• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shipping a car across country (searched)

I did a search and read lots of good posts from members, as well as read the FAQ (which I got a few company names to get quotes from), but just had a few questions of my own that I felt weren't answered. First off, I'm not shipping a NSX but figured I'd post it in this forum as the info can be useful to those who would actually want to ship their NSX via an open truck rather than enclosed truck, and that there's always people needing to ship their NSX or another car. If not, then move this post into the Off Topic forum.

I know that a majority of the members on here highly recommend the use of an enclosed trailor/truck to transport a high-end car like a NSX. But my main concern is someone who is cheap & for the most part reliable. I'm transporting a RHD car (looks like any other US counterpart so it's not that rare looking when on the open bed of a truck) that has a shotty paint job already so dirt/road grime is the least of my concern. My main concern is with theft & vandalism. Has anyone dealt with, or have seen a car on an open trailor during transportation become vandalised or (I would expect not) have it stolen during transport? If it gets dirty or dinged up a bit, that's the least of my concern. I just want the car to make it in one piece without it getting messed with when the driver is stopped for a longer period of time (sleep, food, whatever).

I've sent quote requests from a few companies (Intercity, TNT, Passport) and waiting to hear back but does anyone have any recommendations on a decent and/or cheap open trailor auto shipping company? I'm mostly looking for for CHEAP and something that I don't have to worry about theft/vandalism with the car. Again, if it gets dirty or dinged up a bit, that's the least of my concern. I just want the car to make it in one piece.

Given your needs, just pick the least expensive and wait. There are a ton of transports that can handle this job, especially with no concerns re dirt, dings, etc. Good luck

I had Dave from Driven to Succeed transport mine from Sac to Az for 800 round trip. I can't find his number right now...he was recommended by Mark B.

Thanks for the info & PMs. Just an update for those who might be curious in the future, prices change ALL THE TIME so it's really a toss up who you call and when you call. Right now the average price for open transport from CA to an East Coast state will cost me around $850-$900, depending on who I talked to, with one quoting me as low as $750 and a couple as high as $1200+ areas. Now, ironically, when I asked about closed transport (covered), I actually got a few quotes as low as $1200-something, but the average of the closed transport prices seemed to be around the $1800-$2000 range from coast to coast, and with a high of $2600+ :eek: . I cannot really say how the quality of each company is but those are just some numbers only, just about all of them saying insurance & taxes are included with the price.

Just a few numbers to give you an idea for what a coast-to-coast open and closed transport prices are for at least the Fall 2004 time frame.

Back