• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road Atlanta Petit Le Mans Questions

Hey everyone,
I am looking to make the trip from WI to Road Atlanta this year for the Petit Le Mans with a couple other NSX's, and had a few questions.

1. Who else is going? We have had some success at Road America in organizing a decent group of NSX's, is there ever anything planned at Road Atlanta? It would be great to meet some other owners/ALMS fans.

2. As I seem to be late to the planning table, it appears that most hotels in the general area are already booked up. Are there any close by areas that would be decent to stay at on the Friday night. I want to be at the track for most of Friday, and obviously all of Saturday.

3. Have any of you camped for the race? If so, what was the experience like? Pretty sure all my gear would be able to fit.

4. Any thing else to be aware of at Road Atlanta? It has always been one of my favorite tracks and will be great to cross it off my list of places to see.

Thanks for any answers you can give! :)

I remember a couple of years ago Acura sponsored a NSX corral at the Petit le mons. We had a decent collection of NSX's about 14 or so there and they allowed some Honda S2000 to come as well. It was in a great spot right across from the vendor area inside the track. The race was great and they had the drivers come to the tent, had a couple of big screens to watch the race and food and drink for us as well. They also brought in members from the Pit crew and a guy from the tire company to talk to us. Since I live 4 hours away in Savannah, I am not sure where to stay. We stayed at a night hotel on a lake that is about 30 minutes away from the track. I can't remember the name anymore. I wish I could help more.

I will be down from Nebraska. I know the area pretty well since I grew up there.

NSX's
-Every time I have gone to the Petite LeMans they had a few NSX's, usually see them spread out around the track. They had one year they had a NSX corral, I didn't have my NSX then, but had a decent number of cars there.

HOTELS
-How close/far are you willing to be from the track? Check in Buford, GA by the Mall of GA used to see a group of Panoz owners stay around there for a couple of years. Its only 3 or 4 exits south 15 - 20 mins drive depending on traffic.
CAMPING
-Don't know how much Camping is but a lot of people do it near the back straight away and by turn 5. If Atlanta is going through a drought forget about having a fire. I have a friend camping out there this year see if I can get some info.

MISC
-a lot of good spots to watch from, you'll have fun.
Bring lots of bug spray...mosquitos suck at dusk.

Yea, I think it was 2007 that Acura was sponsoring all the car corrals, we have one at Road America. It was a great time, they had a nice tent, we got to meet Adrian Fernandez and Luis Diaz, and got a nice tour of the Lowes Acura team. Wow, how time has flown by....

Anyway, thanks for the info so far. I think I am leading more towards camping on the Friday night, and starting the drive back North on Sat. after the race, and just stay somewhere when we get too tired.

As we get closer to the race, we should all plan to meet up somewhere. I am hoping I'll be part of at least 3-4 NSX's coming down.

Definetly. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Maybe even driving into Road Atlanta together.

I live nearby, close enough that cars lapping at Road Atlanta can be heard from my back deck... have been to 8 of 11 Petit LeMans events. It's really a spectacle, one of America's greatest sports car races.

I wouldn't recommend camping, unless you are in a comfy motor coach. tent camping conditions are quite primitive, bathrooms and showers are scarce. It's so crowded (60K+ fans) that privacy is non-existent. When searching hotels, look in "Braselton", "Buford", "Flowery Branch", "Oakwood" are all communities near Road A, within 20 min. The absolute closest hotel to the track is the Best Western in Braselton, about 10 minutes.

There's always a smattering of NSX owners in attendance, but, since the community is somewhat less close-knit than years past, there's not really any organized corral or meeting place. Best to just try and hook up here on Prime prior to the event.

And, if it fits your schedule, Thursday's traditional night practice is one of the most awesome spectator opptys. There is no night practice on Friday. All of the Thurs/Fri practice/Qual/Support races are fabulous, and teams are very accessible to fans. On Saturday, it's usually very crowded and teams have all their barricades and screens up, since their focus turns to the race.

Best spectating is always on the hills looking toward the Esses, turn 2- turn 5, and also in the big braking zone at the end of back straight, Turn 10a-10b.

Beware the weather... in the rain, Road Atlanta is DISMAL. Infamous GA red clay covers everything, it would not even be possible to drive an NSX off of the pavement if it's wet... you can park in the grass, but you'll need a tow-truck to get out!

Last edited:
NSXnut where do you live at my best friend in Atlanta lives on the edve of Braselton and Winder near the Jeffery's by Thompson mill rd. He can hear the cars at the track from his house. I'll be staying in Sugarhill at the parents but will be up in that area quite a bit.

yes, I know that location, near Chateau Elan. It's south of the track. I'm about the same distance away, but east of the track, near I-85. The town of 'Hoschton', it's next to Braselton...

I live nearby, close enough that cars lapping at Road Atlanta can be heard from my back deck... have been to 8 of 11 Petit LeMans events. It's really a spectacle, one of America's greatest sports car races.

I wouldn't recommend camping, unless you are in a comfy motor coach. tent camping conditions are quite primitive, bathrooms and showers are scarce. It's so crowded (60K+ fans) that privacy is non-existent. When searching hotels, look in "Braselton", "Buford", "Flowery Branch", "Oakwood" are all communities near Road A, within 20 min. The absolute closest hotel to the track is the Best Western in Braselton, about 10 minutes.

There's always a smattering of NSX owners in attendance, but, since the community is somewhat less close-knit than years past, there's not really any organized corral or meeting place. Best to just try and hook up here on Prime prior to the event.

And, if it fits your schedule, Thursday's traditional night practice is one of the most awesome spectator opptys. There is no night practice on Friday. All of the Thurs/Fri practice/Qual/Support races are fabulous, and teams are very accessible to fans. On Saturday, it's usually very crowded and teams have all their barricades and screens up, since their focus turns to the race.

Best spectating is always on the hills looking toward the Esses, turn 2- turn 5, and also in the big braking zone at the end of back straight, Turn 10a-10b.

Beware the weather... in the rain, Road Atlanta is DISMAL. Infamous GA red clay covers everything, it would not even be possible to drive an NSX off of the pavement if it's wet... you can park in the grass, but you'll need a tow-truck to get out!

Hey thanks a bunch for the input. I think I could handle the camping situation, however, if it rains like it did last year or two years ago, that would be hell. I'll see what hotels are still available in the general vicinity. We are planning on leaving Milwaukee on the Thursday, not sure we would be able to make it to night practice, although I would love to. Hopefully we can use Prime to gather a nice group of NSXs at RA this year. Thanks again.

Kevin

Spectator Hill by turn 5 is usually crowded, but has the best veiw on the track. Turn 10a/10b is my 2nd choice. All around great track.

Back