• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

removing engine cover?

I've seen people removed their engine covers. They look much more "aggressive" by exposing the engine compartment ala Ferrari F40,50, 360...etc. Wondering if simply tinting the rear window would prevent UV from the sun endanger the strength of rubber hoses? I took mine off today, but was afraid of parking the car under the sun.

Like sunglasses, some tint blocks almost all UV light and is advertised as such. If you have that kind, you should be fine.

I have my engine cover removed for about 2 yrs now. And I drove about 7K miles for 2 yrs, with grueling hot sun on the race track with no problem. I inspected the rubbers regularly and see no problem whatsoever.

and JKurnawan, It's very easy to remove the engine cover. Just 4 bolts.

I removed my engine cover about two months ago. Prior to doing this, I installed the Dali Racing braided line kit for two reasons. First, they look awesome. Second, I was concerned about the Florida sun baking my oem hoses. I also did Dali's coolant bottle and fuse box cover. I love the look. Hell, you've got a beautiful high tech engine under glass...why not show it off?!

Met up with Nsxotic (another board member) about a week ago to admire each others cars... he has what seems to be a custom mesh-cover which looks just fantastic, I'm sure it makes a difference UV-wise yet one can still admire the engine.

His is a 91 in showroom condition, not sure how long he's had the mesh but this man knows & loves his car so I doubt there'd be a negative effect there.

Mine is a targa so no options there for me.

Thanks for the compliment...... We need to hook up again soon. I'm off today too (WOW) . I don't think there will be any ill effects on the rubber parts......especially considering that I keep them conditioned... My God, I'm whacked!!!!
smile.gif
You can see pics of my engine cover at the link below.

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

You condition the hoses? I'd agree that you are whacked if it wasn't that I am still just as obsessed.

Washed my car for the first time last weekend, then decided I didn't have anything in my garage worthy enough to dry it so opted for the old method of taking it out to air-dry it... but with the air dynamics of this car it is impossible to even jiggle the water drops on some sections of the front & back, regardless of speed!

Kind of weird to be going really fast and see the water drops on the humps above the wheel wells totally still!

Now I'm pondering whether I should let the detail guys that show up on Fridays wash it...

Wash it yourself and use the "Absorber" to dry it, but make sure the absorber is clean. It won't remove the wax like a regular chamois. By the way, I'd polish the undercarriage if I could reach the frickin' thing....

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Back