• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed Introduces AEM Series 2 EMS for 1991-94 NSX

91-94_EMS_800.jpg

The AEM EMS, a standalone programmable engine management system, has become the most popular solution for allowing full engine control for high performance natural aspiration, supercharged, and turbocharged applications.

The next generation of the EMS - Series 2 - was released recently. Tied together with the powerful laptop programmable AEMTuner software, the Series 2 EMS has several key features compared to the Series 1 EMS including USB port, faster onboard processor, increased memory, improved sensor signal clarity, advanced knock and boost control options, and enough coil drivers for sequential ignition.

Although not available through AEM, ScienceofSpeed has designed a plug-and-play system based on a universal Series 2 EMS modified for the 1991-94 NSX application replacing the now discontinued 30-1042 Series 1 EMS.

for more information, please click below:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/EMS_1991-94_NSX/

The ScienceofSpeed designed AEM Series 2 EMS features:
  • installs in minutes with plug and play installation including VTEC leads requiring no cutting or modification of the factory electrical harness - the car can be reverted back to factory at any time
  • NSX specific lightweight aluminum mounting bracket and cover allows rigid installation, no exposed jumper harness, and with ECU connectors in the factory position.
  • full fuel, ignition, VTEC, and rev limiter control
  • start up NSX-specific calibration included
  • compatible with factory sensors
  • compatible with Microsoft Windows and includes both USB and serial ports
  • onboard memory for data logging without laptop connected
  • definable outputs
  • definable inputs
  • electronic boost control
  • definable knock control
  • definable wideband oxygen sensor control
  • wet or dry nitrous control
  • compatible with telemetry products such as AEM Serial Gauge, AIM, Racepack, and Race Technologies dash systems
  • system is full enabled - free software & firmware updates

Despite all the additions, we are able to price this similar to AEM's list for a standard Series 2 EMS!

This solution has been in development for a year with thanks to the help from a couple key AEM employees who are NSX enthusiasts themselves. We recently debuted the new AEM by competing in Modified Magazine's Tuner Shootout with a ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharged NSX powered by this new EMS. Read about it here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160273

regards,
-- Chris

91-94_EMS_800_installed.jpg

Wow, that's a pretty slick setup. Very clean install and professional looking. Nice job!

Do you have other input/output pins on your conversion block to support the other features the EMS can do? It wasn't clear from the pictures, but I assume you do somewhere.

Dave

Although not available through AEM, ScienceofSpeed has designed a plug-and-play system based on a universal Series 2 EMS modified for the 1991-94 NSX application replacing the now discontinued 30-1042 Series 1 EMS.

So you guys are no longer offering the Series 1 EMS?

And, I'm guessing this new Series 2 EMS still is not compatible with the factory traction control system (TCS) like the Series 1 EMS?

I really like that harness cover and the mounting bracket. Very professional indeed! Maybe someday I can graduate from an F/IC to this S2 EMS.

Can you please help us understand why this "and enough coil drivers for sequential ignition" is better than the old S1 version which had less drivers?

Wow, that's a pretty slick setup. Very clean install and professional looking. Nice job!

Do you have other input/output pins on your conversion block to support the other features the EMS can do? It wasn't clear from the pictures, but I assume you do somewhere.

Dave

Yes, this EMS supports all of the optional inputs/outputs of the Series 2 EMS (wideband O2, electronic boost control, switched inputs/outputs). They are inserted in to the wire cover through the grommet shown on the bottom.

I really like that harness cover and the mounting bracket. Very professional indeed! Maybe someday I can graduate from an F/IC to this S2 EMS.

Can you please help us understand why this "and enough coil drivers for sequential ignition" is better than the old S1 version which had less drivers?

Thank you. The Series 1 had 5 drivers, requiring the ECU to use wasted spark (ignition system fired in pairs). With 8 drivers on board with Seires 2, the ignition system can be triggered sequentially - spark is only delivered to the cylinder on its combustion stroke. There are some benefits like increased ignition system component durability. In practicality, we have not seen a difference - especially as it pertains to spark energy between the two.

So you guys are no longer offering the Series 1 EMS?

And, I'm guessing this new Series 2 EMS still is not compatible with the factory traction control system (TCS) like the Series 1 EMS?

We have a couple Series 1 EMS left in stock if you are interested. Once these are sold out, we will no longer have any left.

The factory traction control system is not compatible with this EMS, just like the prior model. However, the traction control built in to the AEM is far superior to the factory system and will not produce the jerky response from the throttle closing abruptly.

Excuse my nooby question here.

I'm planning ahead into possibly going FI. For the meantime, I decided to just stick with I/H/E and the 410 fuel injector mods. Do I need anything in addition to this EMS for what I have, or is this sufficient all the way through to the other major mods?

We have a couple Series 1 EMS left in stock if you are interested. Once these are sold out, we will no longer have any left.

The factory traction control system is not compatible with this EMS, just like the prior model. However, the traction control built in to the AEM is far superior to the factory system and will not produce the jerky response from the throttle closing abruptly.

Thanks for the info Chris.

Excuse my nooby question here.

I'm planning ahead into possibly going FI. For the meantime, I decided to just stick with I/H/E and the 410 fuel injector mods. Do I need anything in addition to this EMS for what I have, or is this sufficient all the way through to the other major mods?

Yes. You may wish to consider including wideband O2 sensors, especially if you will be going to FI. Note that 410cc will limit power to around 380-400 hp at the engine (about what a standard CT supercharger produces) so size accordingly. There are higher flow injectors with good linear pulse width control that will yield smooth operation during idle and low load use while you are NA, if your FI goals will require more fuel.

regards,
-- Chris

Yes. You may wish to consider including wideband O2 sensors, especially if you will be going to FI. Note that 410cc will limit power to around 380-400 hp at the engine (about what a standard CT supercharger produces) so size accordingly. There are higher flow injectors with good linear pulse width control that will yield smooth operation during idle and low load use while you are NA, if your FI goals will require more fuel.

regards,
-- Chris

Hey Chris,

I appreciate the advice. I guess my main question is, if I am going to stick with just the RDX injector mod, do I need anything else (wideband, FPR etc etc) in addition to this EMS to properly tune it?

Thanks again

Will certainly get one soon!

Seems like you guys switched around the AEM case so the logo is right side up! Very nice mounting bracket and adapter as well!

Is it wires under the adapter cover or PCB board?

1. The Series 2 EMS is oriented with the AEM logo with the connectors on the right. The NSX connectors need to be on the left as shown on the top, so installed it will look like the bottom photo. By special request, we can machine the housing like shown in the top photo if having the logo rotated is important to you.

2. The wire harness is secured under the aluminum cover and has a Kevlar braided band that wraps around it for security.

3. Through our relationship with AEM, ScienceofSpeed provides a year warranty on the EMS (this isn't an item that "goes bad" with age) as well as all other components included in the kit.

regards,
-- Chris

Chris,

Are you able to provide this with a base tune for someone with a stock motor on a low boost CTSC + I/H/E?

Yes, both our 1991-94 and 1995-2005 Series 2 EMS include a well sorted base calibration.

cheers,
-- Chris

Back