Redline too and my problem is that's it's so clear I often have trouble seeing the oil on the dipstick.

What kind of air filter are you guys using?

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
Its been about 4,800 miles and 2 track events on the last 800 miles. When I dumped the oil, I noticed how black the oil was...

Sure, after being abused on the track for 800 miles and having being used for 4,800 miles I'd expect the same. All thst counts is that your engine is running fine and the that the oil did it's job.

I change my oil before EVERY track event.
3000 miles is the street driving change point. Track abuse is so much worse, I would recommend changing either immediately before or after the event. Mine always comes out golden color.

This from Mobil 1's website, may help explain your dark- colored oil:

"It used to be that a simple visual check of the dipstick would tell you if your oil was breaking down from severe duty. That doesn't work with modern oils, McMillan says, because they're designed to carry a high load of contaminant. The oils turn black very quickly, but they're still doing the job."

Back