• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Removed engine cover, question

Just removed my engine insolulated cover so I can see the engine through the glass. I have my windows nicely tinted - will the heat generated in the engine compartment that will now radiate to my rear window, hurt the tint??

Thanks for your replys.

I cant speak for the non targa cars. I will say I dont believe the cover you had now was completely sealed. I think the heat was present anyway. There are a lot of people who put the mesh covers on and do not complain of any window tint issues.

You milk bottle coolant reservoir will turn yellow and eventually crack. Happen to mine two times. I now have my engine cover back on.

You milk bottle coolant reservoir will turn yellow and eventually crack. Happen to mine two times. I now have my engine cover back on.

How can having the cover off accelerate the bottle from cracking??? I could see maybe if you left it in hot sun day in day out and didn't have a tint, but that's the only way I could see that happening. My car is rarely in the sun besides for driving it. Please explain!

How can having the cover off accelerate the bottle from cracking??? I could see maybe if you left it in hot sun day in day out and didn't have a tint, but that's the only way I could see that happening. My car is rarely in the sun besides for driving it. Please explain!

The coolant bottle will turn yellow as did mine and I replaced it as a preventative measure when I changed all my hoses. Yours is probably ready to be replaced anyway as it is probably 20yrs old. Now is probably a good time to upgrade to an aluminium version.

Had my car since 99....no problems here with the tint.

*Good* tint will not deteriorate with heat. It's designed to filter the sun for chriiissake. It will deteriorate with chemicals that can spew out from various sources in the engine bay.

*Good* tint will have built-in UV filtering which will dramatically slow down the coolant tank plastic degradation. Having no tint.. then you'll have issues.

The NSX-R has a see thru lightweight mesh screen in place of the engine cover you have. The NSX-R also uses a black sleeve to cover the coolant tank. Unless the Honda engineers are fools, there's a reason for their madness.

IMG_1586.jpg

The NSX-R has a see thru lightweight mesh screen in place of the engine cover you have. The NSX-R also uses a black sleeve to cover the coolant tank. Unless the Honda engineers are fools, there's a reason for their madness.

IMG_1586.jpg

Yea probably because the conditions they are working in and their level and need for no boo-boo's is high, they need to cover (pun intended) their bases more than someone like me I suppose. I see only a lot of hot direct sunlight as being the only reason to have the tank covered. That will not be the case with my car as it's in a garage 99% of the time, plus I have good tint when I do take it out on rides.

UV light degrades the plastic, amongst other things. I'd be worried more about hoses cracking/leaking over time.

Tint will help if it shield UV, but they you have to see to what extent.

No issues here, coolant tank still looks like new! I have 30%, very high quality tint on the rear window.

You guys can just try plasti-dipping the OEM coolant tank, or applying your own wrap/covering on it.

You can simply paint the coolant tank with a plastic dark paint. I did mine with a gray. My car almost never sits outside in the sun. IF yours does, you will likely eventually have hose issues. I doubt the tint helps much. As stated it's the UV rays, not the heat.

To protect my tank, I put black metallic paint over a coat of varnish, images here:smile:

To protect my tank, I put black metallic paint over a coat of varnish, images here:smile:

That looks good Thunder, as good as my rubber one. But DANG!!!:eek: That has to be the cleanest engine i have ever seen. Looks beautiful man.

Mike

Guys, i recently removed my engine cover and did a few other things at the same time. I was hearing a thumping noise and thought it had something to do with lowering or the new front sway bar. I noticed i can now push down on the glass when closed and it moves a little and thumps against the latch. Anyone notice this?

Mike

Back