• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seriously, how often do you redline?

I know most of us here are NSX owners... but I'm sure
some people own their cars for various reasons... I've driven
my NSX to work every day this week, first time in a looong time,
but I drive it both days on the weekends usually. Since I've put
in the new exhaust system, I don't think I've gone a day without
not hitting close to the redline... Its just sounds so damn good!

Ok ok... Even though I say this about my driving style, I promise you
last time when I got pulled over by the police, it had nothing to
do with driving fast or "trying to hit the redline".
smile.gif
seriously though.

I was just curious who is still "worried" about making the car go to redline.
smile.gif
The first half year I owned the car, I was a lot more gentle with it..
but these days its regular punishment...

The NSX rules.
smile.gif

Assuming it's designed right, shifting at the stock redline should not be punishment on anything but fuel mileage. However, as with any time you are in a lower gear than you need, you are putting more "miles" on the engine per actual mile traveled because the pistons and valves are making more strokes. Just drone along at 2k occasionally to make up for it.
smile.gif

I hit redline with every drive, it just seems like every time I get in the car I have yahoos in Mustangs, Vettes and Z-28's wanting to race. street racing is big around here and every one with an exhaust and stickers is John Force. to my surprise I'm constantly being harrassed by trucks??? since when are they fast? oh well?

The trucks aren't harassing you, it's the red-necks driving the trucks. As far as redlining goes, I take to 8,000 every shift that I can. Was the car meant to be driven differently?

If there's an open stretch of nice road ahead, I can't resist. However, the roads around here (CT) could be better, but my moving to Boulder soon will fix that.

On the track, I redline for every upshift.

On the street, seldom if ever. There's no point in being in a lower gear if you're not doing it to take advantage of the quicker acceleration.

On the street, seldom if ever. There's no point in being in a lower gear if you're not doing it to take advantage of the quicker acceleration.

Oh but Ken, the visceral sounds of those sweet VTEC cams...THAT IS the reason!!

Originally posted by PaulC:
"Red line. every day, every Shift" ?

I find it hard to red line more than 1st and 2nd without getting arrested.

I typically redline on 1->2 and 2->3 upshifts once the engine's warm (have short gears and the Type-R rear-end). 3->4 and The Force is usually with you (earlier with my RM-BB exhaust/CT intake).

I usually kick it up to 4th or even 5th once you hit crusing speeds (about 90 speed-units on the FL Turnpike) to keep things quiet.

I typically redline on 1->2 and 2->3 upshifts once the engine's warm

It's impossible to redline before the engine's warm. The rev limiter cuts in around 7100 rpm.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I typically redline on 1->2 and 2->3 upshifts once the engine's warm

It's impossible to redline before the engine's warm. The rev limiter cuts in around 7100 rpm.

Good point... is there any harm in hitting the rev limiter while the engine is NOT fully warmed up ??

Originally posted by nsx1164:
Good point... is there any harm in hitting the rev limiter while the engine is NOT fully warmed up ??

Yeah, it causes accelerated wear to everything. You should go easy on the throttle until the car is FULLY warmed up, which typically means 15-20 minutes of normal driving in an NSX.

nsx1164- nice car ever go to any of the car car meets in south fla like towershops on fri night? Id love to see your car! There are usually 1 or 2 nsxs there. stop by some time!

Originally posted by nsx1164:

Hmmm...
confused.gif
I'm only guessing, but... Did you intend to instead ask whether there is any harm in hitting the rev limiter while the engine IS fully warmed up?

Originally posted by SouthFlaNSX:
nsx1164- nice car ever go to any of the car car meets in south fla like towershops on fri night? Id love to see your car! There are usually 1 or 2 nsxs there. stop by some time!

Thanks

Will do -- have not been to Tower Shops, though would like to, one of these days. Fridays are usually a travel day for me.

I was with the NSX-Florida gang at a recent Car Show (10/14 in Coral Gables). Car took 2nd place in Honda Division.

Send me a private email at [email protected] -- I'm trying to get some folks together over the next few weekends.

Cheers -- Manuel

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
Have redlined it once, maybe twice in three years...... Why would anyone have the need to redline on city streets? I'd buy a Camaro or something if I just wanted to beat something around...

Why buy sports car if not to drive it hard? Or even take it to the track?

Different strokes for different folks.

I never redline my NSX...let alone get into VTEC...I think it causes damage to the engine to run it at more than 70% of the engine's rev band...really bad for the engine guys. So I'll shift at 5600rpm maximum...but for normal driving, I shift at around 3500rpm.

Andie

Back