• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rick's Type R Valve Cover Install

I performed Rick's Type R Valve Cover install earlier this year at his place. He was kind enough to share all the photos he took and of course was hospitable as ever making sure I was constantly supplied with fresh beverages! Thanks again Rick and enjoy the new look!

Removing the Targa strut...
P7106179.jpg

Removed all the fuel rail covers and various bits. Working on the wire harness brackets...
P7106180.jpg

Pars laid out in somewhat neat piles... :biggrin: no Ziplock bags this time...
P7106190.jpg

Fresh covers waiting their installation basking in the sun. Don't worry, the coating is UV stable!
P7106185.jpg

Rear cover removed and resting amidst all the fresh covers in the sun. The OEM paint is NOT UV stable!
P7106193.jpg

Rick's complex and difficult task was to wash and clean all the misc parts.
P7106214.jpg

The rear cover is a tight fit. Mostly blind and important to insure all the seals stay in place.
P7106205.jpg

Rear and front covers installed and ready to be torqued down.
P7106209.jpg

Torquing down the valve covers.
P7106217.jpg

Intake Manifold cover removed and ready for install.
P7106219.jpg

Front cover torqued and ready for coil install.
P7106215.jpg

Intake Manifold Cover installed
P7106220.jpg

Everything back on the engine!
P7106230.jpg

P7106221.jpg

P7106233.jpg

Wow, the covers look amazing, and your work is first class and diligent as always. I am very tempted.

You had Rick on a good day. I am sure he would agree!:biggrin:

It's ALWAYS a good day ( depending on the company )....

I just wanted to add that Garrick truly is a professional with his skills. I highly recommend this work to him should you want to spice up your NSX.
Now I know he has OCD cause every thing he does is meticulous. From the torque job to the clean-up.
BTW after about a month of driving, I haven't lost a drop of oil. Thanks again Garrick !

Last edited:
Garrick is a maniac. The kid built all the harnesses to put the center console from an accord into his nsx with full functionality, 6 YEARS AGO. He was the first mental case to do something like that AFAIK.

Actually it was the TL Nav system with HFL and Blutooth back in the day... circa 2004 and did it all again in 2008 adding XM traffic using the TL-S Nav system circa 2007 :biggrin: Since then, I've custom laser cut the JDM buttons to have the proper HFL and Telephone graphics and illumination as well as customized the Cruise button to show a fog light picture instead of "cruise". My 99 Accord has a 2007 CRV navigation double din installed and now my STi SE (without Nav) now has factory STi Nav... but I digress...

Some of you who are paying close attention may ask... why were you using the blue gloves in the beginning and then went to bare hands? Too hot and sweaty? :confused:

No, actually I used the blue gloves when I was handling all the dirty parts in the engine area and when it came time to handle the new "clean" covers, I took the gloves off to ensure that they didn't get dirty as well as my torque wrench! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Some of you who are paying close attention may ask... why were you using the blue gloves in the beginning and then went to bare hands? Too hot and sweaty? :confused:

No, actually I used the blue gloves when I was handling all the dirty parts in the engine area and when it came time to handle the new "clean" covers, I took the gloves off to ensure that they didn't get dirty as well as my torque wrench! :biggrin:

I did notice the blue gloves on and off, and thought it was just a picture sequence mix up. Now that's attention to detail. Better yet, Rick probably should have cleaned the engine bay before you did the work.

G, you are one of a kind.

Actually it was the TL Nav system with HFL and Blutooth back in the day... circa 2004 and did it all again in 2008 adding XM traffic using the TL-S Nav system circa 2007 :biggrin: Since then, I've custom laser cut the JDM buttons to have the proper HFL and Telephone graphics and illumination as well as customized the Cruise button to show a fog light picture instead of "cruise". My 99 Accord has a 2007 CRV navigation double din installed and now my STi SE (without Nav) now has factory STi Nav... but I digress...

WOW, pics of the new setup in your NSX please. Saving my toonies to come see you for some oem nav help.

And great work as always!

Looking good Garrick... congrats on the new covers Rick!

Looks hot, so jealous I can't get this on my car, not without having to transport it to the GTA and leaving it there for a loooong time :(

Looks hot, so jealous I can't get this on my car, not without having to transport it to the GTA and leaving it there for a loooong time :(

Well, I can do a regular car in about 2-3 hours. Your car may take another hour or so but it can be done... say if you came to Est fest, I could have worked on your car early morning or during an afternoon break or at night.

I will have to charge a little more due to the additional labor involved but like I said, if you want to plan something, leave at least 4 hours open and I can do it for you. Just let me know!

Well, I can do a regular car in about 2-3 hours. Your car may take another hour or so but it can be done... say if you came to Est fest, I could have worked on your car early morning or during an afternoon break or at night.

I will have to charge a little more due to the additional labor involved but like I said, if you want to plan something, leave at least 4 hours open and I can do it for you. Just let me know!

I dunno Garrick...there's a lot of crap I have bolted ON TOP of what you normally see in the engine bay. :redface:
28510_446869071223_690446223_6174449_1637993_n.jpg

Wow... there are lots to take apart :eek:, but a very nice Gruppe setup indeed. You are hardcore JC.

You need to come to est fest next spring and get the full "Garrick" treatment.

Actually looks like the rear has about the same amount of clearance but the one pipe in the front may need to come off. I'd have to see a side view from the passenger side down into the area to know for sure but it's definitely doable without having to touch the blower.

That's just it. I don't want to have Garrick tear into it in some parking lot and discover he's bitten off more than he can chew (this is a common theme when it comes to my car).

If I get this done, I see myself staying at his home for a weekend while I hear him swear his head off in the driveway while I sit there sipping my latte. :cool:

More pics:
n690446223_623343_3727.jpg

28510_446868861223_690446223_6174448_3460459_n.jpg

36439_450371806223_690446223_6268779_1037777_n.jpg

...sorry for quality, its all i have handy atm

Last edited:
Definitely a tight fit, but it still looks doable and I only say this after having done the job 10 times or more now. I'd know for certain if I saw it in person and could reach my hand in to ensure I could "feel" all the parts that need to be handled.

I can do the covers blind and by feel. The rear cover I can definitely do blind. Just need to ensure that I can get to everything that gets in the way of removal. Next time we meet up, I can make an assessment!

Definitely a tight fit, but it still looks doable and I only say this after having done the job 10 times or more now. I'd know for certain if I saw it in person and could reach my hand in to ensure I could "feel" all the parts that need to be handled.

I can do the covers blind and by feel. The rear cover I can definitely do blind. Just need to ensure that I can get to everything that gets in the way of removal. Next time we meet up, I can make an assessment!

Now you're just showing off. Becareful what you wish for. I can see you swearing at him too... haha..

J, It would be great to see your car in person. The setup looks mean:mad:

Haha! You're right... I need to see it in person. May not need to remove the entire blower but that aluminum bracket in front of the rear cover does look like it might get in the way as well as the pipe in the front...

Hi [MENTION=10487]lithiumus[/MENTION],

are you still alive? :biggrin: hope so :smile:

i need to contact you... my email is numic at hotmail dot com

Thanks,
Nuno

Back