• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy Shorai Battery and CNC Machined Battery Tray Package - 7 pound setup - Direct bolt on

Picked this up from Colin over the weekend. It was great talking to you Colin and thank you putting together the group buy! The CNC machined tray is top notch and I am still impressed at how light the lithium iron battery is! The whole package is a lot lighter than the Odyssey PC680 setup I had. Took me 30 minutes to install and I feel it looks really good too!

I installed mine in about an hour. Makes me want to do a wire tuck. Looks great and starts/runs fine so far. Thanks!

Thanks Jay!

Money sent for black anodized bracket with terminals. Inbox is cleared :biggrin:

Got it.

Hi Colin, put me down for a black NA1 with a battery charger! THANKS MIKE

Thanks Mike!

Colin,
put me down for a black one. No need to ship. I can swing by.
Thx
Tim

Sounds good Tim, is your car an NA1?

Picked this up from Colin over the weekend. It was great talking to you Colin and thank you putting together the group buy! The CNC machined tray is top notch and I am still impressed at how light the lithium iron battery is! The whole package is a lot lighter than the Odyssey PC680 setup I had. Took me 30 minutes to install and I feel it looks really good too!

It was really great talking to you Albert!

I didn't participate in this group buy.
My hesitation is purely centered on the question
of how long this battery will last unattended.
I have a relatively light battery that easily
goes 2 months without any issue whatsoever
with a fast crank.

That being said, the tray is sexy and I look forward
to user reviews.

I didn't participate in this group buy.
My hesitation is purely centered on the question
of how long this battery will last unattended.
I have a relatively light battery that easily
goes 2 months without any issue whatsoever
with a fast crank.

That being said, the tray is sexy and I look forward
to user reviews.

Yeah capacity would certainly be the biggest drawback here, but so far that's the only real downside I've found.

how is tracking info provided?

I'll email it to you once it ships. Getting another batch of batteries this week, hopefully will be shipping yours by the end of the week.

i have a 1000w sound system, if i were to be playing music pretty loud (80% vol), would the battery still be able to start the car? what about 1hr? etc..

i have a 1000w sound system, if i were to be playing music pretty loud (80% vol), would the battery still be able to start the car? what about 1hr? etc..

Unfortunately I don't have any data on that topic. Since you're in SoCal, we can try it out with my battery.

Holy cow, this wee battery looks so cute! Great job on putting this kit together, the brackets look beautifully machined as well

phryxis: I sent the $$ on Friday, Aug 30. My PayPal id begins with 'mhe'. Can't wait to install this little dude. It looks great in the pics. I've sent a couple of PMs but haven't heard anything. Please PM me a tracking #. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

No way. I would say 10-15 minutes. You guys need to understand all this weight savings comes at a cost and if you aren't willing to make the compromise then don't do it. I have killed it fairly easily with a steady drain. It just doesn't have a lot of reserve. And it won't do all that well in freezing temps.

Phryxis you should make a dual side by side version that will double the capacity for people that want more. Still only 9 pounds and can fit easily.

Last edited:
We are going to extend the group buy for the maximum group buy time of 90 days, so the last day will be Sept 19th!

We are still planning on doing the drop test and cold temperature test, I apologize for lagging on those, as I know some of you are really looking forward to the results. Finding a suitable and safe place to drop the rig is proving to be harder to find than expected. We've sourced a warehouse and fork lift that are high enough to get a ~25mph drop test, and are in communication on a schedule for us to do it.

We are still doing batch orders, so I apologize for the people who have to wait a bit longer.

All that being said, thanks so much for your continued support and enthusiasm for our product, and as always, please let me know if you have any questions.

9668806316_aa47fb5bd1_b.jpg

9668806478_c226f6c73c_b.jpg

phryxis: I sent the $$ on Friday, Aug 30. My PayPal id begins with 'mhe'. Can't wait to install this little dude. It looks great in the pics. I've sent a couple of PMs but haven't heard anything. Please PM me a tracking #. Thanks a bunch!

Sorry for the slow response Matt, as I stated in my PM, catching up with work after the long weekend.

No way. I would say 10-15 minutes. You guys need to understand all this weight savings comes at a cost and if you aren't willing to make the compromise then don't do it. I have killed it fairly easily with a steady drain. It just doesn't have a lot of reserve. And it won't do all that well in freezing temps.

Phryxis you should make a dual side by side version that will double the capacity for people that want more. Still only 9 pounds and can fit easily.

Shorai themselves are actually coming out with a "car" battery in the future which will have a large capacity and a large price

Last edited:
Lamini, I saw your post that you so graciously deleted as to not detract from my thread, but I think it's a very valid concern and it should be talked about.

Lamini is put off by the fact that these batteries are Japanese branded but made in China.

I too am not a huge fan of Chinese-made products, and being in the manufacturing arena, China is our mortal enemy, so I absolutely know where you are coming from. It's kind of funny to me that Shorai is an American company with Japanese branded batteries that are made in China, talk about multi-national. I too was put off by the fact that the batteries are made in China, that is, until I got one and held it in my hands. It really is a high quality piece and moreover, it works very well.

Shorai claims that these batteries are made in their own "tightly controlled factory", and to be honest, I believe that they are not made in some hackjob factory that China is known for. The factory is ISO certified and it's just not possible to have a solid product like these batteries if the manufacturing plant is not well controlled. As with anything, all things are not created equal, and manufacturing facilities are no exception. Take for example Apple's products: high quality, great fit and finish, made in China.

With anything that is manufactured, it's a tricky balance of cost vs. where something is made. At $349 MSRP, these batteries are not cheap. Even at this price, it's hard to convince the average consumer to purchase one. At even $100 more, that customer base would be even smaller. But if these batteries were made anywhere else, I'd venture to guess that the price would probably be twice the price. And who is going to buy a $700 battery? Not very many people. So in many ways, the consumer dictates the price, which also dictates the place of manufacture. I know that's one of the most common arguments about made in China products, but it stands very true here. We're not talking about $2 vs. $4 nail clippers, we're talking about hundreds of dollars.

We chose Shorai batteries because they're one of the first Lithium Iron battery manufacturers to produce a widely available product at a consumer affordable price. We've been following Lithium Iron battery technology for over 5 years now, so for the most part I know what's out on the market. Also, Shorai has now been producing these batteries longer than a lot of manufacturers, and have had time to work out some of the initial run kinks. If you research into people using Shorai batteries, failures are very rare. The only place I've seen these batteries being a problem is with certain motorcycles that use a different type of charging system than the alternator in a car.

I've had the battery in my car for almost 8 months now with absolutely no problems, and I was only going to release our product if I was confident that the battery would be good enough for our potential customers. I know how picky NSX owners are, and honestly I think that's a good thing.

In the end, our goal was to provide a high quality, extremely light weight battery package that is affordable for car enthusiasts, and I strongly believe we achieved that goal.

At least though, you can rest assured that our bracket is made in the US (by 2 people in California!), heck, we even use USA made metal.

Seeing as my R32 Optima FAILED earlier this week, I ordered up this kit from Colin today and hopefully it'll be here soon. I'll report in after I get it installed.

It was great speaking with you Ed!

Colin,

if Shorai comes out with big capacity, would your bracket for the battery fit them?

I'm sure the battery will be a different/larger size, so It's highly doubtful that our tray will fit.

I didnt want to derail your thread... here was my 1yen:

This was looking like a good product for me, i was initially looking forward to it. Reading the posts here and some reviews online are looking promising mostly.

Last time i went to the Shorai site i noticed I couldnt find who made this stuff. I made a recent visit, seems you cant see who makes this stuff... . I wanted to dive a little deeper into the product.

I found it interesting that while "Shorai" is Japanese sounding, it is made in China. Feel free to correct me here. Even more interesting is that they even have the Japan flag emblem on their site, and products. This offends me a little bit, matter of fact its why you're reading this writing. Thats what set me off, making it look like a product from Japan (and perhaps sounding like it as well - I know 0 chinese). Not that China is not known for copying or taking others technologies. I see that they've done some partnering w/ NASCAR looking events on their site, made me chuckle as when I see visit the local hardware full of patriotic ads, are also full of Made in China products (Kobalt, Porter Cable, its endless). As a consumer attempting to make conscious purchases, this one hesitates me, especially as this was one of Japans best vehicles. As a consumer starting to make more conscious purchases, I'm hesitating on this one...

Last edited:
if you look at everything around you and flip it over, most of them are made in China, even American or Japan brand names. They are made over there because it is a cheap labor and of course any corporates always want to make more profits. I just got a Dell laptop and flipped it over..it said " made in China". My Ipad and Iphone as well. China is the second world largest economy. If you are that picky, you probably will end up saving a lot of monies.:tongue:

On a different note... Now that I've killed my battery twice leaving lights and stereo on while working on the car...

Recharging it with a booster is incredibly fast. At some small percentage charge this thing has 100% power. It's not like a partially charged lead acid that tries to crank but can't quite do it. You barely charge it and bam.. Turns the engine over FAST. I put a trickle charger on it thinking it would take hours... It took minutes for it to go from dead to cranking my engine fast. While its not holding its full charge capacity, power and capacity seem to not be related like in a standard battery. They are like switches. They go from full power to zero then zero to full power almost instantly. It's like my lithium ion drill. Anyway it's very convenient because with a small short charge start your car and be gone.

Last edited:
Hi Colin, got mine Friday, Sept 6 and I am totally amazed at the weight and the size of the whole thing. If only it would be that easy to lose personal weight, now that would be totally amazing. Nice Looking Product.

Joe

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI WHite

Hi Colin,

Mine has been in service for a couple of weeks now and it works great.
I have only let my car sit ... maybe 4 days, but no issues.
Excellent workmanship - class addition to my (or ... any) car.
I work in electronics that use a battery backup solution and I had a bunch of fun passing my battery around the office - amazing response.
Then for people to look way back in the front area of my car and shake their heads in disbelief such a small battery can do the job.

I usually keep my political card close - but the China issue most likely doesn't come up when we make most of our purchases.
I like to buy products with "made in USA" on them - just to know I am supporting local and getting local "respend" of my dollars.

The company I work for produces products in China that have an operating temp of -40C to +85C.
These products are designed in the US - parts are qualified in the US and built to our specifications.
I visit frequently and the factory is sophisticated - efficient - and extremely quality conscious.
Because of this I am personally no longer stymied off by "made in China" when I make a purchase of an offshore good,
but in the reputation of the company that puts their name on it; after all - we all know the power of one complaint -
it drowns out any positive views on a company.

Thanks for becoming a Shorai dealer, putting together a concise modification for my car, and helping out the
rest of us who have participated.

Al

Last edited:
We are going to extend the group buy for the maximum group buy time of 90 days, so the last day will be Sept 19th!

We are still planning on doing the drop test and cold temperature test, I apologize for lagging on those, as I know some of you are really looking forward to the results. Finding a suitable and safe place to drop the rig is proving to be harder to find than expected. We've sourced a warehouse and fork lift that are high enough to get a ~25mph drop test, and are in communication on a schedule for us to do it.
There's only 8 days left before the GD expires. Will these tests be done in time? Thanks.

Here's my experience: I've been running Optima batteries for years, but last fall my 3yr old battery went dead on me, had to be hooked up to the monster recharger at Batteries Plus which brought it back, and it worked until two weeks ago when it failed again. For the last time.

I had seen this thread and knew if I had to spend big money on a new battery, it would be something other than an Optima. I got the battery through a contact of mine, and the mount from Colin (I think I saved $10, so get the whole package from him and don't dick around). The battery comes with some offset and right angle terminal adapters, and Colin sends the post adapters with the mount. I thought I'd start with the posts directly on the battery and see how it went together.

Here's the setup!

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

The quality of the mount is excellent:

IMG_0088.jpg

So putting it together went great - but one suggestion - make the top bar "fit" into the side bars so it'll stay put while you put the cap screws in. It could be bad taking it out of the car and having the bar slide forward and bridge the + and -...

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

I added my Battery Tender hard wire connection into the mix, for when the car sits around. I'll disconnect the battery negative lead over the winter.

IMG_0095.jpg

Here's how it looked after screwing the mount to the battery tray. You know what makes me happy? Dropping the screws through the mounting holes and having them stick out the factory-drilled holes so you can screw the nuts on from the bottom. Very cool. Tightening them from underneath was a breeze.

IMG_0096.jpg

You know what doesn't make me happy? Not test fitting the connections and finding out after its all snugged down that the posts don't have enough room around them to push on either cable. Damn. Out it comes.

So I decided to not do the right angle thing and went with the step adapters that bring the posts above the top of the battery like normal:

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Back in she goes, and everything fits like a glove!

IMG_0099.jpg

It worked just like a battery should, and I'll keep you posted should I have any issues...the only one I can think of is now finding a way to trim 35lbs off the back of the car to keep it balanced. :smile:

GO BUY YOURS NOW!

Last edited:
Back