• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Remove Wheel locks

Is it Oem locks? Try Acura dealership. Happened to me on my old Honda. I brought it to Honda dealer and they removed it for me. They should have a set of all master keys for the locks they make. Make sure to bring 4 extra regular lug nuts for them to put on after they remove it otherwise they would charge you.

Snap on and I'm sure other pro tool companies offer a tool that is tapered so you can hammer/jam them on to the smooth outer surface of the wheel lock and wrench them off.
An impact socket hammered over the lock will also work provided you have the space in the wheel nut opening.

Lost the key:mad: Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Is it Oem locks? Try Acura dealership. Happened to me on my old Honda. I brought it to Honda dealer and they removed it for me. They should have a set of all master keys for the locks they make. Make sure to bring 4 extra regular lug nuts for them to put on after they remove it otherwise they would charge you.

+1. Long time ago I bought a used 2005 RL and I didn't realise that it has locks untill I got a flat tire. I took it to the dealership, they matched the key, removed the lock and gave me a part number along with a phone number for a company that makes them so I was able to order the lock sucket for just a little over $20 with shipping.

Snap on and I'm sure other pro tool companies offer a tool that is tapered so you can hammer/jam them on to the smooth outer surface of the wheel lock and wrench them off.
An impact socket hammered over the lock will also work provided you have the space in the wheel nut opening.

I just used a 16 point 19MM socket and accomplished the same thing. However, check to see if Acura has the key laying around first. The locks are made my McGard, so if Acura is like Lexus they keep a whole bunch of keys and one might fit.

Yes, the dealer has a set of masters. I beleive there is only 8 patterns for the OEM locks. I had to use the dealer to get mine off until McGuard could send me a new key. If you have the paper work for the locks, there is a registration card. You will need the serial number and the Julian Calendar date code: http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/customer-service/replacement-parts-ordering-information
Last resort:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A

Back