• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Searching for a new commuter car for my wife

We currently have a 2002 bmw 5 series as a commuter car which bleeds us dry at every service. It is time to be rid of German costly engineering. She was looking into the new Honda Accord and possibly the civic in touring trim.
I, however looked into the Hyundai Genesis which in standard v6 trim has more power, room, standard features, warranty, more everything.... For the same cost as a fully loaded accord.
Granted this is just a commuter car and she loves big comfy cars. I think the Genesis is the best bang for the buck, but I wanted to ask some of you here. The accord fully loaded and the base Genesis come in a hair under 40,000. What are some other options? Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler will not be considered in our search.

lol at the brands not to be considered

I am also looking for a grocery getter, kid hauler, family taxi type of vehicle and some of the ones we are considering:
new countryman s when it comes out, Q5, Tiguan, ct200h, nx200t, used FJ cruiser, used G500

Normally, I would say Accord all the way (I am on my 5th Accord as a DD)

But, the new Civic Touring has a ton of tech in it and it is now big enough to be a very comfortable DD.
and, it is about 28K.

I think it would be worth a drive at least.

Highly recommend the new civic. I got ex-l which is the trim just below touring but it still is pretty much fully loaded minus led headlights.

Last edited:
Normally, I would say Accord all the way (I am on my 5th Accord as a DD)

But, the new Civic Touring has a ton of tech in it and it is now big enough to be a very comfortable DD.
and, it is about 28K.

I think it would be worth a drive at least.
Yes I was considering this. But I am unsure of the touring civics 1.5L turbo engine. It is weak as hell...

- - - Updated - - -

An Accord V6 Touring stickers for ~35500 and can be bought for ~31000. Thats quite a bit under $40K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=0&searchRadius=200&listingId=431588611&Log=0
Correct. The full size Hyundai Genesis which even at base is technically fully loaded compared to an accord is 37,000. Plus it has a 10 year warranty and 311 hp.

- - - Updated - - -

THIS ...................

I'd drive it. If it has a Suzuki gsxr motor strapped to the back... My wife though, big ole nope. She likes BIG heavy cars...
Ypu guys know, women like to feel safe.

- - - Updated - - -

I will be test driving all three. Civic sounds like a bargain, the accord is a rock solid purchase with high resale, and the Genesis is a super bargain but resale and quality is unknown to me...

I own a Genesis sedan and agree with you completely. It is not remotely in the same ballpark as an accord. This is a Lexus LS competitor that sells slightly used for Accord money. I have had mine well over a year now with lots of miles and zero issues. Its a vault of silence. Best kept secret in the auto world.

Did you say BIG and comfy? Get this one..
attachment.php

I just got mine, exactly the same color and red interior. Comfy and feel like a king.

Used late 2014 or any 2015 (not early 2014--avoid that) PAWS RLX Advance is big, comfy, has the necessary tech, and more refinement than an Accord or Genesis, can be had for roughly Accord money. Go drive that, too.

So I went in wanting a Genesis BUT,,,,,, We ended up buying the 2016 Equus with every single option available. This car has the works! V8 429 hp, heads up display, heated/cooled rear seats, reclining rear seats, power everything, dual entertainment systems in the rear, ride height adjustable,you name it... I prefer the looks of the Genesis more. But the interior of the Equus is freakin awesome. Msrp was 70,000. I got it down to 56,000...

Post some pics.

That's a huge discount. Kinda like those street vendors lol.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Here ya go Dennis. I still am not totally sold on the exterior styling. But once you rest your head in these climate controlled HUGE seats, the Genesis becomes less and less luxurious. The Equus is 100k plus luxury for half the cost. Plus, EVERYONE has a freaking BMW. I wanted something different. My mom rocks a Genesis. A few years ago I would have not considered the Hyundai. But they are at a point now where Honda was in the 90's. A LOT OF CAR FOR A LOT LESS DOUGH!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 107
How reliable is your mom's car?

That interior is looking pretty classy. How's it feel? Classy?

The only thing that irks me about the exterior is that emblem on the hood. it's huge and looks out of place. Would have been better on the grill.

How reliable is your mom's car?

That interior is looking pretty classy. How's it feel? Classy?

The only thing that irks me about the exterior is that emblem on the hood. it's huge and looks out of place. Would have been better on the grill.
My mothers car is a 2012. She loves it. The interior on the Equus is what sold us. The cooled seats work 20 times better than the ones in my mdx. The leather is softer than anything I have owned, the ride is superb, and quiet. Also, the AC in the car takes it from scorching hot to frigid cold in about 1 minute. You definitely feel luxury riding in it. Like most car magazines say, all it is missing is a premium German badge. The rear seats have full control of gps, entertainment, climate control, etc. which can also be turned off by the driver. The heads up display can change colors to your liking too.
I still have yet to figure out all the specs. The dealer didn't even know much about the car as they don't really sell many.
The V8 power is extremely smooth and powerful in the car with 3 drive modes. Normal, sport, and snow.

Back