• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shots of silver NSX

For Gadgetman - tracked down some silver NSX shots for you:

Hrzmx8.jpg

ZONFg4.jpg

xB5UOv.jpg

looks kinda like sebring.....is the ding below the door handle for a key:confused:

The silver is a good color for daily driving, easy to keep clean, and less noticeable by speeding ticket vendors. :)
Perhaps appeals more to old guys like me.

I like the silver..but it contrasts the black front and roof, and the front is the least attractive styling language of the whole car imho...

My goodness that key hole bugs me, can someone ask Ted why there's a key hole in the middle of the door

Wow. That is really really bad looking. I thought it must be a one-off or pre-production thing, but I see it ion multiple images now that pointed out. Disturbingly, it is NOT visible in the configurator renderings. Dumb dumb dumb.

Finally! I thought i'd never see what the new silver looks like

My goodness that key hole bugs me, can someone ask Ted why there's a key hole in the middle of the door

Because it is staying "true to form" with the previous gen NSX, which also has a keyhole in the middle of the door.

Looks like key hole is on drivers side only. You need a way to get into the car incase the battery on the key fob dies.

There is no key holder on the Corvette door (I'm sure the same for other cars)--- if electrical goes out, you use key hole on trunk. Inside there is a way to open the drivers door via a cable.

For Gadgetman - tracked down some silver NSX shots for you:

Hrzmx8.jpg

ZONFg4.jpg

xB5UOv.jpg

Hey BM/,blue_myriddn Thanks!!!

Great shots to help judge a bit more, by but again like a few others in overcast skies, it doesn't offer much pop.
I like what I see to a degree realizing how some of my other silver Toys (RL, 350Z, and GT-R) vary with lighting.
Other colors including the V Red and Blue or the Whites for that matter would not show that well in such lighting either. So I won't be turned off... yet.
V Red would be my Plan B, and C White Plan C.
At least these assorted angles do confirm how I suspected it does a reasonable job of shadowing such that curves and surfaces change hues accent more.
As for contrasting with black (as mentioned here) I see it not that much different then most others like Red White & Blue.
I do not like the added CF spoiler on this. Looks like it is tacked on.. which it somewhat is.
So now I just hope to see SS in brighter lighting and maybe bright wheels (polished (as I'm ordering) vs machined preferred).
Since my order won't get in till late April or early May I should have time to see what I need to finalize.
Thnx again

There many things they could choose to stay true to form. They could of put the key hole on the handle

The keyhole needs to be attached to the door locking mechanism so it can manually open the door.
The door handles lift up so how would you design a manual unlocking mechanism on such a part and connect it?
And putting it in the trunk like a corvette is fine if you have a front engine but mid-engine with turbos etc maybe not so much.

Give Honda some credit for not being total bozos on a new design.
If they could have placed it in a less conspicuous area they would have.

..putting it in the trunk like a corvette is fine if you have a front engine but mid-engine with turbos etc maybe not so much

??? They couldn't route a single thin cable from the mini-trunk to the door frame to unlatch? Why is that so hard? Think of all the cooling routing all the way to the front of the car.

??? They couldn't route a single thin cable from the mini-trunk to the door frame to unlatch? Why is that so hard? Think of all the cooling routing all the way to the front of the car.

Let's think about it.
Judging by this picture the locking mechanism is in the door like on the original NSX and the lock clamps on the u shaped anchor on the frame.
So how would you run a cable from the trunk to the door lock?

JO-Acura-NSX-2017-interior.jpg

In the Corvette the locking mechanism is on the frame and the anchor is on the door so you can use a cable to activate the lock.
2016-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-door-panel.jpg

Personally, at high speed or in an accident, I would want the lock in the door clamping onto an anchor mounted on the frame like the NSX.
It's a positive time proven locking system.
If there is an electrical glitch in the Corvette and the locking mechanism on the frame unlocks while driving the door could open.
Not so good.

So for a more secure door locking mechanism the NSX ends up with a keyhole in the door.
Small price to pay in my mind.

As far as the cooling routing I would think it would run under the center of the car, like the original NSX.
Why would anyone run cooling along the outside of the chassis around the doors?

Last edited:
Both locks involve a hook and a latch. I see no difference in safety--- Maybe I'm not understanding you. Both cars can lock/unlock electronically so I suppose have a chance of a glitch, but I imagine safety rules and common sense suggest that even an unlocked door will not fly open in an accident.

Look, the stupid door dimple is not the end of the world, but it is pretty ugly, IMHO.

Both locks involve a hook and a latch. I see no difference in safety--- Maybe I'm not understanding you.

I'm thinking the NSX door has a mechanical latching mechanism activated by a handle on the inside and outside.
The lock itself is likely activated by a solenoid.
So to lock and unlock is an electrical system but the door latching and unlatching is mechanical.
In the NSX the door latch mechanism is inside the door and the latch (anchor) itself is in the door frame.
To open the NSX door requires a mechanical pull on a handle (inside or outside the door)
You can see the NSX door opening handle in this pic.

2017-acura-nsx-interior2.jpg

In a Corvette the latching mechanism that holds the door closed is in the frame and the anchor is on the door.
Then the lock is electrically activated like the NSX.
I've read however that the unlatching mechanism in the Corvette is also electric not manual like the NSX.
In this pic you can see the door opener is a button that activates the electric latching mechanism not a door pull operating a mechanical system like the NSX.

2016-chevrolet-corvette-z06-coupe-spice-red-04.jpg

So I believe the NSX uses a mechanically operated door opening/latching system and an electrical locking/unlocking system
The Corvette door uses an electrically operated door opening/latching systems as well as an electrical locking unlocking system.

So if an electrical glitch occurs in the Corvette system it's possible the door could unlock and unlatch while driving.
In the NSX an electrical glitch could unlock, but the door is still being held closed by the mechanically operated latch system.
That's why I think the NSX system is superior to the Corvette.

The Corvette door uses an electrically operated door opening/latching systems as well as an electrical locking unlocking system.

You are right (at least it feels like an electric switch and not a mechanical switch) and I see your point, but I still think it is a distinction without a difference in terms of safety. Furthermore, if a key hole is necessary, they should have made it in-line with the handle-- and perhaps covered by a body-covered lid.

Does anyone *like* the looks of the thing? That should be the question.

I have another idea?
The door handle pops out partially, and then needs to be operated further to open the door.
So, what if the end (which opens) of the lever concealed the key hole, and the key was designed/shaped as needed to enable insertion with lever only partially open?

This could solve everything.
Hey Acura... are you reading?

Last edited:
I have a friend with a 911 and when his battery died, he couldn't open his door. He found a way to get in later on, but in the heat of the moment, he wished he had a keyhole

Back