• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Resurfacing -R Spoiler (UV Damage)

My R spoiler was severely yellowed by UV exposure. My mission: remove the yellow.

Disclaimer: this was my first re-finishing experience. My methods were not a science. Suggestions are encouraged for future DIYers!

Here are a few photos of the spoiler before:
UV1.jpgUV2.jpgUV3.jpgUV4.jpg
As shown, the yellowing was the most obvious in the thickest layers of the clear coat (places of highest curvature). The yellowing was even more noticeable when in daylight versus my dingy basement.

Next, the sanding:
FinalSand.jpgLayers.jpgDusty!.jpg
The middle photo shows the different appearances of the clear coat's layers as you make it down. I went almost all the way to the carbon layer (the yellowing was that bad). I used primarily 150 grit sandpaper with a palm sander/sanding block/my hands, then some 1000 grit for final sanding. This stuff is brutal to remove and takes hours and hours to do. Oh and it is extremely dusty.

Lastly, painting:
ClearCoating.jpg
I used spray can "UV-Resistant Glossy Clear Coat" from Rustoleum. I put on 4 or 5 coats.

Re-installed:
After1.jpgAfter2.jpgAfter3.jpg

Wow! The spoiler is black not off-black any more! The photos show a subtly un-smooth finish. This can be compensated for with wet-sanding using 2000 grit (haven't got to that point).

The wing made it on the car because I needed my 3rd brake light back for legal driving. But depending on how the finish grows on me, I may or may not remove the wing, wet-sand, and re-clear coat.

Unfortunates:
Oops!.jpg
As shown, I got carried away a little two much in a few sections. I can live with it, besides it looks better than the yellow fog before!

I would recommend this job to anyone who has a spare spoiler or as a perfect winter DIY. In Ontario, it is illegal to drive without a 3rd brake light (oops). The kicker is that if I got rear ended, I would be at the short end of the stick (knowingly driving with defective brake lights).

The job isn't too complicated or expensive, but requires much patience and time! I must admit, my patience was tested. I would also recommend getting a quote from a trusted body shop. If you value your time more than I do, get a professional to do the job (it will probably turn out better). But if you are up to a challenge, give it a shot. If you really screw things up, you can always paint it :tongue:.

Lucas

Back