• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Silly Season

Re: Heikki to McLaren or Toyota? it's up to Ron

Heikki's waiting for the call from Ron who's pondering speed and the future vs. Spanish sponsor $$. Pedro has the sponsor $$, Heikki's probably got a trunk load of cheese or whatever Finland's famous for. :rolleyes:

But if this quote

is true, Ron should pick Heikki, don't ya think?

And more power to Hamo. :cool: Of course he may be saying that now to make Fred look small, but at least he said it. More than I can say for some guys out there.

I don't think Heikki is going to make Hamilton feel challenged. LH outdrove the double world champ hands down all season and should have had the title wrapped up if not for many mechanical issues/bad luck.

Heikki had a great rookie season but he's not in the top 10 of drivers IMO. DLR is not going to win anything...I see McLaren signing someone better--unless of course the good drivers are being scared away by McLaren's shenanigans and recent reputation. They have money to burn as any driver is going to be cheaper than Alonso and they're paying Hamilton bottom dollar. I do think they would prefer a youngster so

I'm sure Hamilton doesn't mind being pushed and I'm still not sure what to make of the Hamilton/Alonso relationship. Was Hamilton getting arrogant by constantly beating the champ or was Alonso being tormented and neglected by the team because he was getting beaten?

Re: Heikki to McLaren or Toyota? it's up to Ron

I don't think Heikki is going to make Hamilton feel challenged. LH outdrove the double world champ hands down all season and should have had the title wrapped up if not for many mechanical issues/bad luck.

Mechanical issues and bad luck plague all drivers. I think he blew the last race. He'll be very tough to beat next year, without a doubt.

Re: What's driving Ron's decision process?

Heikki had a great rookie season but he's not in the top 10 of drivers IMO.... I see McLaren signing someone better--
OK, let's chase this thought a bit. Who would be better and available? Or do you think everyone's available because Ron can buy out anyone's contract? How hurting is McLaren after the fine? Could be just a rumor but I heard he had to sell a personal yacht for $43 mill coincidentally (?) at the same time his minor partner sold a plane for $4 mill. If money is a concern, he doesn't have to buy out Heikki, so that will be probably be a pretty cheap deal.

they're paying Hamilton bottom dollar
Didn't Hamo get a $100 mill + deal a couple of months ago? It might have been a 5 year deal, but still $20 mill + /year doesn't sound like botom dollar.

Assuming PDLR is not really a factor, if Ron passes Heikki up, (because, as you say, he's not that good or as rumor has it, Ron doesn't like his connection with Flaming Flavio) the common forum belief is that Heikki will displace Trulli at Toyota. Is Jarno better than Heikki? (Jarno's been midpack a long time, which tends to sap the knife edge competitiveness out of a guy.) Would Ron accept Trulli or even want that scenario?

Just some questions.

Re: OK, we're finally done

Heikki teamed with Hamo
I think this is a great combination and hope that they compete with each other in the best possible way; pushing each other to raise the bar instead of fighting. We will see. We will also see how much of the McLaren trouble was due to Ron and team politics and how much of it was just pouting Nando.

Re: Christmas came early

That's huge and the best news we've had all for a couple of seasons. I had forgotten all about that since there's been no talk of that since back in the spring.

Here's to mother Honda for finally waking up to what is (was) probably the basic problem. And needless to say, Fry's stock just skyrocketed. :cool:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back