• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ride the Rockies 2009 (September)

Mark your calendars, NSX Ride the Rockies (RTR) is September 18-20 (Fri-Sun).

If you don't know what RTR is: It is essentially a multi-day group drive through part of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. The following posts have info from 2008, 2007, and 2006 if that helps. It's not exclusive to NSXs - we explicitly invite the S2000 club, friends with fun cars, people with Integra Type-Rs who never drive them, etc.

Picking one of the weekends soon after Labor Day has worked out well the last few years (less traffic and cheaper hotels). So we're planning on the same for this year, with a twist. We're making it a 3-day event so folks have a day to play in the mountains as they see fit.

Will has picked a great southern route to give us some variety after two years of nearly the same (northern) route.

Looking for accomidations similar to those which have worked well in the past (garage parking, rooms that share living/cooking/eating/hang-out area, ability to cancel with relatively short notice in case snow is predicted, etc) I found The Purgatory Mountain Lodge. They have "Club" units on the top floor which share a "club lounge" area with the following amenities compared to the regular units (all are included/complimentary, except drinks at the bar):
  • full bar
  • hors d' oeuvres
  • game area with 2 pool tables, shuffle-board and family playing nooks
  • high-definition LCD television with family DVD library
  • video game stations with LCD monitors
  • large stone fireplace
  • continental breakfast
Like last year I will be handling the lodging and collecting money in advance. This saves a lot of hassle checking in, making reservations, trying to split the bill, and making sure last-minute drop-outs don't increase the cost unexpectedly. This is not a money-making endeavor for me, after paying for lodging and some communal goodies (ice cream) - any balance is returned to you at the end of the weekend.

I've reserved two 4-room "Club" units and can book more if needed. The 4-room "Club" units run $531.27/night after taxes/fees (regular 4-bedroom units run $474.2). The bottom line for ya'll (total cost per room for two nights) will hopefully be around $266 for the weekend. I say "hopefully" because that price assumes full utilization (we have 8 rooms sign up)...so it could be higher. I can mitigate that somewhat by downgrading one (or both) of the rooms to smaller non-club units. The "club" units have a loft with fold-out couch, which also gives us some flexibility (can sleep 2 more if needed/appropriate). Regardless, I'll do my best to accommodate everyone while being sensitive to cost.

***To sign-up***
  1. Send me $300 via check (PM for mailing address) or PayPal (to [email protected]). If using PayPal, please pay for any related fees (if you select a "personal" transfer and fund from a bank account it looks like there is no fee).
  2. Let me know what type of room configuration would best accommodate you (one queen/king bed because you're coming with your spouse, two twin beds because you're coming with a friend, either of the above, loft OK, by myself so willing to split room with another, etc). I haven't picked a formula, but whoever stays in the loft will pay less...assuming that doesn't leave another room vacant.
If you have suggestions for lunch spots along the route (A to B = first day; B to C = third day) or a gathering/starting place in Colorado Springs, please let us know.

***Attendee List***
(rooms not final, just putting folks somewhere)

Unit 1
  • Room1 (King): Jim & Joyce
  • Room2 (King): Dale & Pam
  • Room3 (Queen): Craig & Harold
  • Room4 (2 Twins): Will & Todd
  • Loft (fold-out):

***Ideas for Saturday***

Last edited:
I'm VERY interested in this. If you finalize this soon and we're allowed to tag along, I'll poll the New Mexico NSX'ers to see if anyone else down here is game for this.

i'll see how my car will be running! then decide from that

dan

Gotta work out details with the wifey because of my daughter.

Anyone else bring their better half with them or is it mostly just owners? :frown:

Gotta work out details with the wifey because of my daughter.

Anyone else bring their better half with them or is it mostly just owners? :frown:

Last year there were 4 spouses (Jim & Joyce, Kyle's parents, me & Aimee, RKTEK & Pam). One purpose of the "fun day" in the middle is to make the two driving days less-unappealing to the better gender. My wife would come this year if our 2nd daughter was older (will be almost 6mo by RTR, so too young to leave with my parents for 3 days).

I'm VERY interested in this. If you finalize this soon and we're allowed to tag along, I'll poll the New Mexico NSX'ers to see if anyone else down here is game for this.
You and other NSXers willing to drive out here are more than welcome.

Last year there were 4 spouses (Jim & Joyce, Kyle's parents, me & Aimee, RKTEK & Pam). One purpose of the "fun day" in the middle is to make the two driving days less-unappealing to the better gender. My wife would come this year if our 2nd daughter was older (will be almost 6mo by RTR, so too young to leave with my parents for 3 days).

My parents are Roger and Kathy :tongue: RKTEK = Dale.

I should be sending a check soon, I'll be taking a queen size bed.

I wish I could but I don't think I will make it this year becuase we are expecting our another kid in 4 weeks. Although I only made it out for the first day, last year was a blast (not inclusinve of the bent wheel of course :frown:).

Eric

Craig,

My parents will be attending this year as well. They would like a king size bed. Could you PM me your address so we can get the checks sent out? If you could PM me at s2kca I would appreciate it (user name spa01s2k).

Thanks

I'll have to pass on this since I'm departing for a 7000 +/- mile, 23 +/- state trip on Sept 24th. I will be starting off in Jackson Hole, WY with my wife for a lawyer-type meeting. She will fly back to Denver, and I will go on to North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin to Michigan's UP, finally meeting my wife again in Yellow Springs, OH. Sadly I will not be able to make it to Toronto for NSCPO 2009.

From there we will head to Mammoth Cave, KY, through Tennessee to go up the Blue Ridge Pky to West Virginia and Pennsylvania to Mill Run, and the Frank Wright house, Falling Water.

After that it is off toward Washington, DC to spend the Columbus Day weekend with my daughter and son-in-law, visiting friends in NJ and Delaware. There is another lawyer-type meeting at Williamsberg, VA later that week.

Nancy will fly back to Denver from Newport News after that meeting, after which I'll continue through North and South Carolina, Georgia to Florida to visit a very old friend from back in my New York days.

I'll return home through Alabama, Mississippi, Lousiana, Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

I''m going to earn that yellow ribbon.

Hope you all have a great, safe time on your trip. See you when I get back.

I'll have to pass on this since I'm departing for a 7000 +/- mile, 23 +/- state trip on Sept 24th. I will be starting off in Jackson Hole, WY with my wife for a lawyer-type meeting. She will fly back to Denver, and I will go on to North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin to Michigan's UP, finally meeting my wife again in Yellow Springs, OH. Sadly I will not be able to make it to Toronto for NSCPO 2009.

From there we will head to Mammoth Cave, KY, through Tennessee to go up the Blue Ridge Pky to West Virginia and Pennsylvania to Mill Run, and the Frank Wright house, Falling Water.

After that it is off toward Washington, DC to spend the Columbus Day weekend with my daughter and son-in-law, visiting friends in NJ and Delaware. There is another lawyer-type meeting at Williamsberg, VA later that week.

Nancy will fly back to Denver from Newport News after that meeting, after which I'll continue through North and South Carolina, Georgia to Florida to visit a very old friend from back in my New York days.

I'll return home through Alabama, Mississippi, Lousiana, Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

I''m going to earn that yellow ribbon.

Hope you all have a great, safe time on your trip. See you when I get back.

Mark I just wanted to let you know you're my hero. Have a safe trip.

My parents are not going to be able to make the trip :frown:

And at this time its not looking good for me either.

It is time to finalize units/rooms. It looks like we're going to consolidate into one unit, but I don't want to do that if a few more people are coming...but have simply failed to speak up.

If you're planning on coming and are not on the list in the first post, please get your check in the mail by this Friday (Aug 28th). Also shoot me a PM or email so I know it's on the way.

Thanks.

Craig,

Haven't heard much lately, are we still on for the RTR? Joyce and I are ready to go and looking forward to getting out for one more drive.

Jim
Green '94

Craig,

Haven't heard much lately, are we still on for the RTR? Joyce and I are ready to go and looking forward to getting out for one more drive.

Jim
Green '94

Yep. I'll send an email to everyone tonight/tomorrow with details about meetup location, etc.

Ride the Rockies 2010 (September)

Hello fellow NSX'ers,
When will info be avail for RTR2010?
I am new to the group having just bought my dream but needed to park it; because of a lot of white stuff laying all over the area and mountains in SW Colorado.
Would you direct me to the archive or thread...looking for a group near Pagosa? I see there is Mile High club but could there be a Two-Mile High group for owners down here?
Thank you for your assistance.

Re: Ride the Rockies 2010 (September)

Hello fellow NSX'ers,
When will info be avail for RTR2010?
I am new to the group having just bought my dream but needed to park it; because of a lot of white stuff laying all over the area and mountains in SW Colorado.
Would you direct me to the archive or thread...looking for a group near Pagosa? I see there is Mile High club but could there be a Two-Mile High group for owners down here?
Thank you for your assistance.

Welcome Simon! If we plan one for 2010 it won't be for quite some time. Generally we do them in September or early October to avoid tourist season and get lower rates for lodging.

You might also try to attend NSXPO in Las Vegas next year. Its about as close as it will ever get to Colorado. I'm going to put together a Caravan out of Denver, watch this space.

Back