• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slippery slope...

Just wanted to say thanks and introduce myself. I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while reading up on all things NSX. Currently own an 04 996 cab that I've had for 3-4 years and have been thinking about what I would like to move on to. The Porsche has been a great car, but I think I'm ready to enjoy something different. For a while I was thinking about picking up a Lotus Elise, have come close to buying one a few different times but the seller either backed out or something wasn't right with the car. I followed a NSX on the interstate about a month ago and it reminded me that I've always loved the looks and design of the car. Like many people, I can tell you about the first few times I saw the NSX growing up. Had a neighbor down the street from my parents that I used to mow lawns for that had a red one. I swear I never mowed a straight line when he had it out of the garage because I couldn't take my eyes off of the car... On a side note I've never actually been in an NSX or driven one, so if there is a member close to Columbia, SC that wouldnt mind showing me around I would really appreciate it. I'll treat to food/beer after!

So long story short here I am. Looking forward to doing some more research and learning more about the cars. I'll probably sell the 996 in another 1-2 months, so won' be purchasing anything before that. Budget is in the mid 30's, and the car will have to be a targa (wife and I enjoy our convertibles too much). Totally open to long distance purchases as well, we live in the Carolina's and flew to Chicago for the 996 and Houston for my wife's car. The road trip home has become one of our favorite adventures.

Any advice you can offer will be much appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer to the purchase.

As a fellow non-owner I'm in about the same boat. Some personal matters have me delaying a decision to buy until the first week of next month but I've been sort of keeping my eyes wide open for the last couple of months. I'm in northern West Virginia so my search area is probably about the same as your own. At some point, and that point appears to be about Denver or so, its just too costly in time or milage to go get the car; for the most part I've confined my search to east of the Mississippi, but of course I'd go to California to drive just the right car back home.

Here's something I've noticed that I think will help you out. I find the perfect car about once per month. That is to say I find one that fits my criteria, the ideal side of it, perfectly and is right as far as price, extras, originals, milage, all that sort of stuff. One per month. I saw one of those dark dark green ones for sale in Chicago a couple of months ago, I thought no car could be finder, but it came and went and then there was a black one on E-Bay that was down in Florida and could not have been better. That one sold a month ago but even as we speak there is a beautiful '92 on the block in North Carolina. So you probably see where I'm going with this - be ready but don't jump at the first pretty one you see like another good one was never going to come around. People seem to take pretty good care of these cars and there are many fine examples to be found. That's about the only advice I'd give, other than run a CarFax of course. How do you feel about mods or miles, original parts and Owner's Manuals and things like that? Sometimes it helps to think out loud (in print) and get ideas from others about how to look at the purchases and sale.

search through the wiki,we have buyers guide info as well as changes per year. 95-96 were the first years for the T and in 97 the car received the 3.2 liter and 6 speed that many say makes the car more fun.

From what little I've been able to pick up I think I'd want a 97-99 car for the targa and upgraded engine. Really set on getting the targa so that eliminates some of the earlier options. With that being said I still haven't really spent any time in either option so I may find that I like the coupe better. Of course the newer the car the more money we're talking about too, so for the right car I'd probably be able to spend high 30's for but that's about my limit. I like the look of the pop up headlights as well.

As far as mods I'd prefer something close to stock. I don't mind updated exhaust or wheels as long as they're appropriate, and some cosmetic mods are fine as well. I'm hesitant to look at car where the engine has been modded simply because if I didn't do it I have no idea how well it was done. Not to say I wouldn't want more power, but I've found that I'm pretty happy with the performance of my 996 on the street.

I the end I think what I really need to do is spend some time crawling around a few cars to see what to look for and discover what's really important to me. As I have a few months still before I'm ready to buy I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible.

I'm open to all opinions and feedback so keep em' coming!

1997-2001 are the engine you want.
1991-1995 are the coupe chassis which is a stiffer

targa chassis twists even when turning into a parking space.

2002-2005 have the updated headlights which( some keep telling theirselves ) make the car look more modern ( their opinion )

but if your the kinda car driver that likes having the open air of the targa
then go fo it.

if you take corners at break neck speeds daily and have no fear then the coupe is for you.

You might want to increase your budget to $40-45k since that's what clean 97-01's are going for. For ~$35k you can get a nice 95-96' but it won't have the 3.2 or 6-speed.

1997-2001 are the engine you want.
1991-1995 are the coupe chassis which is a stiffer

targa chassis twists even when turning into a parking space.

2002-2005 have the updated headlights which( some keep telling theirselves ) make the car look more modern ( their opinion )

but if your the kinda car driver that likes having the open air of the targa
then go fo it.

if you take corners at break neck speeds daily and have no fear then the coupe is for you.

1997-2001 with manual transmission have the 3.2L engine, the 6 speed transmission, and upgraded brakes.

All automatics, regardless of year, have the 3.0L engine with 250 Hp (20 fewer than the same engine with the manual). I consider the automatic cars undesirable.

It is my personal opinion, but I think there are too many modified NSX cars. I mean 18/19 wheels, body kits, etc. Search for a near original 1997+ manual transmission car in the color of your choice. My ideal car would be a coupe, but they are rare 97+.

Keep up the search, you'll find the right car eventually.

Funny, but we flew into Columbia, SC to buy or first NSX.....sorry to have swiped an early coupe from the area :biggrin:

Brian
(on the way home to Michigan, VIA the Tail of the Dragon)

NSX conquers the Dragon by NSXbrian, on Flickr

Back