• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road tar

On the way home from Atlanta I ran through construction(multiple times ). I have what looks like black road tar on my rear spats. Is there abything I can use to get the tar off with out hurting the paint?

WD-40, any of the the stronger citrus cleaners/degreasers, Bug & Tar remover.

RU kidding? WD40 is quite hard to remove. If you just wipe it off, it leaves a film. This by nature is in it's design. I use a sponge, dawn and then Dry and wax.
Perhaps a phone call to WD40's customer service line would clarify that for you.

If you don't then to each his own. Just don't give advice without having the facts.

Yeah, but you don't wash and wax afterwards!:eek::wink:

Whatever you use, I recommend following it with your favorite cleaning/polishing product (NOT just washing - I'm referring to products like Zymol HD-Cleanse or Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover) before re-waxing the area.

Wd40 worked I was hesitant to use it, but it worked like a champ. Washed it off, just need to wax it, butnits about time for a new coat of wax. Thanks guys.

For future reference we use a product called Prima Cosmonot. While it was intended to remove cosmoline from European vehicles, it works equally as well on tar as well and it's safe for clearcoats. But follow the same precautions as anything else...wash and wax after use.

Richard

Back