• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Smog certificate in California

How has eveyone done in passing California smog tests. Do some years do better or worse than others? Do all cars generally pass? What is the most common failures?

I just went through a fairly nightmarish smog-check on my '94. Basically, it didn't pass, and they didn't know why. Ultimately it was determined that my catalytic converter was kaput, and needed to be replaced. Then it took another week to get the part. Altogether my car was in the shop for about 10 days.

The good news is that the dealer<sup>1</sup> gave me a loaner Integra for the duration, and finagled a warranty repair for the lot, so it didn't cost me a dime (beyond the usual check/certificate charge).

-Bob ('94 #496)

1. Los Gatos Acura

The most common reason for a stock NSX not passing emissions tests is not letting the car warm up sufficiently. Drive it for at least 20 minutes prior to arriving - preferably all in first or second gear - so that the engine is nice and HOT.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The most common reason for a stock NSX not passing emissions tests is not letting the car warm up sufficiently. Drive it for at least 20 minutes prior to arriving - preferably all in first or second gear - so that the engine is nice and HOT.

From my experience, this applies to all Honda's (besides the new LEV/ULEV certified ones.)

Back