• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rod bearing size

Acura offers 5 different color\size of rod bearing. Red, Pink, Yellow, Brown, Black. But they dont tell you the thickness of these color coded sizes. Anyone knows or measured them ?

If its not where it needs to be, move up or down one color on both upper and lower shells or just one shell to get in between.

This is the darndest thing I have ever heard. I do not disagree, but it just seems wierd to me that the bearing halves can actually be different ID's(colors).

LarryB

This is the darndest thing I have ever heard. I do not disagree, but it just seems wierd to me that the bearing halves can actually be different ID's(colors).

LarryB

I also agree with you, that at face value you wouldn't think that would work - but it does.. although it only happens on rare occasions where you want the tolerances exactly at a certain number, the only way is to use half shells. You wouldn't use half shells where the colors are 2 steps apart of course.

The difference between each step in color is less than 0.001"

I also agree with you, that at face value you wouldn't think that would work - but it does.. although it only happens on rare occasions where you want the tolerances exactly at a certain number, the only way is to use half shells. You wouldn't use half shells where the colors are 2 steps apart of course.

The difference between each step in color is less than 0.001"

Not sure I understand what conditions would drive this decision. I can't see a journal being shaped such that a step in bearings would be an improvement.

FWIW, the difference between successive bearings can be as much as .00024". True, it's a very tiny "step", but the oil clearance could be as small as .0008. I've been told if you can feel the transition with your fingernail it's too much, though I'm not sure how small it can be and still be felt.

Last edited:
Back