• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slip slidin' away -- crappy tires or crappy driver?

Took a corner this a.m. rather "briskly", and to my surprise the car started sliding. I was able to get it under control no problem, but was surprised by the slippage.

I've taken that same corner many times in my CRX, at similar or greater speeds, and never slid.

Is it my tires? The NSX has the Bridgestone tires; my CRX has Yoko A008's.

Or am just a sucky driver?

-Bob ('94 #496)

There are many possible causes. It could be driver input, or pavement irregularity, or worn tread, or improper tire pressures, or who knows what.

You didn't mention which model Bridgestone tires (they make Firestone tires, after all) but the OEM Bridgestone RE010 is a very good, very sticky tire, with more precise cornering than the A008.

Flaminio - I agree with nsxtacy that it could be any number of things - but the comparison between NSX and CRX may be another possibility also. The handling charateristics of a mid engine vehicle are different - better - but do take some getting used to. when you say you were sliding was it under or oversteer? where you braking, coasting, or accelerating into the corner - apex, etc... way too many possible variables for anyone here to give you feedback, almost have to have been in the car with you!

A couple things come to mind after experiencing a similar situation when I first got my NSX. I had an M3 and drove the same corner every morning to work. About 2 or 3 weeks after getting the NSX one morning I was taking the same corner and yikes what's the back-end doing. I punched it and everything came out like it was planned. But this got me thinking too!

I don't think it's the driver but potentially a combination of factors: possible cold tires, cold road, slight wetness and maybe lack of tread left on the rear tires.

For me I think it was a combination of all of these. However I've since taken that same corner with new OEM tires under similar conditions and haven't been able to break the back-end loose. In fact I've been trying to break the car loose and haven't been able to consistently with the new tires.

I'm curious as to how is your inner tread wear on the back?

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 13 October 2000).]

Back