• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Review: Tein type-RA suspensions

Suspension tuning is all about adjustability. The more things you can change, the better your car will fit to your specific demands. We also now that being fast on the track is all about how a driver can take hi/her car to its limit. The more suitable a car is set up to fit the driving styles of its driver, the faster it can go. The Tein type-RA coil over suspensions is better than the stock suspension in many area. Adjustability is just one of them. First, let's look at its construction. The full aluminum construction of the Tein set-up saves more than 26lbs over the stock components. we know removing 26lbs from the suspension is not like removing 26lbs from any where else on the car. It is unsprung weight, thus the 26lbs reduction is much more dramatic then the number suggests. Besides the high quality construction, it's nice to know that the Tein shocks are fully rebuiltable.
Going back to my initial point about adjustability, the type-RA suspension can be adjusted in its height, and the damping. The height is adjustable within a range of raising the car 1inch to lowering the car 3inches, more than enough for anybody, unless you want to cut grass, or go off-road. The shocks' damping is adjustable in 16 increments, from very soft to very stiff. The adjustment is done via special key provided by Tein that turns a nut on top of the shocks, very much like the adjustable Konis.
Now let's talk about packaging. Besides the 4 shocks and main springs w/ helper springs already assembled and toped with pillow ball bearing top mount, the packages also includes height adjustment wrenches, damping adjustment tools, installation manual, and height measuring tool. Everything you need besides a mechanic's garage is included in the package.
Ok, so how does it go? First of all, the spring rate that comes with each type-RA suspensions kit is set at 10kg/mm front, and 12kg/mm rear. This is quit harsh for street driving unless you have smooth roads like they do in Japan. But the good thing to know is that Tein offers different rate springs. You can chose between 8kg/mm~12kg/mm for front, and 10kg/mm~14kg/mm for the rears. Unfortunately, you have to pay extra to get those optional springs. I have the standard spring rates, and I go tell you, the car goes like a dream! The response of these shocks are amazing! The victims of my Tein equipped NSX are Vipers, Porsches, Corvettes, Ferraris, etc. I'm not a good driver, but I have yet to be passed while driving my NSX on track.
As a final word, if you want the ultimate track suspension set-up without paying huge amounts of money, get the Tein type-RA, or type-RE suspension kits. They are worth every penny of their asking price. On the other hand, if you are looking for height adjustable suspension for your nice baby NSX that will never see the race track, I would recommend something a little bit more civilized.
How to buy the Teins? There are many dealers in USA now, go online, or visit your local import performance stores and they should be able to get you the shocks. I can also get them for you for $2200 shipped directly from Japan. (you pay custom charges) But please consider me as a last resort if you cannot find anyone who could get them for you.

------------------
<A HREF="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/maomaosnsxmodclub
Join" TARGET=_blank>http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/maomaosnsxmodclub
Join</A> my club for infos on my NSX.

maomaonsx, does tein offer different kits for the nsx? i thought they had a ra, re, ha,...

Tein has RA and RE for the NSX. No plans now to make the RS version.

------------------
<A HREF="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/maomaosnsxmodclub
Join" TARGET=_blank>http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/maomaosnsxmodclub
Join</A> my club for infos on my NSX.

There are two types of coilovers that Tein offers for the NSX. One is the type RA and the other is type RE. The RA is Racing Spec while the RE is called super racing spec. One of the major differences is that the RE has an extra adjustment at the bottom of the strut body that can adjust the actual length of the strut. The RE offers more adjustability for a slightly higher price.

------------------
NSX Modified
17222 Gothard Suite E
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(714)842-9135
Larry Garcia(NSX Master Tech)
Alex Chiu(Parts& Appointments)

I actually emailed Tein in Japan to check the difference between the RE and RA. Larry is right with the additional difference in dual spring (tender spring) on RA.

However, they emailed me back saying that if I plan to use the car in street driving, even very little, they suggest to go with RA simce the RE will be too stiff and will cause more wear and tear on other suspension parts.

maomaonsx, I assume that the top nut adjustment is for rebound (pulling out) rate only, and there is no adjustment for compression (pushing in)?

As for the weight savings being unsprung, I suspect that the majority of the difference is in the springs, which I'm not sure can all be considered as unsprung in a coil-over arrangement. Does anyone know for sure? (I used to know this stuff.)

Either way, I may need to try them if/when I tire of my Konis + H&R. Thanks for the info!

I have the Tein REs on my car, and they feel pretty good on the track. The spring rates are the same as the RAs out of the box (10 & 12 kg/mm) so it's still a rough ride on the streets. These on my nsx feel better than my bilstein/HR/RD setup on my M3...just my 2 cents...

Everyone that drove George's TEIN Type-RA equipped car has fallen in love with the suspension package. We all have significant experience now with the different packages available in the U.S. and Japan.

ScienceofSpeed now carries the TEIN package.

Best news is that it is only several hundred more than a shock/spring package available from other NSX vendors (such packages are NON adjustable). I have been able to negotiate special pricing which is FAR below the quote George posted above.

After much research, it was apparent that the TEIN setup is regarded as the best setup for the NSX in Japan.
www.ScienceofSpeed.com/Products for more information. Please stay tuned for more information to follow.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 13 May 2001).]

Back