• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Regulator popping = missing guide bolts?

Okay, so I'm the third owner of my car. My driver's side window has always had the popping noise associated with a sticking regulator track, etc. Based on the wiki, you can grease it and it might get a little better - might as well try.

I took apart the door panel to fix the popping or at least diagnose it.
While I was playing with the window, up down up down, I realized when it popped the actual aluminum guide for the regulator (the one closest to the front of the car) would jump in the door... hhmm..

Took off the speaker and sure enough the two lower 6mm bolts that hold that guide in weren't there. One of them was stuck in the plastic, the other wasn't anywhere to be seen.

I bolted it back up - no more popping noise, greased it up, everything good.
Makes me wonder what happened when the previous owner put this back together. I found out that I do have the updated factory regulators, which is nice piece of mind.

Anyone else had these bolts loosen up on their own or had the regulator popping noise traced back to something other than just a lubrication problem?

Put the whole door back together, used it 4 times and then the interior handle broke! Bad luck, same common failure. Had to order the SOS interior door handle replacement pieces.
So... now my window works great but I have to pull on the cable to let myself out, ha! :rolleyes:

I have a popping noise,as it nears the top (window almost closed), I noticed it after cleaning the tracks and the regulator guide. I did not check for loose bolts. Sound like I should take the door panel off and have another look.

Mine happened when the window opens about an inch, it didn't happen when closing it. But yes if you worked on it and then the popping noise started it would be a good thing to check all 4 bolts, 2 upper 2 lower

Also, if you close the door with the window slightly open and the window itself shakes quite a bit, that is a sign too.

Hey Tangoman- thanks for posting this. I have a similar issue. I replaced my regulator last night because my old one had the rubber or teflon guides totally worn away and the guide would hop all over the track en route down (but oddly, never going up). It was like something was impeding the window from going down smooth. So, assuming it was the regulator, I bought a pair (used) and threw them in after greasing them up a bit more, etc. Now, I have the same albeit less noticeable issue. Am starting to wonder if my window guides have something inside them or obstructing them when that would cause this on the way down only. Weird, but true.

Thoughts?

Hhmm... I'm not sure. Could that be motor related too? If you have all the fasteners in then you scratch the issue I had off the list. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Back