• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Repainting the entire NSX

Originally posted by pbassjo:
Is it already heat treated in the same manner, to the same degree or is it of a lesser quality than the original on the car?

I seem to recall hearing from our factory sources that the parts purchased separately have been heat treated in a process (obviously) separate from the assembly line's paint booth.

Are there more steps or less steps on the other colors that don't have the tinted coat? Do they state that there is a difference in their procedures as to the number of steps for different colors?

I just assumed that the tinted clear coat for the red color takes the place of the step for the clear clear coat for the other colors. No?

I don't know all the answers, but...

Soooooo....
I'd also like to know what they were thinking of when no protective clear
coat was put on the original Formula red.
Did they not expect owners to wax their cars and have them get blotchy when the tinted clear coat rubbed off?

My understanding is it's no different than anyother clear coat when you take remove all the wax and are rubbing the clear coat. The only reason you do notice is BECAUSE it's tinted red. You don't notice on a car with clear clearcoat since it's clear and therefore don't see the small amount of clearcoat that you are rubbing off when you continue to rub after removing all the wax. Right?

Are there more steps or less steps on the other colors that don't have the tinted coat? Do they state that there is a difference in their procedures as to the number of steps for different colors?

I'm almost certain, it's the same process and number of steps, since all the material I've seen mention 27 steps. From my understanding, the only difference is the clear coat for Formula red is a tinted clearcoat.

With a 27 step paint process how do they make a profit even at 90 grand?

They never have. It's pretty well known that every NSX has been sold at a loss. Right?

------------------
ojaspatel.com/nsx

With a 27 step paint process how do they make a profit even at 90 grand?

See an interesting (if somewhat speculative) pricing discussion here.

Back