• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rotary or Pistons?

Hello all!

I thought I would bring this up as a separate thread since the New and Prospective owners thread moves a little slow and didn't seem the place for such a debate.

Anyway. I recently moved to Japan. I currently reside in Kanagawa, in a place nestled between Yokohama and Tokyo the two biggest cities here. I am living in the happiest place I can think of to be a car enthusiast. Fuji Speedway, Tsukuba Circuit, Twin Ring Motegi, and countless mountain roads are all an hour or so away from where I reside, not to mention the most famous Japanese Tuners like Powerhouse Amuse, Spoon, and RE Amemiya are all equally accessible. I am even about 45 minutes away from the neighborhood of Shigehara Uehara, the chief engineer of the NSX and S2000.

I am currently in touch with the friendly folks over at MAC's Tokyo; a shop which specializes in NSX's. After talks with them its been decided that I will eventually be buying a car from them. Everything they sell is pristine like nothing I have ever seen in the United States. They always have something amazing gracing their showroom floor and one day we will be working out a deal on an NA1.

However since I am relatively new here I would like to have a cheaper and more readily attainable car in the mean time to build a credit score for my eventual finance of the NSX, as well as something to tide over my passion for Motorsport and driving in general. I could never forgive myself if after working so hard to come to such a place, that I get here and live so long without a car to enjoy.

That said I come to a choice that has been mulled over for more than a decade now

RX7 FD3S...

or

S2000?

Both are abundant here in Japan and both can be had for surprisingly cheap.

If I were to make the choice back in the United States it would be a no brainer... S2000 every time. And I did indeed own a 2007 AP2 S2000 for 2 years before coming here. I had to sell it for money to come here and it was one of the hardest things I ever did. That car gave me many great memories.

Here in Japan the choice is subsequently much harder. As I am sure many of you know the FD3S lived FAR beyond the 1993 - 1995 production run that the US had. FDs had 6 model types or generations before they were officially discontinued in 2002. Because I would be looking at either a Type VI FD3S (1999-2002) or a AP1 S2000 (1999-2003 in Japan) the argument over one car being older than the other is a mute one here. Also something that should be considered is the fact that Japanese owners on average are much more knowledgeable, and therefore care for their cars much more meticulously than American owners on average. When you realize just how much you have to go out of your way to be a car owner here, its easy to understand why most people who go through the effort to do so are genuinely enthusiastic about their cars and caring for them. This obviously carries over to the Rotary sports cars. Also, there are a healthy amount of Rotary mechanics and tuners in Japan to provide repairs and parts should something go wrong.

As per my personal experience I know the S2000 is pretty much as bulletproof as any other Honda. Diligent fluid changes as well as new tires were all it ever asked of me in two years and nearly 40,000 miles of ownership. So I have no fears of maintenance costs or reliability woes in the Honda camp. Also the fuel economy looks pretty slick compared to any rotary.

Both cars have an absolutely massive aftermarket here so I figure they are both on equal grounds when it comes to that.

All in all its a decision that I will be coming to sooner than later here. Of course I still have a lot to mull over while I await the green light from Auction houses and the dealers I am doing business with.

Its a debate that keeps me up at night and I thought that this forum would probably be the best place to get a real intelligible debate going on. I really didnt want to post on either the RX7 forums or the S2000 forums due to the over zealousness with which the respective owners will defend their investments. Plus as much as it saddens me to say, many opinions are just that and I dont see many comments coming from personal experience, or those that are not loaded with bias and assumptions.

This is, I must say, from my limited time and interactions here, one of the most friendly and knowledgeable car forums on the internet. Everyone here has a reputation for really knowing their stuff and being kind enough to share, and its a reputation well deserved. That said I would really value the opinions here more than most of what I have read before.

Please feel free to share your opinion. Anyone who has had experience with Rotaries, your input in particular is valued when it comes to the cost on particular parts etc. I have access to garages and workshops, but that does me no good if I cannot afford the parts etc!

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing your input!

:smile:

I had 2 rotaries that both took a dump on me... I finally swapped the Rx7 and put some pistons in it... Drove it for 3 years, and all I had to do was change the oil

You probably know this already but rotaries are hard to maintain and they aren't very reliable.

The S2000 is more durable from what I have read.

I have never owned either one, but honestly if you got the $$$ and the access to shops why not give the FD a try?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ2z42pWBbc

Check out the RX-7s in this youtube video and you might be convinced to get one.

Also, update us on your final decision. :)

I will just say this so it is on record.... A rotary RX-7 is a headache. I thought I would be the cool car you see in all the videos, and you are. For about 5,000 miles.

If it was a dedicated track car, I would lean towards the RX-7.

If you want something that you can hop-in and go for a spirited drive anytime you want, plus track days, S2000. Slap on the HyTech S2000 kit and you're good to go.

BTW, can you find me some (used) Toda NSX cams?

Also about the cams, I can see what I can do about tracking down parts once I am signing on the dotted line with the guys over at macs. their mechanic is a really cool guy and once I have more free time I am sure it will be spent around their garage. I am sure during that time he will know the places and people talk to about parts.

i would talk to the shops and discuss maintenance/ build costs. RE AMEMIYA seems like a no-brainer, but for some reason i am doubting they are cheap. a properly built and tuned and maintained rotary can last a long time... so i wouldn't worry about that. talk to RE AMEMIYA and see if you are still interested. they are great cars, but they do have quirks...

I believe I will be going to RE Amemiyas garage when the time comes for a test drive in an FD. they do sell cars, usually tuned by them. Good idea. it does take a while to reach them from where I live (2 and a half hours or so) so I have to wait till a long weekend comes up and I can take the entire day to really chat to them about it.

I will never own another turbo rotary... The older na ones seemed to run forever but as much as they like boost, they are way too temprimental to enjoy after you have gone around the block a few times. The only way I would touch a turbo rotary again is if I planned to leave it stock and got one that I knew was in great shape...

I believe I will be going to RE Amemiyas garage when the time comes for a test drive in an FD. they do sell cars, usually tuned by them. Good idea. it does take a while to reach them from where I live (2 and a half hours or so) so I have to wait till a long weekend comes up and I can take the entire day to really chat to them about it.

Their cars will be faster than a NA1 NSX for sure because of a turbo. But I laughed every single time my buddies RX7 blew up...plus I got more looks and reliability.

I got so fed up of his car not making the trip one time he called me as I saw him pull over, but I decided not to pick up the whole day.

BTW, the NSX'S in Japan are not cheap! good luck with your Journey.

The only way I would touch a turbo rotary again is if I planned to leave it stock and got one that I knew was in great shape...

This is more possible in Japan than anywhere else which is what makes the decision a hard one in the first place. I am sure many here have seen the video of a touge race between the Amuse S2000 and RE Amemiyas blue FD. despite the extreme body kit, that particular FD was not tuned all that much. there we're only modifications done to the cooling system for the sake of reliability and the turbo system tweeked to make a more effective power band.

Owned a RX-7 Turbo 1980. Car was a dream and I should have NEVER
sold it. Was race prepared by the Alison racing team Bill Hogarty and was one of the BEST cars I ever owned. I was considering purchasing one of the
RX-8 as a DD.

where the heck is batmans:confused::tongue:

Rotaries have more soul than just about any other ride. Be careful to ensure engine is a recent rebuikd, and done with reliability in mind by a skilled rotary expery and your smikes per gallon will be best in class!

where the heck is batmans:confused::tongue:

Legroom in the s2k seems like a joke compared to the fd. That floor rise is annoying.

s2k beak is worse than the fd. Blows for lowered cars.

Fd first turbo kicks in at 2k giving it more of a flat power band experience tantamount to a V8.

and when I was on the rx7 forum I can't recall hearing about fd blowing up in Japan since they have 100 octane at the pump.

The pump gas that w have here in the states is one of the largest reasons why these engines loose their apex seals. Of course no one here in the states are as bright as me and forget the octane factor and continue making fun of the fd. :tongue:

I knew it was only a matter of time before BATMANs would chime in...I think if someone posts the words "FD" "RX7" "rotory" and he isn't on the forums at that time he can sense it... :tongue:

Pasadena has a 76 station that offers 100 octane...:biggrin:

Legroom in the s2k seems like a joke compared to the fd. That floor rise is annoying.

s2k beak is worse than the fd. Blows for lowered cars.

Fd first turbo kicks in at 2k giving it more of a flat power band experience tantamount to a V8.

and when I was on the rx7 forum I can't recall hearing about fd blowing up in Japan since they have 100 octane at the pump.

The pump gas that w have here in the states is one of the largest reasons why these engines loose their apex seals. Of course no one here in the states are as bright as me and forget the octane factor and continue making fun of the fd. :tongue:

I like the comments! Interested to see how some prior rotary owners chime in with different stories to tell.

Keep it coming guys!

And port turbo wastgate. the design is an issue since an unported wastegate allows boost creep from the stock ten psi to 1 bar of boost. Almost a 5psi jump withput proper mods and tune has cost many engines.

If u do a straight piped exhaust sans boost controller it will spike the boat to 18psi and kaboom....

Last edited:
getting really specific into the types of builds and mods that ensure rotary health reminds me of all the great magazines and publications here in Japan for the few ( and it really isnt that many ) people here who are still into car culture.

Even though I cannot read Japanese ( you need to know about 2,000 Kanji to comprehend the average news paper ) These things are so well done with so many great pictures... though the cost of such activities is hard to stomach, because the real prize is an NSX eventually, it does make me excited about the prospects of rolling up my sleeves and getting to do some work on one of these cars.

But every time I look into my wallet I waiver a little more towards the Honda camp again cause as much as I love working with cars, the my old S2000 never asked anything more from me than fresh fluids and tires every so often...

Back