• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rough riding NSX.....

I finally got a chance to test-drive an NSX today (in 80 degree weather), and was disappointed!!

Why?...the road feel was so rough!!
So, I must explain further to see if it was just the tires or is it that the way all the time.

Details: This 91 NSX had been sitting for a few weeks, and all 4 Yokahoma tires had bald spots to the core, but even after 25 miles of highway driving (warm up the tires)....it seemed to have square tires. The ride was so rough, and the road bumps were even tough to take.

I have a Plymouth Prowler and consider it a rough ride because of the suspension and the run flat tires, but does the NSX ride rough to you folks or is it just because of bad conditon tires causing this rough road feel?

Do the newer NSX models have a smoother suspension ride? Maybe I should look at a newer car?

Appreciate your honest response.

Originally posted by Joe Rad:
I finally got a chance to test-drive an NSX today (in 80 degree weather), and was disappointed!!

Why?...the road feel was so rough!!
So, I must explain further to see if it was just the tires or is it that the way all the time.

Details: This 91 NSX had been sitting for a few weeks, and all 4 Yokahoma tires had bald spots to the core, but even after 25 miles of highway driving (warm up the tires)....it seemed to have square tires. The ride was so rough, and the road bumps were even tough to take.

I have a Plymouth Prowler and consider it a rough ride because of the suspension and the run flat tires, but does the NSX ride rough to you folks or is it just because of bad conditon tires causing this rough road feel?

Do the newer NSX models have a smoother suspension ride? Maybe I should look at a newer car?

Appreciate your honest response.

My 97 NSX rides like an fine tuned Honda. NO vibrations, no feeling of sqare tires. Try driving another NSX to compare. Car should be smooth.

Stan

I have test driven 3 NSX's and never found the ride to be rough. I found it actually a little better than my civic Si.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

the road feel was so rough!!

Can you elaborate on this a little? Do you mean the *ride* was harsh? Was the car bouncing on bumps (worn shocks) A little more detail examples would help here.

But if the NSX you looked at is pristine and has a complete history, then it may just be a user expectation. If so, then a NSX may not be the best choice. If your looking for a 'plush', 'soft' ride, take a look at a Lexus or Cadillac.
smile.gif

Regards,

-Nader

Was told a 95 or newer NSX has a smoother ride...true?

Understand there is a "road feel" but the car seemed to bounce a lot. Felt as if the car had flat spots on the tires that just never cleared up.

I will drive another NSX to compare the rides. Anyone in Orlando, FL that has an NSX willing to let me test-drive (under 60mph)?

Originally posted by Joe Rad:
Was told a 95 or newer NSX has a smoother ride...true?

Understand there is a "road feel" but the car seemed to bounce a lot. Felt as if the car had flat spots on the tires that just never cleared up.

I will drive another NSX to compare the rides. Anyone in Orlando, FL that has an NSX willing to let me test-drive (under 60mph)?

Do you know if the suspension is stock? Stiff aftermarket anti-sway bars, shocks and/or springs can make things harsh.

I believe the car was stock.
I must say...I loved the steering though. I love the handling & cornering of the NSX.

I believe I just need to find a newer model with more upgrades for my taste.

Damn, I just can't get the NSX off my mind. I just got to get one!!!

The nsx is pretty rough if you compare it with other cars. I use an Acura RL as a daily commuter and switching to my NSX is night and day.

The ride is harsh except only smooth roads and the interior is loud. I first time I drove it, I was disappointed because it felt like I was driving a car with no shocks. I just wasn't use to it.

The second time it felt better. Now I find the car comfortable and don't notice the loud interior anymore. Now I try to drive the car as often as possible on the weekends.

For what its worth, the Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 are even louder inside (R&T measured decibel numbers against a Z06) and probably just as harsh. Any NSX/Vetter owners out there to confirm this?

Thanks Wctsao!

I believe I could get used to the stiff ride, it just took me by complete surprise on the test drive...but then again the NSX is a street legal race car!

The only other car I know that has such a stiff ride is the prowler.

Thanks for the feeback everyone!

Originally posted by wctsao:

For what its worth, the Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 are even louder inside (R&T measured decibel numbers against a Z06) and probably just as harsh. Any NSX/Vetter owners out there to confirm this?

[/B]

I don't know about the 996 cabs but the 996 coupe is not as loud as the NSX. Porsche upgraded the sound insulation in 01, I think. Anyway, it's not necessarily a good or a bad thing but IMHO, the NSX has more cabin noise.

While on this subject, I want to ask if anyone experiences a "resistance" in the drive train as you coast to a stop out-of-gear. I feel like there is a slight grinding as I come to a stop. I feel it at less than 5 mph. I thought it was the tires (Bridgestone OEM).

Anyone?

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black, #264

You said the car was sitting for a while how long is a while? I have heard of cars that sit in one place for a long time that the tire end up with flat spots in them. It takes a while for the flatness to go away. I would drive it longer and see if it goes away.

I don't know if everyone missed this, but the first post seemed to indicate that the car had four fully worn tires (bald).

I think its pretty clear that totally worn out tires will effect the way the car rides. I'm surprised that wouldn't just be a complete no brainer. I would refuse to test drive a car with bald tires because it would be too difficult to judge the cars real characteristics.

Comparing the Vette (Z51) to the NSX, I'd say that the NSX is quieter (suspension and cabin) and feels softer (closer to a normal car). Stability in the corners feels about equal between the NSX and the Z51 enabled Vette. The Z06 is different. It feels noticeably harsher and is noticeably stiffer; more like an aftermarket setup.

The NSX should feel no more "rough" over bumps than any other sports car and should *not* be bouncy. For credentials, take a look at where I am posting from... I know my rough road handling
wink.gif

I have a '95, and drove earlier models when I was shopping. I think the NSX has one of the best rides for a "sports car" of any of the models I drove (M3, Audi TT, Vette, etc.) and with the variable rate springs, I think it is as comfortable as 60-70% of the cars out there. Check to see if it has been lowered, or if the shocks have every been changed, and what kind of tires, which make a huge difference in ride comfort.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

TABASCO -

I noticed the same thing in my 2000 and my 2001, in the last few miles per hour just before a stop at a traffic light. I think that its the aggressive toe alignment, plus the irregular tire block wear that arises after the tires have a couple of thousand miles on them.

Originally posted by DeHaldaswerth:
TABASCO -

I noticed the same thing in my 2000 and my 2001, in the last few miles per hour just before a stop at a traffic light. I think that its the aggressive toe alignment, plus the irregular tire block wear that arises after the tires have a couple of thousand miles on them.

Thanks DeHaldaswerth

It has always bothered me, but I was sure there was a good explanation. This car has some quirks, not that other sports cars I have owned didn't. I love the sounds and feeling when you are doing about 30 in 4th gear and you pull it down to 2nd at high revs, hit 8000 and pop it to 3rd. What a rush.

Nothing else like it.

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black, #264

Yo Joe Rad:

I bought my 95 with 4,100 original miles on the car and the original Yoko tires that were nearly worn out (in the rear). The ride was disturbingly harsh and loud!! I was very concerned.

However, at 5,000 miles I repaced the OEM Yokos with 4 new Dunlop SP9000s, and there was a GIANT difference: the ride was absolutely smooth and much, much, much quieter!!!! The new tires made a big difference. THus, IMO the tires alone could be your culprit, even with the OEM suspension.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Back