• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Second Gen NSX at NSXPO 2014

I disagree. The demographic that they need to consider is the one with disposable income.
Correct.
How is that different from the "original owner" NSXs who had disposable income 20 years ago to purchase their car compared to the deemed inferior current "used NSX" owners who likely now have just as much disposable income as the "original owners" did 20 years ago.

Essentially, it seems very elitist to assume that everyone who isn't an original owner is young, has minimal personal wealth and shouldn't be given as much consideration by Honda as "original owners". It is sad to see that type of behavior on this forum.

hold up.....i don't see anyone claiming or deeming that current "used' owners are inferior...where is that coming from?

More precisely...

It would be nice if original owners were given some type of consideration as we would be most likely to purchase the 2nd gen new.

:)

Considering I was 6 yrs old in 1991, I think this is rather elitest. I am in the financial position now where I could afford one, not that I'd be likely to buy one right away, because I like saving money. I am, however, going to be joining NSXCA whenever I get around to faxing in the application and sending the dues over. I would LOVE to be able to tour the new facility and who knows, maybe it'd sway my decision if the car is as amazing as I am hoping it to be... I'm not saying it would be a drop in the bucket by any means, but it could be obtained if I really wanted one badly enough.

Okay, so everyone please take a step back and relax.

If you look at the post that has everyone's panties in a bunch, it is from Ken and it has a smiley face. Given his post-whore championship belt combined with his status as the only lifetime member of the NSXCA, it obviously was a little reminder that he was not only an original member of the NSXCA but also original (and 20 year) owner of his red '91 until a couple of years ago. So to that extent, I would agree that it would be "nice" if he were given "consideration" but realistically I doubt Ken would be first kid on his block to get the new NSX this time around.

The bottom line is that the only consumers Acura actually cares about include the demographic of relatively high income earning males who can spend over $100k on a second or third vehicle that is not intended to be a daily driver. Age is irrelevant except to the extent that you have a recent high school grad who saved his pennies from multiple after school jobs and is looking for a $15k salvage special just so he can say he owns an NSX.

But even the first demographics of the original buyers has changed over time. I was 30 at the time and had intended upon buying one as soon as it hit the showroom. At the unveiling party at my local dealer, I offered $66k cash (before taxes, etc) and was told I had to start bidding at $92k to be considered. I walked out and the next day drove over to the local Mercedes dealer and bought an S class with the cash after which I drove back to the Acura dealer to tell him I wouldn't do business with him in the future.

Now much has changed with the world and the economy over the ensuing decades and I am no longer willing to shell out six figures to buy a "toy". I would imagine there are those like me similarly situated. And having been active in the NSXCA, and coming to know many of the membership over the last 12 years, I would venture a guess that the number of people fitting the "demographic" of new NSX buyers is fairly small.

That being said, I am confident they will sell out the first year's production and that after 3 or 4 years, there will members of our community who will purchase that first year or two when they start coming off of leases. Until then, Acura will still be courting the high income males who are looking for the newest thing to add to their collection.

Last edited:
All I know is, if I see a post by Arista in the girl's & NSX's thread of Paris Hilton getting out of a 2015 NSX at McGrath Acura in Chicago while going commando because her panties were caught up in a bunch somewhere up in this thread and with a forlorn-looking Ken Sax off in the background holding a sign that says "I'm mid-engine-carless, will work for NSX," then I'll be a little bummed. But also glad Paris was caught commando and not Ken. :)

The above is stated as a joke though I'm not sure anyone else but me thought it was funny based on the sound of crickets, lol.

Last edited:
...nice..........anytime we discuss finance/wealth/class/social and religious issues the discussion gets all crazy,because we all bring our emotions to the forum.I hope they sell all of them right outa the gate,because they really need to or else i fear acura and honda may just give up entirely on sports cars/high performance vehicles.

If they don't have one with 3 pedals (dead pedal doesn't count!), than I'm not interested, new or used!!! Yes, it's faster to have the car with the F1 style transmission, but I'm "ole skool" and my "toys" need 3 pedals for me to really enjoy the driving experience. Until I can't do it my way, I'll have to limit what I want, to the manufacturers that build'em that way, or buy some "classics"!!!

Well, I'm surprised I need to set the record straight, but apparently some people don't notice smiley faces or don't have much of a sense of humor (and are quick to get their panties in a twist with charges of elitism), so here goes, for their benefit.

On one hand, it is a simple fact that carmakers are in the business of selling new cars. So, for those who understand concepts like market segmentation and prioritization, they want to sell to those who can afford buying a car new, and who are most likely to do so. In statistical terms, you could easily make a case that a carmaker would be more likely to sell a new sports car for $100K+ by marketing to those who already own late-model sports cars that cost $100K+. That doesn't mean that owners who bought their NSX used for under $30K will never buy a new one, but the heaviest marketing efforts are typically directed to those with the greatest chance of purchasing a new car. This is how businesses normally sell product - by targeting those most likely to buy the product new.

On the other hand, Acura (American Honda) has been incredibly generous with the NSX Club of America and the body of NSX owners, making no distinction between those who bought their cars new and those who bought used (or even those members who don't own an NSX at all). They have supported the club, and its NSXPO national event, with financial sponsorship as well as by making available their personnel such as Ted Klaus and others, and in some years, their facilities for tours. They understand and recognize the enthusiasm of all owners. And all owners benefit from that recognition (or, at least, all NSXPO attendees do).

As for my previous post, while it was making the (serious) point that carmakers market to those most likely to buy cars new, I was not (seriously) advocating a difference in treatment at NSXPO between new buyers and used buyers. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably failed to notice that the wording of the post in question was intentionally echoing that of the previous post, for purposes of humor and fun (a point that is lost when the post is quoted while omitting the previous post, as deceptively done above). It's also worth remembering that the whole purpose of NSXPO, the annual event which I started in 1997, is fun, fun for all NSX owners.

Hope that sets the record straight.

Last edited:
Correct.
How is that different from the "original owner" NSXs who had disposable income 20 years ago to purchase their car compared to the deemed inferior current "used NSX" owners who likely now have just as much disposable income as the "original owners" did 20 years ago.

Essentially, it seems very elitist to assume that everyone who isn't an original owner is young, has minimal personal wealth and shouldn't be given as much consideration by Honda as "original owners". It is sad to see that type of behavior on this forum.

Maybe I'm confused, but doesn't Honda just sell cars to the "original owner"... or are you thinking "certified used" lease returns in 2019... I don't think Honda cares if your young or old... wealthy be wealthy... get out your check book brotha and sign on the line...

Folks, am I the only one who thinks the New NSX is not about making money? The first one wasn't. It was about technology. It was a halo car. It never made money for Honda in the 15 years it was produced. The R&D and production costs far outweighed the price point. Granted, Honda's loss was tempered by the sales of Integras and its other vehicles that featured some of the NSX's technology trickled down through the early years. I had this conversation with Ted later in the evening at NSXPO. And he admitted as much. It will be the same with Gen 2 . It's a halo car to introduce technology and set the tone for Honda's/Acura's other models to come. So IMO, 1000 units globally per year at the price point of an Audi R8 say at the top end of it's price range still can't possibly cover the R&D and production. There is a reason Ferrari sells its cars for at least twice the Honda projected price point range. All of that said, the NSX has been a success or Honda/Acura wouldn't be going though this again. Now, if the new NSX doesn't sell in it's first years and doesn't generate the acclamation and brand awareness like the original NSX, it will surely indicate that Honda/Acura may be going the wrong direction in the public's and shareholder's eyes and so it's still a huge risk. Remember Honda's main business is not building and selling Supercars or Hypercars. It is in the business of building and selling everyday cars to us lowly non-original NSX scavengers...err...owners. :biggrin-new: My .02 and I'm putting on my flame suit now.

Okay, so everyone please take a step back and relax.

The bottom line is that the only consumers Acura actually cares about include the demographic of relatively high income earning males who can spend over $100k on a second or third vehicle that is not intended to be a daily driver. Age is irrelevant except to the extent that you have a recent high school grad who saved his pennies from multiple after school jobs and is looking for a $15k salvage special just so he can say he owns an NSX..

Being a little sexist are we? FYI, women are easily mamking over $100k these days and have the means to spend and buy no differently then the men:wink:.........and don't think Acura cares who buys their cars and perhaps down the road they just might consider their test drivers to include women:biggrin:

Being a little sexist are we? FYI, women are easily mamking over $100k these days and have the means to spend and buy no differently then the men:wink:.........and don't think Acura cares who buys their cars and perhaps down the road they just might consider their test drivers to include women:biggrin:

Not being sexist, just noting that owners such as yourself are such a small number of overall owners that unfortunately Acura doesn't seem to take that demographic into consideration. I am always amused when people post on Prime about whether the NSX is a "chick magnet" since generally teen boys will be more impressed than the ladies. I remember reading somewhere that NSX owners were over 98% male and that did surprise me but over 12 years of active membership in the NSXCA I believe I have met only 8 women who were owners.

So, yes, I am fully aware women are financially capable of buying an NSX but for whatever reasons they have not in the last 23 years and I don't suspect they will be lining up for the new one either.

Last edited:

Not being sexist, just noting that owners such as yourself are such a small number of overall owners that unfortunately Acura doesn't seem to take that demographic into consideration. I am always amused when people post on Prime about whether the NSX is a "chick magnet" since generally teen boys will be more impressed than the ladies. I remember reading somewhere that NSX owners were over 98% male and that did surprise me but over 12 years of active membership in the NSXCA I believe I have met only 8 women who were owners.

So, yes, I am fully aware women are financially capable of buying an NSX but for whatever reasons they have not in the last 23 years and I don't suspect they will be lining up for the new one either.

Just a point of "clarification", Shawna has more balls than many men, so she can be included in both demographics!

Roger..........you were not supposed to tell everyone that I go both ways!! You did mean being Bilingual didn't you:rolleyes: And about that test drive I brought up with Ted..........hmmm, just maybe on the new track here which BTW they started to dig - yippee!!

Did everyone forget that Honda/Acura still make a ton of cash from selling parts and not just cars so they do not really care if you are the first or fifth owner of a NSX as long as you buy and install OEM parts

these aftersales are imo almost negligible in the grand scheme of things when you are talking about a car that was sold in very very limited numbers.

Did everyone forget that Honda/Acura still make a ton of cash from selling parts and not just cars so they do not really care if you are the first or fifth owner of a NSX as long as you buy and install OEM parts

They will sell more parts if they sell more cars. Therefore, they need to sell as many cars as they can.

I understand carmakers sell cars only to make money but does that really apply to flagship cars. Examples Lexus LFA 400K price tag they lost a boat load of money on it but it put out a ton of now toyota tech that would work its way down onto new lexus vehicles in the years to come. I guess the vehicles price point will tell all, look at the Skyline cheep price wise compared to the LFA but it did not have near as many technical advancements compared to the LFA. Low price for the NSX means possible overlap parts with other acura vehicles.

Back