• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

shocking pictures of Southwest 737 engine failure

This looks like a page out of the classic Twilight Zone airplane monster script - big hole(s) in a Southwest 737 engine.

Thankfully the pilots skillfully landed the plane on one engine, and there were no injuries.

I just flew back from San Jose on a very turbulent Southwest flight, and I'm glad I didn't see the photos until now.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

dal5kr7.gif

dal4dm9.gif

This looks like a page out of the classic Twilight Zone airplane monster script - big hole(s) in a Southwest 737 engine.

Thankfully the pilots skillfully landed the plane on one engine, and there were no injuries.

I just flew back from San Jose on a very turbulent Southwest flight, and I'm glad I didn't see the photos until now.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

dal5kr7.gif

dal4dm9.gif
isn't william shatner in there somewhere?

The aircraft was at 30,000 or 31,000 when the spinner decided to depart the engine. Doh! Glad it wasn't my machine at the time. :biggrin:

The aircraft was at 30,000 or 31,000 when the spinner decided to depart the engine. Doh! Glad it wasn't my machine at the time. :biggrin:
Terry - do you fly for WN? Who else here flys for WN, and who else besides skyguy are commercial pilots?

I became an A-list on WN this week. Started flying WN in May and made the notorious list this week.

If you fly for WN, let's trade contact info, so the next time I fly WN, I can see if you're my pilot.

Terry - do you fly for WN? Who else here flys for WN, and who else besides skyguy are commercial pilots?

I became an A-list on WN this week. Started flying WN in May and made the notorious list this week.

If you fly for WN, let's trade contact info, so the next time I fly WN, I can see if you're my pilot.

brain freeze...whats WN ?

That's pretty insane... the engine cowl is suppose to contain turbine blade failures. :eek:

there is actually footage of a frozen chicken being thrown into a engine, the blades actually fail and are contained in the cowl.

Could this be a picture a ground damage?:confused:

sorry, second look at the pics...

cowl skin bent outwards... looks like another FAA "in-depth" review:wink:

MORE PAPERWORK:eek:

Lost it in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan when the main rotor blade of my apache came thru the cockpit during the crash sequence.

I am terribly sorry to hear that. Like every other solider on Prime I want to thank you and I support you in everything you have done and will do.

Lost it in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan when the main rotor blade of my apache came thru the cockpit during the crash sequence.

Also very sorry to hear that. What an amazing machine though. Never seen one, ever. Thanks for the service, from a CDN who believes in the Afghanistan mission very much.

LongbowApache.jpg

I am terribly sorry to hear that. Like every other solider on Prime I want to thank you and I support you in everything you have done and will do.

+1 :smile: Support our Troops :smile:

Glad you were able to survive the ordeal. I can't imagine how to cope with something like that. You are a hero for sure. God Bless

I love to fly and yes even though the pics are shocking, planes are able to fly using one engine, and especially after the ETOPS regulation all twin jet planes are tested to the extreme flying on one engine. Happy flying

Offhand, does anyone know the tail number of the plane in question?

BTW...Was this plane on a treadmill? We won't be covering any warranty work on any plane that has been run on a treadmill. If you look in your owners manual you will see it explicitly states you can not run a plane on a treadmill and retain warranty coverage. But by no means do we make any claims in the manual that the plane will or will not fly.

Back