• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SALVAGE TITLE Question

i wouldnt... Once a car is wrecked the metal obviously bends. No matter how you straighten the frame, the metal will still have the memory of the creases. It can never be as structurally sound as it once was. Due to these creases being 'memorized' by the metal if anything happens to the car in terms of an accident again, the metal is going to bend in the exact same spots because that is where it is weakest. And guess what? The metal is going to give a lot faster into these positions with VERY little energy absorbtion. And thats assuming the car was fixed correctly! Aluminum cars are a bitch to get repaired (ive had a hell of a time trying to find a body shop to take my moms audi A8 into) If the frame isnt straight the car could drive horribly, there could be glass in the climate system, amongst a slew of other problems. So i would say do not buy a car with a salvage title.

Unless you *really* know cars and have the equipment and experience to check out a salvage title vehicle I would recommend you avoid them... particularly with high-end cars which can be very expensive to repair if you later discover hidden problems.

A salvage title can mean many things. If a car is stolen and some parts are stripped, the car can be tagged a salvage. If another car is totalled out by an insurance company due to an accident, it is also tagged with a salvage title. Then there are re-buildable titles. If the car is within specs of the factory, and hasn't had any frame damage, then maybe it's a good buy. But remember, the car will never be worth even wholesale value. Just keep that in mind if you plan on selling the car in the future.

dh,
Run FAST in the OPPOSITE direction. Lud, make sure to add these photos to the "CRASH" page.
smile.gif

In addition to the comments offered by Dr.Lane, there are a few additional warnings I would like to offer here. A "salvage" title can also occur when a car is totaled for OTHER reasons than accident. Fire, Flood and other "Acts of God" can qualify these cars as a total loss and end up as salvage. This was really bad for the East Coast during hurricane Hugo and others. It is a documented fact that cars that spent 3-4 weeks or more under water up to their door sills or roof lines are now back on the street after a little R&R. These were profiled on Dateline NBC and are a BAD thing. These cars are a serious problem. The only problem is, you may never know they were once salvage. Body looks good. Cleaned up good, but oh man, that engine and drivetrain should have enough gold fish and sand in it to let you pass on a trip to the beach.

The real problem is that not only are these cars an accident waiting to happen, but that many dealers are doing what is called "Title Laundering" by taking the title to nearby states that have no designation for salvage on the title or use a code and then take it back the the original state that doesn't understand the codes and get a clean title. There are litterally thousands of cars our there that should still be salvage that are out there on the road waiting to kill someone or break down... and the title doesn't say "SALVAGE" anywhere and it has no salvage "HISTORY" because it has been laundered.

The other important point was made by GBM. The memory metal factor and metal fatigue is really a serious issue. Ideally, you should replace ALL damaged panels with new one. In aluminium, it is hard to work out the kinks well enough to not be a risk later on.

My question is "WHY SALVAGE". If you think you are going to "SAVE MONEY", then you are just kidding yourself. These cars always cost more money in the long run, and even in the short run. There are enough really good cars available at reasonable prices below $28K-$32K that you should be able to find a good example that will be more reliable and more serviceable for you in the long run.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

I am currently building a salvaged NSX, I bought mine as a theft recovery, with very light damage on the front right side, I was able to drive it home. The pictures show that car to be bent pretty bad, never will be right again, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it, I have a black car with tan interior which I would love to change to black if you could pick the car up for say $2,500.00 I would buy it 'cause it has the parts I need.
wink.gif

Basically what I'm saying is that someone like me could really use that car, for the right money that is.

Try to get the serial number and post it as a salvaged car.

Back