• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed 3.8L Dyno Results

We recently dynoed a customer's NSX with a 3.8L naturally aspirated engine built by ScienceofSpeed. The engine is a a street build designed to be run on regular 91 pump gas with a compression ratio of 10.5:1.

The car dynoed at 331.4 hp & 265 lb/ft to the rear wheels which calculates to approximately 380 BHP crankshaft power.

Of most significance is the torque curve (the torque number is what your body actually feels) through out the RPM range. Not only does the engine produce more torque at 3000 RPM than a factory car does at PEAK, it also produces about the same horsepower and 20-25 Ft-Lb more torque than popular superchargers.

We're very happy with the results, and with the turn out of the car in general.

Thanks to the guys at Autowave (Huntington Beach, CA) for their tuning services & support.

More info on this engine package can be found here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ.../custom_engine_program/custom_engine_program/

Cheers,
-- Chris

38-stock-web.jpg

DSC07173.JPG

DSC07170.JPG

Last edited:
other bolt-ons?!?

Trivial inquiry, but can you tell us what else was done to the NSX other than the SOS 3.8 stroker package?

(ie. type of: headers/exhaust-manifolds, cat-back exhaust, a.i.s./air-filter, throttle-body, e.c.u._chip or E.M.S., etc]... :confused: )

Thanks. The increased torque and dyno-plots are very impressive, indeed! :cool:

Re: other bolt-ons?!?

Osiris_x11 said:
Trivial inquiry, but can you tell us what else was done to the NSX other than the SOS 3.8 stroker package?

(ie. type of: headers/exhaust-manifolds, cat-back exhaust, a.i.s./air-filter, throttle-body, e.c.u._chip or E.M.S., etc]... :confused: )

Thanks. The increased torque and dyno-plots are very impressive, indeed! :cool:

No problem, check out that info here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/special_projects/3.8L_assembly_Part2/

Cheers,
-- Chris

Re: other bolt-ons?!?

I wonder what the customer's thoughts are? Can he post some driving impressions and characteristics of this package?

Hey Guys, well I've had my NSX back for about 1 1/2 weeks now, been driving around in it like a madman and I still can't get enough of it. The NSX was a pretty perfect car out of the box, but after having this power surge in the 3.8L motor, it's just unbelievable. The torque response is instantaneous at every gear and the acceleration is phenomenol. I had many skeptical friends, but after giving rides, they just straight acknowledged that this car is friekin fast! Also, I'm not exaggerating on these comments, it's really the truth!

For those wondering which other mods I have.....

Sparco Steering Wheel
Recaro Pole Position Seats
Moton Double adjustable shocks
NSX-R Stabilizer Bars
Science of Speed sway bars
Brembo Indy Brakes
Taitec GT Lightweight Exhaust
Science of Speed Headers
various other parts........Please ask Chris at Science of Speed for more info about my car, they did a great job and I can't be happier.

Just for comparison sake, I have 3 other cars, 2002 E46 M3, 1994 Mazda Rx-7, and 1997 Ferrari F355....and this 3.8L NSX is by far the fastest car I have right now and the most exhilirating/fun to drive.

Ed

What would it be like with a supercharger or turbo set up? It could be built reliable and put out 430-480hp, that would be like "totally wicked" :biggrin: Sorry to borrow the line from The Incredibles.......it seemed appropriate

Would the stock US 5 speed gearing be better for this setup?

Is 4.23 the stock R&P for the 6speed tranny?

Just wondering if the extra power works better with taller gears.

JChoice said:
Would the stock US 5 speed gearing be better for this setup?

Is 4.23 the stock R&P for the 6speed tranny?

Just wondering if the extra power works better with taller gears.

IMO the shorties are a must in every early NSX. 6speed has 4.06, only the Type-R had 4.23 'stock'.

Edmo7 said:
Just for comparison sake, I have 3 other cars, 2002 E46 M3, 1994 Mazda Rx-7, and 1997 Ferrari F355....and this 3.8L NSX is by far the fastest car I have right now and the most exhilirating/fun to drive.
Ed
Ed

I am looking for a NA build on my 2002 Type-R clone

If you've driven an M5, how does your 3.8L NSX compare to the M5's V8 punch? Like yourself, I've had a few high-torque and high-hp cars. But even comparing my old 550 Maranello to my M5, I would pick the M5 for sheer grunt. I'm trying to reproduce that V8's instant punch, off the line, in an NSX. Aren't we all :wink:

I would welcome your thoughts, comments?

serialNSXer said:
Ed

I am looking for a NA build on my 2002 Type-R clone

If you've driven an M5, how does your 3.8L NSX compare to the M5's V8 punch? Like yourself, I've had a few high-torque and high-hp cars. But even comparing my old 550 Maranello to my M5, I would pick the M5 for sheer grunt. I'm trying to reproduce that V8's instant punch, off the line, in an NSX. Aren't we all :wink:

I would welcome your thoughts, comments?

First off, that's an awesome project you did on your NSX! Very ambitious, and it turned out perfect too. Unfortunately I have never driven an E39 M5 or an E60 M5. But just considering the fact that my NSX weighs around 2850lbs compared to the E39 M5's 4000 lbs weight, the feel of acceleration/grunt should be comparable. The M5 is pushing 400hp/365 ft/lbs at the crank, while this 3.8L is pushing roughly 380hp/310 ft/lbs at the crank, the ratings are pretty close, except the M5 still has a bit more torque. All in all, I can guarantee that you will be VERY satisfied with the 3.8L in your NSX. It's too bad you live so far, otherwise I'd take you for a spin.

Resurrecting this post... but the NA vs Turbo thoughts continue...

How much could you safely raise the compression by? Would it be theoretically possible to squeeze out 500 crank horsepower on 91 pump gas? How close could you get with a full NA tune with special intake manifold, ITB's, etc. Of course, the question then would be, how much? :smile:

- Tai

Resurrecting this post... but the NA vs Turbo thoughts continue...

How much could you safely raise the compression by? Would it be theoretically possible to squeeze out 500 crank horsepower on 91 pump gas? How close could you get with a full NA tune with special intake manifold, ITB's, etc. Of course, the question then would be, how much? :smile:

- Tai

A better flowing intake manifold, substantial compression increase, and higher RPM would produce significant gains, but 500hp is unrealistic for an engine that will not require regular rebuilding.

Something like 365-370whp is probably possible using the larger bore of the 3.8 stroker, combined with other supporting modifications; the question will become one of cost/reliability compared to forced induction options.

For those wondering which other mods I have.....

Sparco Steering Wheel
Recaro Pole Position Seats
Moton Double adjustable shocks
NSX-R Stabilizer Bars
Science of Speed sway bars
Brembo Indy Brakes
Taitec GT Lightweight Exhaust
Science of Speed Headers

Just for comparison sake, I have 3 other cars, 2002 E46 M3, 1994 Mazda Rx-7, and 1997 Ferrari F355....

Ed

Those are some CHOICE mods and cars, that's almost exactly what I would do! Congratulations on your good taste Ed :wink:

Back