• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Current SF Bay Area body shop recommendations

Hi All,

My ‘97 Monte Carlo blue/tan NSX got rear ended tonight in San Mateo. Arghh. The lifted pickup truck that ran into us hit it high, so I don’t think it damaged the bumper but instead hit the tail lights and the spoiler and the trunk lid is pushed back and it won’t open easily. (I don’t want to force it). And I’ll want to have everything checked out thoroughly of course.

I’ve owned this car (and kept it perfect) for 24 years since I bought it from Los Gatos Acura in September 1999. It only has 40K miles on it. I’m still in shock about the loss of value I just suffered. Needless to say I want to get it fixed by the best shop available.

I’ve been searching the threads and it looks like Brooks in Oakland is good, and there a lot of Cologne mentions from way back when Jim Russell was there. But I’m wondering if anyone has any better or more current recommendations?

Thanks all,
Keith

Hi All,

My ‘97 Monte Carlo blue/tan NSX got rear ended tonight in San Mateo. Arghh. The lifted pickup truck that ran into us hit it high, so I don’t think it damaged the bumper but instead hit the tail lights and the spoiler and the trunk lid is pushed back and it won’t open easily. (I don’t want to force it). And I’ll want to have everything checked out thoroughly of course.

I’ve owned this car (and kept it perfect) for 24 years since I bought it from Los Gatos Acura in September 1999. It only has 40K miles on it. I’m still in shock about the loss of value I just suffered. Needless to say I want to get it fixed by the best shop available.

I’ve been searching the threads and it looks like Brooks in Oakland is good, and there a lot of Cologne mentions from way back when Jim Russell was there. But I’m wondering if anyone has any better or more current recommendations?

Thanks all,
Keith
SO sorry to hear this, especially for a MCB. But it sounds like the damage wasn't too bad... Hopefully it gets fixed up quick and you're back on the road!

As another bay area owner of an 97 MCB / camel, this hurts my heart. I would recommend Cologne Auto Body for body / paint work (even without Jim there anymore - see Luis) and San Carlos Auto Solutions (who works on many NSXs and whose owner Kenneth owns one too) for any mechanical work.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your accident, I just picked up a 99 MCB with black interior myself. Nice to hear that there are three others in the Bay Area.

I need some paint work done myself, so let us know how the repairs turn out.

As another bay area owner of an 97 MCB / camel, this hurts my heart. I would recommend Cologne Auto Body for body / paint work (even without Jim there anymore - see Luis) and San Carlos Auto Solutions (who works on many NSXs and whose owner Kenneth owns one too) for any mechanical work.
Hi Chip,

Glad to see you still have yours too. I remember checking out your Tubi exhaust way back at one of the Bridgepoint meet ups.

I went to see Luis yesterday at Cologne, based upon on the recommendations, and also because they were the shop State Farm recommended.

He called me today and declined to provide an estimate. They don’t feel they have the expertise necessary to work on the car, and the parts will be too difficult to get. I guess their Acura expert is gone.

The damage really doesn’t look that bad. But the big issue is that the trunk lid got pushed forward about a half inch, and is now butted firmly up against the engine lid glass, so you can’t open either without messing something up further…

Any good ideas are very welcome.

Hi Chip,

Glad to see you still have yours too. I remember checking out your Tubi exhaust way back at one of the Bridgepoint meet ups.

I went to see Luis yesterday at Cologne, based upon on the recommendations, and also because they were the shop State Farm recommended.

He called me today and declined to provide an estimate. They don’t feel they have the expertise necessary to work on the car, and the parts will be too difficult to get. I guess their Acura expert is gone.

The damage really doesn’t look that bad. But the big issue is that the trunk lid got pushed forward about a half inch, and is now butted firmly up against the engine lid glass, so you can’t open either without messing something up further…

Any good ideas are very welcome.
I would source another trunk lid and cut the bent one out carefully- check with SOS- they usually keep a decent stock of old NSX parts. If the truck hit the tail lights, it's possible the rear panel behind the light got pushed in as well- it is possible to pull it out with the proper equipment. I would download a copy of the body repair manual and give it to the shops you find. You need someone who can work with aluminum- maybe the Ferrari or Tesla preferred shops?

Back