• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seattle Area NSX track event? The BBQ was great. So what next?

Several have weighed in on the BBQ thread suggesting a neat follow up would be getting a group together for participation in a track event of some sort.

I'm not sure this would take a whole lot of organization. Probably 3 or 4 guys saying, "Hey! We're going to do this (event & date). Anybody else want to come along?".

So here's a new thread to explore the idea.

Whatta all you NSX guys out there think?

Last edited:
A track event sounds great! A few of us newbies aren't qualified yet :frown: The next class to get qualified is Augest 2nd (I'm signing up and it would great to have any of the BBQ folks sign up as well, I met one guy that was interested but I can't remember his name, he drove the yellow wide body with OEM nav system). Here's a link with all the info http://www.proformanceraceschool.com/ Hope to see some familiar faces there.

Steve

I just came back from the day before :( Maybe we can plan to go somewhere in mid / late August. I just had my camera mounted and have 2 hrs worth of recordings. Hopefully I'll make it to DVD/CD this weekend.

I'll let you know, guys, and I might just burnt more for you guys to get a head start for the track learning... (Trust me, knowing your line and braking point through TV is 100 times better than just going through pictures and tried to memorized it's a left or right turns.)
I'm not a very good driver, so you can also see some mistakes I made and you can point at it and laugh... ;) But having one showing you the shift point in the exact same car in a faster pace will give you a total different view of the track than by going Proformance videos. I haven't had a chance to connect it to TV and review it, but looking from the camera, you can difinately seeing where I locked my tires, downshift, upshift...etc.

Come to think of it, if anyone never been on the track, August 2nd will be a good day, so you guys can basically join any of our outings in next available event.

Keep me in the loop with track days, will be happy to make another trip up to Seattle, I had so much fun last time at Pacific Raceways. Would be happy to help beginners with instruction and some ride alongs to tour the track at speed.

For newbies, PIR is a great track too. BMW day on the 22nd(I am instructing), http://www.bmwacaportland.com/#july_td might be full, Corvair Club is doing a ground school on the 24th with a track day on the 25th and I know there is still room, contact Brian O'Neill [email protected].

I better post the next track event at Bremerton Motorsports Park here.

On July 23rd and 24th, SCCA Time Trails will be hosting a Club Trails event. This is an opportunity to try a lapping day with some competition. It is not wheel-to-wheel racing, it is a comparison of lap times with designated passing zones. In addition, Club Trails does not have any race car preparation requirements other than passing a technical inspection and having a 95 Snell rated helmet.

This event is a great opportunity to finally see what you can do out on the track and how you compare to other drivers!

$150 for the whole weekend or $100 for one day. 90 day temporary SCCA memberships will be given to those who are not SCCA members.

Further information can be obtained from Mark McCloskey at [email protected].

Entry forms can be found at: http://www.nwr-scca.org/race/2005RaceSchedule.htm

Steve,

How much did you pay? I am intersted... just didnt have the time to do that may be a two weeks advance notice will get me enough time... beside, after that i will not be harassed by a wild animal :) right! ferrand...

NSXDreamer2 said:
I just came back from the day before :( Maybe we can plan to go somewhere in mid / late August. I just had my camera mounted and have 2 hrs worth of recordings. Hopefully I'll make it to DVD/CD this weekend.

I'll let you know, guys, and I might just burnt more for you guys to get a head start for the track learning... (Trust me, knowing your line and braking point through TV is 100 times better than just going through pictures and tried to memorized it's a left or right turns.)
I'm not a very good driver, so you can also see some mistakes I made and you can point at it and laugh... ;) But having one showing you the shift point in the exact same car in a faster pace will give you a total different view of the track than by going Proformance videos. I haven't had a chance to connect it to TV and review it, but looking from the camera, you can difinately seeing where I locked my tires, downshift, upshift...etc.

Come to think of it, if anyone never been on the track, August 2nd will be a good day, so you guys can basically join any of our outings in next available event.

Hey Ferrand,

Just remember to point out that there are differences in shifting points between the 5 vs 6 speed at Pacific Raceways. (just kidding :D)

So who else ended up going to the event on the 10th: Polar? Freelance201? And did you guys have fun showing how things are done at your home track to the visiting NSXs?

BTW: Some of us in the group are waiting for the track event report as well, so please share the highlights before you forget, we like to share info, and some of that includes some smack talk too. I'm curious about the low 1:3x laptime NSX in particular :cool:

Ken

Andy,
You still have 17 days to sign up for the class on August 2nd. There's still spaces available (see my above link to register). It be great to see you there. The class is $445 and if you don't have a helmet they'll provide one for free.

Steve

Ken, I didn't get to attend the BMW day there... Dave was there and he said he had fun though.

I was there with the Proformance school 2 days after the BMW day. I was just there so that my sister and her boyfriend (who were visiting from Taiwan) can get to see what it's all about..(like how I keep blowing cash on my car...:) ) An official Stopwatch timed me that I had low 1:44 with minor traffic. I think I was going through turn 5b, 6 and 7 much faster now. Yet the unofficial time is slower than what someone told me three events earlier, (they told me I did 1:43 best), with brand new RA1...

Well, I'm puzzled, and I guessed next week, I'll just sit in front of TV and start taking notes and find out exactly what my lap time is. The Smack talk between you guys... hmmm... I know that the CGT there did a 1:36 before he went off at turn 8 :eek: , no harm, just some dirt on tires or maybe little scratch on those expensive wheels. (one passenger he took claimed that they hit 160mph before the 'kink', and they have to slow down to take them...wow) There was also a Ferrari Challege 360 there. This gentleman pulls consistant 1:37-39 ish, with Traffic... With that speed and so many rats out there running around, that is truly amazing...

Now the gentlement at PIR who claimed his nsx could do a 1:35.xx, seems unrealistic to me... yeah, guess maybe the old track layout... but if that's the case, Doug and Andrie had been to the old layout, they sure can compare their times... and see who's talking smack.

Ken,
The track was just a blast, wish I had some lap times for you. Next time :rolleyes: . I got some good laps in in the A group and was making time on a well driven BMW M3 race car, I was a bit faster on the straights and could hold him in the corners if I trail braked hard, except in 3B where he had more grip. Seems like those cars are consitantly in the high to mid 1:30 range so a sub 1:40 should not be hard with clear track. 1:35 should be very doable too, especially with a supercharger :biggrin:.

I want to make it back up this summer, should have a camera in the car then, can always get a +-:01 time off that.

Dave

titaniumdave said:
Ken,
The track was just a blast, wish I had some lap times for you. Next time :rolleyes: . I got some good laps in in the A group and was making time on a well driven BMW M3 race car, I was a bit faster on the straights and could hold him in the corners if I trail braked hard, except in 3B where he had more grip. Seems like those cars are consitantly in the high to mid 1:30 range so a sub 1:40 should not be hard with clear track. 1:35 should be very doable too, especially with a supercharger :biggrin:.

I want to make it back up this summer, should have a camera in the car then, can always get a +-:01 time off that.

Dave

Hi Dave,

It sounds like you had a lot of fun :D.

Yeah, I also noticed that 3b in particular does require quite a bit of front end grip to be able to rotate the car quickly and have it setup for the exit.

So did you convert to a 6 speed or are you still running a 5 speed on your NSX?

With my NSX I kept playing around with various strategies going into 5a, I kept running out of gear on 3rd between 4 and 5a so I had to upshift to 4th way before getting into 5a and then trying to find a good point to downshift to 3rd, tried doing so before 5a, between 5a and 5b and also tried carrying the car into 5b on 4th gear too. Just wondering if you had similar issues as well..

BTW: I don't doubt that a SC'ed NSX with R-compounds can get close to a 1:35 :cool:, but I was a bit skeptical after hearing claims about someone else's NA NSX being able to do 1:35's with the current config (that's what Ferrand was referring to in his posting as well)

Hope you have fun in Spokane if you are heading that way next week.

Ken

The track day was tons of fun.....thanks Dave :tongue:

It would be nice to know track times; but I would say you had the fastest time out of all the cars there that day. Very good driving on your part! :rolleyes:

Ken,
I still have my 5 speed in, so never ran out of gear, problem was more of keeping it in Vtec. I found with 3b I could keep the RPM up by throwing the car into the corner as I trail brake hard at turn in, get the rear end to break away just enough to keep the the engine above 5K(I have Vtec set @ 4.5K), there is enough compression coming out onto the straight the car would always come back under me. Plus I shift to 3rd just after that compression, so the car is nice and settled. I was taking 5a, 5b and 6 in 2nd gear, shift to 3rd right at track out on 6 @ 7800 RPM. That part of the track is kind of sweet with the tall 2nd gear, solid vtec from 60-80 MPH. The only place I found the gearing sucked was turn in on 3a, but it is down hill, so not that big a deal, or if there was traffic in 3b and I couldn't do the 'toss' of the car.

I think a stripped, NA NSX with slicks could easily pull 1:35 in the current configuration, it's not about speed on the straights, it's about keeping speed up in the combination turns. I think that is all about bigger front tires and less weight. Frank who races SCCA with his stripped NSX(black NSX, was in Portland but didn't park with us) runs 245's on the front of his car for racing, plus I think his car is under 2700 lb. That combo should be damn fast :biggrin: .

Dave

titaniumdave said:
I think a stripped, NA NSX with slicks could easily pull 1:35 in the current configuration, it's not about speed on the straights, it's about keeping speed up in the combination turns. I think that is all about bigger front tires and less weight. Frank who races SCCA with his stripped NSX(black NSX, was in Portland but didn't park with us) runs 245's on the front of his car for racing, plus I think his car is under 2700 lb. That combo should be damn fast :biggrin: .

Hi Dave,

Now things make sense, I didn't know that Frank's car was all the way down to 2700lbs, I guess he forgot to mention that ;)

When I talked to him he did not seem to know about the rear beam bushings and the non-compliance toe links, so either he was sandbagging (just like any racer does) or he does not know about some of the mods that are available off the shelf. He fabricated a lot of goodies for his car by himself so I was impressed :cool:. Given that he's running ITS (or was it ITE?) he should be able to get away with almost any mod on his car :D.

BTW: Frank was running MPSC's which are about 2 to 3 seconds slower than a slick, so I'm still curiuos to know if he can pull a sub 1:35's at Pacific Raceways *with* traffic running DOT tires (per ITS/ITE rules)

Ken

steve,

thanks i will take a close look at the info. hopefully i can be there :) BTW, do they limited your top speed when you are new to the track?

Ferrand,

if I go, will you be my PIT boy of the day? I really need a PIT boy...

Speedware motorsport has track day on the July 27th which is a wednesday, however this event requires previous tracking experience at pacific raceway. I really enjoy the way that speedware put together track events, which includes lunch and not very tight on the rules, as long as you know what you're doing.
for more information please check speedware motorsports and click on event.

Yeah, I registered and got confirmed :) saw your car at Kansai yesterday...
so, i wiped my shoes with your carpet haha!! j/k

so i went what's next? anyway, the lapping is fun... will do it more after some upgrades to the car :)

I didnt see any NSX tho... i though someone on this forum said they were going to go but ...

Back