• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Running for my ride

I have been thoroughly enjoying reading this forum, the detailed and honest information from the posters here is really outstanding and helpful to hopeful future owners like myself. I want to thank all the fine members of this community for spending your time providing such a wonderful resource. In the spirit of joining in, I figure I should make a quick introduction about what brought me to the site.

Ever since college I have thought about owning a NSX. My first car out of college was a 1992 Honda Prelude (to the protest of my father who thought I should get something more "practical") and I simply loved how that car handled the road. The NSX of course was quite out of my price range, but I did spend a good chunk of time daydreaming about it.

In addition to dreaming about NSXs in my college days, I was also in a bit better shape. Too many hours sitting behind a desk is starting to take a toll on my health and have also decided to change that.

So I combined the two goals and made a bargain with myself. If I could train for and complete a marathon, I would through practicality aside and park a NSX in my driveway. I have been making good progress for the past months and am now in mid-training for a half marathon in October. I have modest goals - targeting around 10:30-11 minute miles, but I do intend to finish the whole race.

While I am out there pounding the pavement, I keep that vision of a shiny NSX in my mind and keep grinding along!

Allow me to be the first to say, Welcome to Prime!

As one of our member's signature suggests, "Buy now, cry tomorrow". Life is just too short to be sensible about everything, especially when it comes to something you've always dreamed of and capable of achieving.

Chances are that once you finally own one, you'll hit on your head blaming yourself of not getting one sooner as you could have enjoyed the NSX much earlier.

As for myself, I was quite the oppoiste as I slacked off throughout college and only started to get back in shape when I had my first job.

Good luck on both on your goals, they don't have to be achieved at the same time, you know. :wink:

Money will eventually find its way into your pocket, don't worry about it too much now. Time is something you can't take back, live your life to the fullest, buddy!!

Damn, I sound like the Devil. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Damn, I sound like the Devil. :biggrin:
Yes, I have been hearing your voice as you sit on my shoulder a lot since finding this forum. While it is a great resource, it has also fueled quite a bit of "just buy it now" urges :)

In a sense though, I am already seizing the moment with my current plan as I had been putting off owning a nice car until we moved out of the city so that there would be nice country roads to enjoy it on. Or when we got a house with a 2 car garage, or maybe just expanded our current driveway, or.... etc, etc. I suddenly realized that time wasn't standing still and now is the time to do the things that I want and can do.

Since I made the deal though, I am going to stick with it and see it to completion despite temptations. The March 2012 VA Beach marathon is my projected date and that isn't too far off. Gives me time to sell my current car and learn a bit more to become an educated consumer.

yes,prime is a great resource,a lot of nice and knowledgeable people on here,who are generous with their time and advice.i wish i'd read it a lot more before i got my nsx,but i've made up for it by being on here about 5-10 times a day since 2008,and i have a nice body of knowledge about the car now.but,there's always more to learn,which i enjoy.

Welcome! I like the goal. GL with your running. I'm planning on doing a Marathon this Feb, my first!

"Half" way done with the goal and its going well so far. I finished a Half-Marathon on Sunday and it went great, I think the training schedule I followed really made all the difference. There wasn't a moment during the run when I felt like quitting, was at 100% the entire time and hit that finish line with a smile on my face. Kept running the entire time and didn't even think about needing to stop and walk a bit, I was there and ready to roll!

Next up is my marathon training schedule, but I am feeling very good about accomplishing this goal with flying colors.

13.1 miles down, 26.2 miles to go!

About to wrap this saga up this weekend with the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon. Been running around 20-30 miles a week steadily and a 10 mile run is pretty much effortless at my "cruisin" pace of 10:30-11 min, so I feel confident that I will finish the 26 miles and enjoy a tasty beer at the finish line.

My pants now fit a little looser and more importantly I simply feel better now that I am on an exercise routine. You will have to ask me after the race is done as to whether I will do a marathon again, but I will be happily running 5ks, 10 milers and the occasional 1/2 marathon for sure. I have actually already committed to joining a friend for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler and we have talked about seeing just how fast we can bang out a 5k (feels like a sprint to me now :p )

Even though I tasted the fruits of my labor a little early and picked up the NSX in mid-January, having the car as a goal got me through the more important year and a half build up to this weekend. That and my wife has threatened to take away the keys if I wimp out for some reason (and I believe her! :eek: )

photojan3144014pm.jpg

Last edited:
I've been running since I was 16 (44 now) and did not run a marathon until I was in my upper 30's. I had no game plan other than to go as fast as I could for as long as I could. I did not have a good base and ran well for the first half. The second half was a different story all together. I joke that a lion could have been chasing me and I would not have been able to run any faster. I guess my point is don't get caught up in the hype (and there will be hype) at the start and go out too fast. Stick to your game plan and have a good day. DON'T TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!!! Most important. New shoes, new gel, new jelly energy beans, shorts,socks.....Stick to what's been working for you on your long runs.

Good luck and make sure you let us know how you did.

I've run two more marathons since that first one (three total). Did much better on the second and was sick on the third. Does that mean that I can have three NSX's:biggrin:

I will be 38 this year and likewise ran a lot when I was younger, so it sounds a like a relatively similar story. The downside to having a history of running is that I feel even lousier about how slow I run now a days :p I have been using that Nike+ gizmo while training - it is very slick. You have a little thingy that goes in your shoe that talks to a dongle you plug in to your ipod. Then anytime along the run, you can press the center button of the ipod and a lovely voice comes out and tells you how far you have run, how long it has been and most importantly your pace. Its been a great way for me to "chill out" in the early bits of the run and let me run my own race.

I would highly recommend it to any other older (relatively) runner who is looking to start back up. If you are in your twenties, no need - you can do pretty much whatever you want still :)

I've run two more marathons since that first one (three total). Did much better on the second and was sick on the third. Does that mean that I can have three NSX's:biggrin:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! :tongue:

Success! I have to say that 26.2 miles is a really long way to run. I am glad that I did this though, it makes 1/2 marathons and 10 milers seem much easier. I ran with some wonderful people and the volunteers and supporters who came out were awesome.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MarathonSuccess.jpg
    MarathonSuccess.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 108
Success! I have to say that 26.2 miles is a really long way to run. I am glad that I did this though, it makes 1/2 marathons and 10 milers seem much easier. I ran with some wonderful people and the volunteers and supporters who came out were awesome.

attachment.php

Good man and definitely a man of his words. Not many people keep their promises nowadays especially when rewards were taken way before hand. Utmost respect here.

I really feel proud of you and you should feel proud of yourself as well, hell I'm sure even your NSX feels proud to have an Owner like you.

Not that it matters to any of you, I've been very quiet lately as I was down to 5 posts (now 4 of course) till my 1K mark as I really want that one post to be remarkable (and free to trash talk again from there onwards, lol). Evidently, I have left myself a few quotas to speak in case something special comes up and this is one of them.

Congrats!!!

Back