• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rip Alex Trebek

He battled his health issues with his usual grace....like losing a friendly neighbor...

He was a true gentleman and scholar. Fighting Pancreatic Cancer is a tough one. Some of his remarks when a contestant missed a question were pretty funny.

May he RIP. As a physician, pancreatic cancer is one of my worst fears...

He battled his health issues with his usual grace....like losing a friendly neighbor...

I've reached the age where sadly it now takes many more than two of my hands to count the public figures who are no longer with us whose talents in various disciplines I was fortunate enough to witness and enjoy. Mr. Trebek was one of them. And in deference to his Canadian heritage, that's "neighbour", Doc!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7454150/alex-trebek-sudbury-tribute-jeopardy/

Plug for another great Canadian -- Ken Taylor. As a Canadian living here in the US for over 30 years I have observed that sometimes the US government regrettably forgets who its friends are, including from time to time its good neighbour to the north. Every American, especially our politicians, should read the piece linked below. It is a chilling factual account of not just the well-known story (a la the movie Argo) of the escape from Iran of the Americans hidden by the Canadian Embassy staff during the Iran Hostage Crisis in 1979/80, but also the lesser known back story of what was going on internally within the Canadian government. The efforts made by then Canadian Prime Minister Joe Clark and his cabinet ministers to keep the American guests safe were extraordinary. Ambassador Taylor had balls of steel and was a true hero (sadly passed away 5 years ago), as were numerous other Canadian embassy staff in Iran and their spouses.

https://www.international.gc.ca/gac-amc/history-histoire/ken-taylor.aspx?lang=eng

Best,
Jeff

Back