• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Running Dual LCDs w/DVI - Which Video Card?

Hey W,

If you want a couple more NEC 22" screens, let me know. :) I guess I'm being optimistic that the new LCDs won't make me miss them.

I didnt realize that so many people run dual LCD's? I have had them for a while and thought I was pretty special. ;) I have no idea what equipment I am running though, I just asked the guy that does my computers for dual screens and thats what I got.

SNDSOUL said:
I didnt realize that so many people run dual LCD's? I have had them for a while and thought I was pretty special. ;) I have no idea what equipment I am running though, I just asked the guy that does my computers for dual screens and thats what I got.

Dual monitors is pretty common nowadays; most places I've worked at, and most other computer/techies I know run dual head at home. I tried Matrox's triple head for awhile, but with three of the 22" NEC monitors (which have approximately 1.25" bezels, making for large gaps) it just wasn't practical - you couldn't see the left or right edges of your desktop without moving your head; misses the point entirely, for me at least.

I'm hoping that the LCDs, with their smaller bezels, will work better in multihead.

Don't worry, SNDSOUL, you're still special to us! :D

burbel said:
Hey W,

If you want a couple more NEC 22" screens, let me know. :) I guess I'm being optimistic that the new LCDs won't make me miss them.

Serious? Which ones? If you don't do any serious gaming, you won't miss the old CRT's one bit. I got an FE2111 coming my way this week. BTW, I was very tempted to buy two FP2001's since Dell had that great sale but I'll wait for faster LCD response times in larger screens. I also want a bigger screen (30+) for under a fortune and that's just not going to happen in the CRT market.

SNDSOUL said:
I didnt realize that so many people run dual LCD's? I have had them for a while and thought I was pretty special. ;)

<B>SNDSOUL</B>, you're special... just like everyone else. :D

You guys should try a 22" CRT for games... *drool*... and I used to be a strong dual-monitor advocate. Bigger is better.

If you don't do any serious gaming, you won't miss the old CRT's one bit.

Actually, people in high end print/layout also continue to use CRT's because of the colour/gamma limitations on LCD's. But yeah, for most people, LCD's provide a MUCH better experience.

Arshad said:

Actually, people in high end print/layout also continue to use CRT's because of the colour/gamma limitations on LCD's. But yeah, for most people, LCD's provide a MUCH better experience.

...you forgot us video-editing guys! :( ;)

One thing that I think seriously sucks for LCD's is that games only look awesome in their native resolution. Most 17" LCDs 1t 1024x768 and under look dreadful. And most people dont have $$$ video cards to support 1280x1024.... maybe it's time ATi did a special discount for prime members. :p :D
Games look AWESOME on a CRT at 1600x1200 or <B>2048x1536</B>!!! :eek: Plus CRT's double as heaters. :D

Yeah running an LCD at non-native resolution is usually pretty nasty. For video editing, I don't think a CRT is as important as for the print guys where colour precision is critical. I think most editors generally have some type of NTSC device connected since they need to see how it will look on a TV. Of course film editing is a completely different ballgame. Let me tell you though, setting up FinalCutPro on twin 30" CinemaHD's is quite a sight to behold! :D At one time one of the guys at work also had two of those IBM 3840 wide $30,000 panels side by side as well. That was completely insane! Not as big as the Apple panels, but the resolution on those things is mind boggling! (As is the price tag!)

Arshad said:

Yeah, I know. My comments were directed towards the general user which includes many newbie gamers. More knowlegeable people already know what best suits their needs, at least most do.

BTW, another advantage of a big CRT over a big LCD is that by default the CRT's size makes it an anti-theft deterrent but the LCD's the opposite. ;)

I got an exceptional deal on the Dell 2005FPW LCD (~$549 a piece), and picked up two recently. This is their 20" widescreen LCD w/ 12ms refresh and 600:1 contrast. (1680 x 1050 native) Very impressive specs for a Dell/no-name brand LCD. Does anyone know who actually makes these for Dell? The video card I ended up going for is the NV GeForce 6800 Ultra Extreme. (on backorder) I don't play games, but this was about the only non FireGL card that had dual DVI out w/ a gaming chipset.

duece.jpg

True, time to upgrade that keyboard. And buy a mouse -- they were invented 25 years ago. Although with that keyboard, I bet you know every Windows shortcut combo there is. :D

WindowsKey+D :D

hey true,
I picked up a 2005FPW too. Have you had any problems with back light bleeding on your screens? Mine seems to have this issue and after doing some reseach online it seems many others also have the issue. U can tell by bringing up an all black screen (switch to an input that u don't have anything plugged in to) and look to see if the black is uniform. On many of the screens the corners look more like a grayish color. Awesome screen for an awesome price otherwise.

The LCD panel is made by LG/Philips, same as the 2001FP make, but the actual monitor maker is BenQ i think. This is the same panel used in the 20" Apple widescreens that cost about $1400. hmmmm

Back