• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed NSX-R Engine Cover

Got it!! The item was extremely well packaged and took about 20 minutes to actually unwrap. I'm incredibly impressed with the workmanship that went into this and can't rave about it enough. It looks EXACT. The best news? It weighs about 1.75 lbs.

I'll be sure to post pics once everything is set but here's one from the NSXCC meet last weekend in the meantime
1054dxg.jpg

Last edited:
Got it!! The item was extremely well packaged and took about 20 minutes to actually unwrap. I'm incredibly impressed with the workmanship that went into this and can't rave about it enough. It looks EXACT. The best news? It weighs about 1.75 lbs.
Can you post pics? Especially of the underside and how the mesh is affixed to the frame?

Awesome, i'm happy for you and sad for me at the same time :confused:.

Mike

thank you for your review, glad you like it!

Thanks for the pics. The frame looks very well made. However...The mesh on my replica NSX-R cover from a few years ago was "glued" onto the frame with the same looking black silicone/rubber adhesive. Over time, in the hot sun, and under the hot engine temps caused the screen to expand and bow down the middle then eventually, the mesh delaminated from the frame starting in the middle. I eventually took it off and am running w/o the mesh now (not ideal).

Please post your long term results. I would very much like to replace mine with something that will not delaminate. Though I'm not encouraged from the looks of things but still hoping for the best.

I'm fairly certain that if something like that did happen you could send it back to SOS for a repair. I can't speak for Chris though..

The SOS cover looks like an almost exact replica of the real deal. If you look on Procar's thread pg. 14, he has pics. of the underside of the factory cover and it uses a similar glue/adhesive. Not all covers are made equal so I would not group the SOS cover's quality level as something purchased from another vendor. (a seller named Bert located in Thailand made one to my knowledge) Procar states that you can use the OEM mesh cover on the targa with a spacer. Perhaps you can with the SOS cover as well, but SOS probably does not recommend this because of minor fitment issues that does not meet their standards. Give them a call just to confirm would be the best choice before the throw down.

What kind of magical silicone is used for this anyway? Couldn't you just have bought a tube for $5 and a paint brush and gone to town?

so, what is the purpose of the mesh engine cover? i know it is to replicate the NSX-R, but why did the NSX-R have it? no engine cover would certainly weigh less. is there potential for rocks to get kicked up and break the glass?

Per Chris:

As you may be aware, we hit a delay in production of the cover designed for the targa NSX. The targa NSX has a different front engine compartment design than the coupe. We had intended on incorporating in the mold a provision for this, however, after test fitting trials, it will not be possible for us to manufacture a targa specific cover.

^ well...some Targa owners have/had NSX-R negine covers, so that isn't a problem... SOS used to have a kit with spacers so you could install a coupe cover in a Targa NSX..

who makes the replica for the NA2?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hi,

Well, apparently its a problem now.

if that is the case, then either:

- this cover isn't a exact replica, because the OEM WAS installed in Targas

or

- SOS is no longer able to produce the little hardware kit to adapt.

Nuno

^ well...some Targa owners have/had NSX-R negine covers, so that isn't a problem... SOS used to have a kit with spacers so you could install a coupe cover in a Targa NSX..

No, we never offered a spacer kit. The kit sold for targa NSX is for other covers (such as these), which are raised in the front - which clear the front raised engine compartment of the targa NSX fine. This kit only addresses the hinge design difference. There is no amount of spacer that will allow the NSX-R cover to clear the targa NSX engine bay raised front section without significant modification of the inner frame structure. For those that do want to know what is entailed to modify the cover, we will post some photos in the next day or two.

regards,
-- Chris

Hi,

if that is the case, then either:

- this cover isn't a exact replica, because the OEM WAS installed in Targas

or

- SOS is no longer able to produce the little hardware kit to adapt.

Nuno

This cover is a direct replica from a factory original cover. The NSX-R cover does not fit targa NSX as explained above. Other aftermarket "replicas" do not have the factory inner frame structure (which makes the cover rigid) which is why you may think that the cover has been used on targas.

-- Chris

Back