• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Schedule of Upcoming Midwest NSX Club Events

Here are the plans for Midwest NSX Club meetings and events for the next several months. Please note that we are going to change the site of our monthly meetings, but not until the end of the summer, as noted below.

Monday, May 28 - CGI Motorsports track event at GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, Michigan. Many of your fellow NSX Club members will be there. Come join us, either to drive or just to watch! Details are at http://www.cgimotorsports.com/drivingschedule.html

Wednesday, June 6 - NSX Club meeting at Pauly Acura in Highland Park, Illinois. Business meeting (translation: socializing) at the dealership at 6:30, to be followed by dinner at a local restaurant.

Saturday, June 16 - Big NSX Club dinner hosting out-of-town NSX celebrities Lud "NSXprime/FAQ" and Matt "Green Tea" Falk. Dinner will take place at 6:30 pm at the Black Ram in Des Plaines, Illinois, with the reservation under "NSX Club". Contact Ken Sax at [email protected] if you plan to attend, so that he can adjust the reservation for the right number of people. Directions are on the restaurant's website at http://www.blackram.com/map.htm (Note: Previous plans for a club golf event have been cancelled due to lack of response.)

July - No meetings planned.

Wednesday, August 1 - CANCELLED

Saturday, September 15 - Beginning in September (tentative, pending completion of their new facilities) and continuing in November, the NSX Club will hold monthly meetings at a new time and place. The meetings will be held the third Saturday afternoon of each month at the brand-new facilities of McGrath Acura of Westmont (Illinois). Additional details to be available prior to the first meeting.

Wednesday through Sunday, October 17-21 - NSXPO 2001 in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin! This is the national event of the NSX Club of America and over 100 NSX's are expected. Event plans begin with a reception Wednesday evening at the headquarters of the RealTime Racing team, where Peter "P.D." Cunningham will be our host, and continue with seminars, drives, and tours, culiminating in a two-day drivers school on the track at Road America on Saturday and Sunday. Information and registration forms will be mailed to all NSX Club members by early September and will also be available on the club's website ( http://www.nsxca.org ) at that time.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 July 2001).]

On the Black Ram dinner, I'm buying for Matt Falk. He was THE most generous inspector of my baby prior to my flying down to get her!
Go Ahead and starve yourself Matt!!!

Steve

Hey Lud,
Is there a reason that this topic show as new content every day? Even though there is none?

Thanks, Steve

Yes - because there IS new content. When other posts were updated, I added a reply to move this topic to the top ("ttt") of the list of topics, since it has the schedule for the next several months.

ttt
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Monday, May 28 - CGI Motorsports track event at GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, Michigan. Many of your fellow NSX Club members will be there. Come join us, either to drive or just to watch! Details are at http://www.cgimotorsports.com/drivingschedule.html

Encore on Monday, 02-JULY at Gingerman. Come out for more fun!!

tee-hee
biggrin.gif

------------------
Manuel C
93 NSX S/B #394
93 300CE
93 NH750

When are you guys going to switch the general meeting to the weekend? I wish I could have made it on wednesday. How was the turn out?

see above - I think we start with the Saturday schedule in September.

Turnout on the Wednesdays has been dropping the last few times I've attended, although this is partly due to focus on NSXPO 2001 event planning.

In meantime, there are several social/track/other events planned. I think the July Gingerman event (CGI Motorsports) will have a lot of NSXs. Come out and meet the gang!

------------------
Manuel C
93 NSX S/B #394
93 300CE
93 NH750

How much is the CGI event? I would like to participate in track events soon or later but I wonder if I should get used to the car a little more before I do anything so drastic...

Actually, the turnout on Wednesday was okay - five of us. Not great, but not as low as a couple of previous meetings. And those who attended had a great time - in fact, we had a terrific dinner at Shaw's, and were having so much fun that we stayed late and they locked the doors behind us as we left. Good times.

As Manuel noted, we ARE going to try switching our meetings to weekends, and will make the change coincide with our move to the new facilities in Westmont, when they open.

We're not promoting the July CGI event for NSX's like we did on Memorial Day, but there are usually a few of them at any of the CGI events.

Come to dinner on Saturday, and meet Lud!

Are you guys attending the events on 23rd or in August?

Also, have you guys ever participated in North Suburban Sports Car Club event? They have autocross at local race tracks and seems very reasonable for the price.
http://www.nsscc.com/

Now if I can ever get time off during the weekend and make it to an event..
mad.gif

Are you guys attending the events on 23rd or in August?

Not me.

Also, have you guys ever participated in North Suburban Sports Car Club event? They have autocross at local race tracks and seems very reasonable for the price.

Autocross is a much less expensive activity. However, it's really very different from driving on a road course. You have a limited amount of time (typically a couple of minutes), the car has hardly a chance to warm up, the speeds are much lower, there are no hills or elevation changes, and most of the events are competitive, timed events. It's something that you can acquire skill at, to be sure, and it can be fun. The reason it's way less expensive is that it costs hundreds of dollars (or free) to rent a parking lot, and thousands of dollars to rent a racetrack.

When I tried autocrossing, my big objection was that you have to stand around all day - often in the hot sun, often working corners - in order to get maybe 3-6 runs at the course, so it takes a day but your total track time is about ten minutes. At most track events (e.g. BMW CCA) you get 80-100 minutes of track time during the day, and at CGI events, you get as much as you can handle, up to 240 minutes (but nobody uses all of it).

I think it's one of those things where "you get what you pay for"...

Actually, Ken, if you go to the NSSCA website,you'll find that their description of autocross is actually more in the line of open track time trial event. They have events at Gingerman/Blackhawk(?) etc.. Basically road courses, and I don't think they put down cones to slow down either. I think it's like $80-90 per day.

My apologies. I had never heard the term "autocross" used for on-track events; usually it's applied only to slow-speed parking lot events. And usually the cost is more like $25.

I don't know anything about these events conducted by NSSCC other than the brief description on their website. The one downside, though, is that, apparently, you get one lap at a time, three times in the morning and 3-5 times in the afternoon. At tracks like Blackhawk and GingerMan, a lap is a minute and a half to two minutes. So the amount of track time you're getting (under twenty minutes for the day) is the reason why they're less expensive. Also keep in mind that your insurance is much less likely to cover you in the event of an incident, since many policies contain exclusions for "competition and timed events".

If you try out one of their events, let us know how it goes.

Originally posted by ak:
Actually, Ken, if you go to the NSSCA website,you'll find that their description of autocross is actually more in the line of open track time trial event

IIRC, SCCA had several categories in the "non wheel-to-wheel" events:
- Solo-II is the "weaving through a cone pattern" that Ken describes
- Solo-I is basically time trials (laps around a roadcourse)

The venue usually gives it away... a flat parking-lot/tarmac type facility is typically used for Solo-II; roadcourses for Solo-I.

The NSSCC events are ok, but for 60 bucks more, you get about 60 times the track time (and Im not exagerating) with the CGI events. In addition, you are on a better track than Blackhawk (where most of the MC NSSCC events are.
Basically, at CGI you get 6 1/2 hour sessions, maybe more. At NSSCC you get one, then 2 or 3 timed runs, which start from a stop in the pit lane, and conclude when you reach the start finish, this constitutes about 1-1/2 minutes total time> If you can get into one of their schools, you get more time, but its still not as good as CGI!

Steve (removing his nose from phils rear)

Well, considering my crappy schedule, I'll take whatever track time I can get. I think i'll shoot for Aug 27 CGI school though.

We're cancelling the August meeting, since folks are busy over the summer. I've updated my original post. See you in September!

Back