• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2k rack on NA1

I figure I start this thread because if I don’t I’ll not get around to do this. Let me start that there is nothing wrong with manual steering rack its works well but EPS is friendlier to older guys like me. If you ask me 18 years ago I would laugh at it but as I got older I sway more towards the EPS. I wanted to upgrade but the oem nsx EPS is overpriced and as it was top of the line back in the day, the new designs in other models are simpler more stable and do the job much better for much less. Tires/wheels, size of steering wheel and road will all impact how much force you need to turn it. In my setup I need 14lb to turn my steering wheel. S2000 should be around 7lb.

Did some research and S2000 steering rack sounds like perfect fit as honda designers had performance in mind when working on it. Insight or accord might work but I don’t think it will have same feedback and TL went can bus so would need bcm to get it working. S2000 speaks in simplicity, it only needs rpm and vehicle speed signal. It does not need steering angle from slip ring or vss signal before ecu. It only has two inputs, there is one output that I don’t think will be needed but I might connect it to a/c, this is for idle speed to raise rpm’s while not moving.

EPS control module can be removed from any S2000, even right hand, they are all the same range $80-300. The steering racks are easily available and range $200-400. Connector pig tails usually are $5-15 each and need 5 of them. The rack itself will need fabrication to make it fit, not too much space under those coolant hoses. If it all works it would be awesome, if not it will make a cool looking night light post, lol.

Different s2000 steering racks available:
  • JDM Type V Japan included variable gear ratio steering (VGS), a steering system that continuously changes steering ratio based upon vehicle speed and steering angle to provide improved handling. The lock-to-lock steering ratio was reduced to 1.4-wheel turns. It requires VGS computer/module in addition etc..
  • 2000-2002 AP1 Steering ratio 13.8:1 lock-to-lock 2.4-wheel turns
  • 2004-2009 AP2 Steering ratio 14.9:1 lock-to-lock 2.6-wheel turns (system features an optimized steer response gain, while the software was updated to improve steering linearity and agility)
  • 2008-2009 CR Steering ratio 13.8:1 lock-to-lock 2.4-wheel turns

This is def not for everyone and I’m just sharing my progress, but I like to tinker with cars so it's up my alley. I don’t think anyone done this on nsx yet. It’s been done on ITR and legend, but not nsx. I’m going with AP2, because I got it the cheapest around me. But from what I hear from s2000 guys ap1 or CR is better.

Looking at this should not be that bad to fabricate. Instead of making adapter brackets maybe I’ll try to fabricate new support beam that s2000 steering rack will just bolt on to it, and be fully reversible. The s2000 rack mounts and steering shaft have different angles then nsx so it will take me few attempts to get it right I’m sure. Steering joint is also thicker and have more teeth on it, so it will need steering join from s2000 mated to nsx one.
bf99707ac256c02c3df48b419a5a4449.jpg

a411b59783746db38b42e1b309b922c1.jpg

7fcb8c02e6d2d9a99240f5d7b4dcbac4.jpg

Last edited:
Can you mount the S2000 rack with the rack end Joints (inboard tie rod joints) in the same vertical and horizontal plane as the original rack and is the length of the S2000 rack (between inboard rod end to inboard rod end) the same as the NSX rack? If the inboard tie rod ends with the S2000 rack don't end up in exactly the same location as they are with the NSX rack, the car will steer; but, it will have some altered dynamic steering effects (bump and or roll steer for two).

Can you mount the S2000 rack with the rack end Joints (inboard tie rod joints) in the same vertical and horizontal plane as the original rack and is the length of the S2000 rack (between inboard rod end to inboard rod end) the same as the NSX rack? If the inboard tie rod ends with the S2000 rack don't end up in exactly the same location as they are with the NSX rack, the car will steer; but, it will have some altered dynamic steering effects (bump and or roll steer for two).

Thx, for help on the diagrams the other day:) It's very close I have everything disassembled now but will definitely pay close attention to that. I'm not there yet but it might need some alteration. I'll have to check the steering wheel is straight and do wheel alignment after all is done. I have the support beam out to allow adjustment in all directions. When I get there need to test fit with car on the ground and measure lock to lock clearances too. Fabricating support beam gives the freedom of adjustment and making this right. Giving myself 2-3 months to finish this project.

If you have it all apart like that, measuring bump steer while cycling the car through the range of movement is pretty easy. You can get a piece of paper and have it draw the arcs on the ground. You can keep trying the different positions to see which one gives you the best bump steer and roll steer arc.

Of course having it match the factory positions makes it easy, but it can get really close by playing with the placement as well, but the tie rod to tie rod distance has to be at least close.

Zanardi supposedly had closer ratio steering but for the rest of us it's about 3.07-wheel turns from lock to lock.

I have heard this as well but when I did more research I thought I found out that actually the Zanardi rack is just the non-power rack from the 91-94 but in the NA2. It could have been wrong though.

I have all the parts to convert my manual into an EPS but all NSX equipment. I sidelined the project when I hit a wall trying to find pigtails. I really should dust it off again. Like you said... The wiring doesn't seem that bad.

Hope you get this together!

I've had 2 S2000s and for my driving style the rack is actually too fast for me.

Yea, this is not for everyone for sure as there is nothing wrong with the manual rack, it works very well. For me it was interesting project to do and budget friendly. I’m mainly doing this to have lighter steer at slow speeds. The faster ratio is just added bonus that I initially did not read in to it too much.

It will take few prototypes to get it right but I started with wood as it’s easy to trim and recut then I’ll build it out of aluminum at the end.

3030028903f653f4b613f20ac871809a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some good and bad news. Good news is the steering join that connects steering column and rack fits great from s2000. S2000 rack has thicker rod and has more teeth but on the other side it matches nsx steering column. So it’s great I don’t need a custom join. I bought steering column from s2000 anticipating issues but it all worked.

Bad news is that coolant hoses are in a way of the s2000 rack mount. So either need to run coolant hose around rack or cut the oem mount off. It would be a mess to drain coolant and create a work around it so I chooses to cut off the oem mounts. Now it has soo much room I can align it any way I want. Just need to create custom mounts.

Mounts are off :)
f696e4d631d78fbbcfbcec55e569fd97.jpg

a3c1101f387a9d4cb1b20ae12c32646c.jpg

Here is s2000 join o nsx steering column. Ignore my clutch pedal ;) when I had heavy clutch I made it lighter by adjusting the clutch pedal angle ;)
febafee9f6f8bb832af75a33fb70f68a.jpg

Wow this is turning out great, it seems. Excuse my ignorance, but after this bolted in, is there really that much more involved to get it working...or was that the biggest hurdle?

That’s is pretty much it just get it installed physically. The wiring is very simple. Here is diagram that I have. After it’s installed and wired it needs to learn itself again. Simple learn procedure to turn wheel 45deg left/right with tester wire connected. I’m busy this week so won’t have too much progress. Hoping to work on mounts next week. It should all work in theory at list haha.

99fbc51b8700a185f087a9968be7b314.jpg

is the S2K EPS speed sensitive also? If so, you could also modify the VSS signal to manual control the electric assist.

From what I research it's speed sensitive. At higher mph when you move the steering wheel the system slows it down. Right, for now I just want to get that thing mounted then will play around with it. I wish there would be different modes to select from like on vw's using vcds where you can change it on demand from soft to hard, but at this point I'll be just happy with lighter steering response at slow speeds:)

Very nice so far. I was wondering if the newer civic si rack or s2000 rack would work in the NSX. Cool to see more people thinking outside of the box. Real world experience beats on paper knowledge every time so I hope it feels and works great once completed.

Thanks guys! So far I did not hit any major fitment issues but the list is growing of things to address when I get farther with this. I’m not in any rush so just taking my time:)

Here is rough draft of the new steering rack beam, it just need bottom brace to align.
6c145390f6330b1a3afd5c93830ebda1.jpg

Thanks guys! So far I did not hit any major fitment issues but the list is growing of things to address when I get farther with this. I’m not in any rush so just taking my time:)Here is rough draft of the new steering rack beam, it just need bottom brace to align.
awesome work so far, waiting on updates :)

Thanks guys! So far I did not hit any major fitment issues but the list is growing of things to address when I get farther with this. I’m not in any rush so just taking my time:)Here is rough draft of the new steering rack beam, it just need bottom brace to align.
This is so AMAZING! since my EPS rack is shut... keep it up!

Thanks. It’s moving along but we had few couple of snow storms that setback my work so not much update.

I cutout the beam out of plastic to get more hands on with measurements and alignment but did not work on it too much.
4ad4447cde0c24761e8d8c8f01ff3a90.jpg
e5a80d8a1581628d8c37f252da84388a.jpg

Back