• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing Swirls from Black paint ?????

Originally posted by garthed:
What is the best way to remove swirls from black paint and keep them off? Any suggestions?

Zaino it. Use either Z1 followed by Z5, or Z5 with ZFX accelerator. Works extremely well for me.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

One thing you have to remember is that a swirl mark is a micro scratch in the clear coat of the car. The most microscopic dirt particle caught in a towel or any synthetic fabric can cause them.

To *really* get rid of them, the only thing you can do is use some form of abrasive to wear down the clear to the level of the micro scratch. We are talking microns here, so generally, something like the 3M swirl remover (an abrasive) applied gently with a soft 100000% cotton USA towel, by hand, will do the trick.

Some products "remove" swirls without using an abrasive. 99.9% of them do this by filling in the swirls. Eventually, obviously, the swirls "return".

Zaino is interesting because it does something different. The way I understand it (and I may be wrong), Z5 is laying down a layer *over* the clear. Multiple coats of Z5 have the effect of forming a sort of armor that covers and hides the swirls.

Zaino masters, is this about right?

Good luck with those swirls and, if bad comes to worst, a top of the line detailer can get them out for you by buffing or *eep* wet sanding...

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
try the pine cone.
Yes and soon the snow starts to melt. This is the optimum time to gather your yearly supply.(kidding)

I also choose the "3m Swirl Haze Remover" specifically for black cars.It's hard work doing it by hand, but it works.In addition think about what material you are using when washing,drying and even waxing.I recommend a quality 100% leather chamois to dry with. If using towels even if 100% cotton...they must have high thread count(good stuff) and wash the towels using only liquid detergent. Powders are abrasive...(seriously)

I use Zaino, but to totally remove swirl marks and/or light scratches I've been using the Griot's low speed orbital with Griot's no heat polish products...Amazing results. I was skeptical at first...Tried it on the wife's car, my truck, and finally my NSX. Excellent product(s).

Originally posted by DaveJP:
I use Zaino, but to totally remove swirl marks and/or light scratches I've been using the Griot's low speed orbital with Griot's no heat polish products...Amazing results. I was skeptical at first...Tried it on the wife's car, my truck, and finally my NSX. Excellent product(s).

I agree 100%. Been using this method for years (Machine polish#3) and Best of Show Wax from Griot’s garage. Results are better than other products I’ve tried and I’ve tried almost all! This process produces an amazing deep 3D luster w/ no scratch marks on the black roof of my Silver ’92.

DanO

When i bought my 91' with 42k on it, it was is great shape, but man in the sunlight looked like absolute shit! Swirl city. I tried EVERYTHING outthere. Finally, i used the Zaino stuff, followed online instructions EXACTLY and now even under my extremely bright shop lights, not one swirl to be found. The paint is amazing now. Definetly recomend this stuff. Better than anything out there. IMO.

ERIC

When I bought my '91 a few years ago, it had typical swirl marks from commercial car washing. I removed them with 3M swirl mark remover for DARK cars. Used it with a machine for faster results and the car was beautiful.

S.L.

I also have swirl marks on my Formula Red NSX-T, from the previous owner's handy work, and I've not been able to apply enough coats of Zaino's to fill them in, so I'm interested in a permanenet solution.

I looked at the Griot Garage website, and they say to use the "Porter Cable Random Orbital" machine to apply thier swirl removing polish. Quite amazingly, I already have this machine and wasn't using it because of all the negative hype about machines causing swirl marks.

Have any of you guys used the Griot product in combination with the Porter Cable Random Orbital machine to remove your swirls?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Yes, that is exactly what I use..Purchased from Griot...The Griot low temp polish products (1,2,&3) must be used with a machine. Don't be afraid. As advertised, you absolutely cannot burn your paint.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to try the Zaino stuff in the next week or so. The car looks good but when the sun hits it lord help I almost die.

I saw Eric's car at his shop in bright light, and there is not one swirl in the entire car. I thought the entire car had been repainted.

When Chris came down to Portland to show us the BBSC, EVERY Portland NSX was black (Including my car.) Parked next to the Zaino NSX (Eric's) my car looked like very dull.

I can safely say the Zaino is the best product I have seen to date. I have tried Meguiars, Zymol, and 3m. Nothing looked like the Zaino.

NSXY,

Check out the Griot's website, as he states his Porter Cable has been modified for use as a polisher, and is not the "typical" model found at Lowe's or Home Depot. I do not have one, but have been very tempted as my red is very swirly, and Zaino has helped but not covered them up.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

When there are several coats of wax or polish already on the car, does one need to strip them off before using these orbital machines? As in starting from scratch? (pun intended)

My father has been a professional car detailer for over 25 years. Your best bet is to take the car to a professional and have it buffed by someone who knows what the are doing. You will be simply amazed at what a true perfectionist can do. Then after your paint is perfect, try to wax and clean the car properly from that point on to maintain it. But, you will never be satisfied by hand applications, get it done professionally.

Yo jsottile,

I hear ya talking, but at the risk of making detailer enemies, I must respond.

I have been to numerous "professional" detailers over the years with my other cars, and not one of them has been as much a perfectionist and compulsively detail-oriented as I am. Not one!

They've usually wanted to knock it out in a few hours and that's it. In fact, all of these guys have used orbital buffers rather than random-orbital buffers or hand work only, and none would even consider polishing a car completely by hand, even when I offered to pay extra for the service.

The "professional" detailer who last professionally detailed my virtually new car at 2,800 miles (just before I bought it), used his professional know-how, high-rpm orbital buffer and large grit compound to professionally burn through the red paint on both window washer dodads on the hood and professionally swirl marks into the clear coat all over the car.

Maybe I just haven't found the right detailing outfit, but I'm worn out and no longer interested in looking. This isn't black magic or high technology requiring advanced PhD training. It's just the carefully controlled, patient removal of a very thin layer of clear coat.

So, being an A-type personality, I'm going to do it right myself, by first researching the topic completely (which includes this and other websites), then buy the best and most appropriate products, then experiment on another car to perfect my technique, and finally repair the NSX paint myself. And I'm going to have fun doing it too!

Obviously if you own an NSX, have pride of ownership, love to care for your car, and don't consider detailing time as your enemy, you'll be more cautious and careful than those who need to knock them out at work.

Based on my two years of frequenting this website I've gotten to know how thoughtful and careful so many forum members are regarding the care of their NSX's. I'd predict that many forum members are actually better detailers than most "professional" detailers, because their NSX is their avocation, so they take their time to do things right, slowly and carefully.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

[This message has been edited by NSXY (edited 08 March 2002).]

dduuuhhhh, thats great guys, but for a dumbs*it like me this is a little scary. my previous car waxing has been for fun, not fashion. never really worried about swirls, just throw a coat of wax on to protect the paint.

now i have a black nsx which im sure im gonna destroy in my loving efforts to tenderly clean it....I WANT to pay someone to show me how not to screw it up...

huckster,

It's not rocket science (I know, my wife was one at Lockheed); it's clear coat paint.

To learn almost all you need to know, read this http://www.automotivedetailing.com/articles/highspeedbuffing.htm and then go over the various pages of this website http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

Then have some fun. Are you a "huckster" (One who sells wares or provisions in the street; a peddler or hawker) or "consumer" (one that consumes, especially one that acquires goods or services for direct use or ownership rather than for resale or use in production and manufacturing)?

------------------
NSXY

Originally posted by NSXY:
Have any of you guys used the Griot product in combination with the Porter Cable Random Orbital machine to remove your swirls?

I have used only Griot's Garage products on my '93 Red MR2 Turbo and my '91 Black NSX. I highly recommend these products. I had exactly ZERO experience detailing a car but by following their very clear instructions I achieved excellent results the first time out.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Zaino Z-5 will work wonders on light swirl marks. Use it with the new ZFX and I think you'll be very impressed.

I used Z-5 on my first NSX (Black) and still use it on my (Red) car.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Back