• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science of Speed twin carbon clutch review

I have about 600 miles on mine and I'm going to remove it.

I can live with floating midplate rattle when the clutch is depressed, I can live with the on/off engagement, but I can't take the shudder from a stop. It hasn't changed from the first day I installed it.

Other reasons for shudder can be engine mounts or a worn transmission input shaft bearing, but I've had absolutely zero issues until I installed this clutch. The shudder isn't bad when I first start driving it and the clutch is cold. After the first start from a standstill, the carbon is warmed up, the coefficient of friction is higher, and this thing grabs/releases (shudders) like crazy.

I have to engage this clutch at idle because any throttle exacerbates the shudder. With the drivetrain slack noises our NSXs have, it is almost embarrassing to drive around town.

30k Mile update.

Car recently went through a full build, motor built, trans rebuilt etc. I filled the motor mounts and one was sent to SOS because it was completely in 2 pieces. I half expected the clutch would need rebuild/replacement parts as well. During the build I mic'd the carbon material to check the approximate life left on the clutch. After roughly 26k miles they said the material left was within the limits of what a new clutch might ship out with. This blew my mind.

Car now makes 690whp, went 10.006 in the quarter mile on a drag radial. Clutch is holding up with no issues, no signs of slipping. The wildest part is that the clutch is now smoother than ever. Not shuddering, even the engagement seems less on/off. Part of this may be the stiffening of the drivetrain with the filled mounts, or maybe the clutch is just getting broken in, but I've put about 4-5k miles this year and the clutch is far smoother than before the build.

I'll keep this going as long as this clutch keeps going.

30k Mile update.

Car recently went through a full build, motor built, trans rebuilt etc. I filled the motor mounts and one was sent to SOS because it was completely in 2 pieces. I half expected the clutch would need rebuild/replacement parts as well. During the build I mic'd the carbon material to check the approximate life left on the clutch. After roughly 26k miles they said the material left was within the limits of what a new clutch might ship out with. This blew my mind.

Car now makes 690whp, went 10.006 in the quarter mile on a drag radial. Clutch is holding up with no issues, no signs of slipping. The wildest part is that the clutch is now smoother than ever. Not shuddering, even the engagement seems less on/off. Part of this may be the stiffening of the drivetrain with the filled mounts, or maybe the clutch is just getting broken in, but I've put about 4-5k miles this year and the clutch is far smoother than before the build.

I'll keep this going as long as this clutch keeps going.

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy!

Back