• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

reviews are out

My point is the design goal of the NSX is that some shlub can drive it and get great results right away.
From what I have read this far, the reports haven't been very good of the control systems. Perhaps I'm thinking of the Lighting Lap article? I mean that they say the car is much better with the systems off, whereas that wasn't true of the other cars.

From what I have read this far, the reports haven't been very good of the control systems. Perhaps I'm thinking of the Lighting Lap article? I mean that they say the car is much better with the systems off, whereas that wasn't true of the other cars.

Have to be careful to not draw too many conclusions here. These guys are trying for 10/10ths--- maybe 11/10ths. We need to hear from mere mortals in terms of how intrusive/limiting the stability controls are in "Track" mode. I'll be at the track next weekend and share my findings--- I won't be going "all nannies off" for a while, if ever (unless it's REALLY bad, which I think is very unlikely).

That said, I saw the same comments and was a bit bummed that they complained about it.

I'll be at the track next weekend and share my findings--- I won't be going "all nannies off" for a while, if ever (unless it's REALLY bad, which I think is very unlikely).

That said, I saw the same comments and was a bit bummed that they complained about it.

turn all that shit off, she's AWD. you can't get in that much trouble... :biggrin:

He certainly seems to be a fan. I predict the Grand Sport will be the fastest overall around its home track and will get the crown (the absolute performance and value-for-money are simply amazing), but it seems that the NSX might do even better here than at VIR relative to the rest of the field. It will also be interesting to see if the R8v10Plus turns in a better performance than at VIR.

The real test of the premise for the car would be a comparo of the AMG GT-S, 911 turbo, R8, 570S, Huracan, 488 and NSX on the same day and same track where some shlub off the street driver (maybe a little better than that in skill) drove all of them.

My point is the design goal of the NSX is that some shlub can drive it and get great results right away.

It wold be fun to see how the shlub does driving such cars head to head.

i agree with a same day/same driver test format, but a shlub off the street as you say, wouldn't be able to get the cars anywhere near their potential, which is what a race track and these machines are designed to do.

it does seem that the perceived design goal of any shlub off the street being able to drive it and get great results right away isn't the case however. C&D said it took all three days with the car to chip time away until it hit its ultimate lap...

Australian Wheels Magazine October edition has an NSX preview in this month's edition. In a nutshell they love the car [save for some minor quibbles] but pick out special praise for the transmission, which in their opinion is the equal of Porsche's much loved PDK.

Wheels%20Magazine%201_zpsbvyhqxt4.jpg

Wheels%20Magazine%202_zpsdnvqffmr.jpg

Attachments

• Wheels Magazine 1.pdf
    831.5 KB · Views: 5
Seems almost unbelievable that they would do that on a public road! I say 'almost' because when I was in Germany in 2012, I was doing an indicted 215kph in my lease car, and a train of Audi A5, BMW M3 and C Class AMG went past me like I was standing still, in traffic heavier than in that video.............

^^^
I thought so too - insane and so potentially lethal when you think about the reflexes that would be required to try and react to someone else's inattention at that speed. I take it that speed indicated is the governed top speed, but when it dropped into the overdrive gear there looked to be still quite a bit of headroom.

If only it could hit 200 mph.

it doesn't seem to hit 60 in under 3 seconds, or the quarter mile in under 11 seconds either. it's falling just a little shy of all the benchmarks...

I don't know that it matters in the real world. Almost all of these are going to be highway cruisers, and the over-whelming limitations are the type and topography of the roads, and the legal open-road speed limit. For those that are hung up about needing a track or strip champion that outclasses the other tribe's champions, they can chase their elusive pot-of-gold at the end of the rainbow to their hearts content. There will always be another tribe that will seek the bragging rights to announce 'we can do better than you'. And yes there will always be someone who is going to want to rain on someone else's parade. Boys in the sandpit.

The truth is, all the cars in the MT shoot-out are lickety-split quick. At this performance level in a production road-going vehicle, it's now approaching the law of diminishing returns, where the laws of physics are resulting in incrementally smaller and smaller gains. The differences in times around a track are now to a great extent, going to hinge around so many effecting variables, even where a professional race-car driver is involved.

all of these cars are more than fast enough to kill you or get you incarcerated in seconds. even our old NSX's are more than capable. but it's a competitive field, and a few tenths here and there is an eternity when two cars are side by side. a tenth of a second in a quarter mile race is normally about a car length. easy math to do.

it's all about bragging rights between the car makers and car buyers, nothing more nothing less...

I agree with [MENTION=25269]fastaussie[/MENTION]. Winners brag and losers make excuses and say it doesn't matter. It matters very much. The NSX team must be super bummed that the NSX took so long to ship because, as of the time they did the core design engineering, the car was much more competitive. But the rest of the world did not stand still. Deltas of multiple seconds around racetracks are NOT nothing.

That said, I don't think the target NSX buyer has "laptimes" at the top of their buying criteria. As I've said before, those who have never owned a 911 Turbo (capital "T") should probably buy one before an NSX. And those seeking a track toy should consider a 570S or, if they aren't put off by Bowties, a Z06 or Grand Sport. Many awesome choices out there. For me, I have no regrets (after 56 hours of ownership). Car is a blast to drive.

^^^
Yes sure I understand that, and am just as guilty with the tribal thing - but my point is that the trophy never stays in one place for long. For me the substantial purchase price means whatever I buy, it's got to last a decent period of time - I don't see myself affording to trade-up or swap marques on the whim of the next new margin beating version.

Secondly, as myself and another have alluded to - this is Honda's first effort out of the starting blocks for a quarter of a century. It's a damn good start, and I don't for a minute think Honda will sit on their hands and do nothing to develop their halo car - there's too much invested.

Whoa, hang on, didn't we all think that with the last generation??

Well yes you probably did (I never liked the look of it). But, then this new iteration isn't a mid-engined Prelude on steroids, right? Quite a different beast, in a different era with different company leadership. I could be wrong and suppose Honda might take the conservative line if they felt it had been a wasted effort in terms of intended purpose. If so, then the aftermarket tuners I'm sure will fill the gap.

Whoa, hang on, didn't we all think that with the last generation??

I believe there were several things that conspired against the last NSX being more substantially developed. First the sales were very low and that was not anticipated so it became more difficult to sell to management. But I believe the biggest challenge was that its shrink wrapped design made it very difficult to grow the engine and cool it. The new car has addressed all these concerns from the get go. First, they have approached this effort without expecting a direct return on their investment. Second, they have plenty of cooling and plenty of options to improve performance - built into the design.

So they learned a lot from the first generation...

Back